Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted

Evening all. I'm still alive.

Silly question time. Picked this up on eBay the other day. 1875. The wide spacing of the colon, in relation to the G of REG, would suggest obverse 13.

Thoughts on whether the T's of BRITT are sufficiently touching, to make it a 13#, sought. 

Desperate coin I know. Been delivered but working away from home at mo, so sellers photos.Screenshot_20260916-214700.thumb.png.2f3b30686a045aec8ac66cf380e6a363.png

Posted
1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Think it's a penny, Bob - bust of Victoria too big and too near linear circle at top to be a halfpenny. D'oh !!

Of course it is.

Listed as a half penny but I was to busy looking at the finer detail to notice the elephant.

I'm back home tonight but yes. Definitely a penny. Thanks.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

In the past few months I have been working on the identification of an unusual anomaly in the 1865 half penny.  I bring it to your attention out of respect to the principle of the group to improve our knowledge.   In four examples collected since 2024 the colons are I assume then the die differs from any I have seen since I've been collecting.  The colons are not rounded but square/diamond shaped.  The closest similar colons exist on the Canadian bronze coins.  I'm sure someone else must have noticed this but I can find no other references to this.  I have it in coins which are EF to fine and in each case the arrangement of the colons is I think the same. 

I will post pictures if anyone is interested.  

CM261005-114211005.jpg

CM261005-114257008.jpg

CM261005-114019002.jpg

Edited by DrLarry

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...