Mr T Posted February 6, 2022 Posted February 6, 2022 Is the die crack through the R on the one in the slab? I can't quite make it out. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 I'd like a second opinion on what I believe to be another 1861 6 & b half penny. Although low grade, I think it can be identified. It is NOT an obverse 7. It appears to have the die break above the R in REG as well as a bit more of the O in HONI SO. Additionally, although difficult to capture in an image, I think there is evidence of a double incuse line. All indicative of an obverse 6. All comments appreciated. Thank you Quote
mrbadexample Posted February 25, 2022 Author Posted February 25, 2022 7 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said: I'd like a second opinion on what I believe to be another 1861 6 & b half penny. Although low grade, I think it can be identified. It is NOT an obverse 7. It appears to have the die break above the R in REG as well as a bit more of the O in HONI SO. Additionally, although difficult to capture in an image, I think there is evidence of a double incuse line. All indicative of an obverse 6. All comments appreciated. Thank you I can't see any reason to disagree with your ID Gary. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 1 hour ago, mrbadexample said: I can't see any reason to disagree with your ID Gary. Thank you, I did mean 6 and F though... Obviously a reverse F, was looking for confirmation on Obverse. Thank you for that. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 (edited) 8 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said: I'd like a second opinion on what I believe to be another 1861 6 & b half penny. Although low grade, I think it can be identified. It is NOT an obverse 7. It appears to have the die break above the R in REG as well as a bit more of the O in HONI SO. Additionally, although difficult to capture in an image, I think there is evidence of a double incuse line. All indicative of an obverse 6. All comments appreciated. Thank you Sorry, all. I'm unable to edit, but I did intend to say Obverse 6, and reverse F as previously discussed... Thank you Edited February 25, 2022 by Bronze & Copper Collector Quote
mrbadexample Posted February 25, 2022 Author Posted February 25, 2022 10 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said: Thank you, I did mean 6 and F though... Obviously a reverse F, was looking for confirmation on Obverse. Thank you for that. Only checked the obverse. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 1 hour ago, mrbadexample said: Only checked the obverse. Understood... and Thanks again Quote
Zo Arms Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 I knew what you meant. I put a lot of faith in the REG F D colons as it's usually all I have to work with. They are saying to me, obverse 6. Definitely not 7. And REG to far from circle to be a 4. Re the flaw above the R in reg. If I'm looking at yours correctly, it appears to be above the hollow of the R whereas on mine and Bernie's it's above the leg. For some reason the top leaves and the forehead are shouting 5 at me? I see no reason why there shouldn't be a 5 + F out there. I can fully understand the problems I present to these pages now. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 33 minutes ago, Zo Arms said: I knew what you meant. I put a lot of faith in the REG F D colons as it's usually all I have to work with. They are saying to me, obverse 6. Definitely not 7. And REG to far from circle to be a 4. Re the flaw above the R in reg. If I'm looking at yours correctly, it appears to be above the hollow of the R whereas on mine and Bernie's it's above the leg. For some reason the top leaves and the forehead are shouting 5 at me? I see no reason why there shouldn't be a 5 + F out there. I can fully understand the problems I present to these pages now. Hi Bob, Thanks for the input. Regarding the possibility of obverse 5, I dismissed that option because the coin in question does not have the scalloped top center leaf that I have seen on all obverse 5 specimens whether or not they have the indentation flaw on the forehead. Conversely, I have not seen that scalloped top center leaf on any other obverse other than an obverse 5. Ergo, in my opinion, it is not an obverse 5. Quote
mrbadexample Posted February 25, 2022 Author Posted February 25, 2022 1 hour ago, Zo Arms said: Re the flaw above the R in reg. If I'm looking at yours correctly, it appears to be above the hollow of the R whereas on mine and Bernie's it's above the leg. For some reason the top leaves and the forehead are shouting 5 at me? Note to self: look harder. I thought the die crack above the R matched but can now see it's in a different place. I don't see a flaw in the forehead where I would expect to see one for obverse 5 though. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 37 minutes ago, mrbadexample said: Note to self: look harder. I thought the die crack above the R matched but can now see it's in a different place. I don't see a flaw in the forehead where I would expect to see one for obverse 5 though. Obverse 5 does not always display the flaw in the forehead, however every obverse 5 I have seen has the scalloped top center leaf, whereas I have never seen that top center scalloped leaf on any other obverse than on an obverse 5. I would not necessarily use the die crack above the R as a determinant, however I believe that there is enough other evidence to confirm the obverse as an obverse 6. 1 Quote
Mr T Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 I only had a brief look but in my notes I had obverses 4 and 5 with the rotated D in F:D: and obverse 6 having the straight D in F:D: (from Dracott's articles I think). I didn't look too closely at which obverse it actually was but the D looks a bit rotated to the right. Quote
Zo Arms Posted June 11, 2022 Posted June 11, 2022 (edited) Just a quick one. Views on this one please. Obverse 4 or 6.? I'm thinking a 4. Don't think there's enough of the honi so O showing to be a 6 and REG is to close to the linear circle. Edited June 11, 2022 by Zo Arms Cropping Quote
Zo Arms Posted June 11, 2022 Posted June 11, 2022 Thanks for confirmation Bernie. I'll post the reverse when it arrives. Quote
Zo Arms Posted June 16, 2022 Posted June 16, 2022 Arrived this morning. Freeman 272. 4+F. R17. 4 Quote
Zo Arms Posted September 16, 2022 Posted September 16, 2022 Evening all. Mr Freeman gave the above coin, F272, 4 + F a rarity rating of R17. 51-100. Dracott gives it a 6 rating, which means extremely rare. 5 known to him at the time of his article. Given that Freeman admits that his scale is an educated guess. And that some years have passed since Dracott wrote his findings, does anyone have a rough idea of the quantity of F272's known please? London coins have only sold 2, that I can see.. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted September 16, 2022 Posted September 16, 2022 I have 2 in my collection and 1 in my spares. Total 3 in my possession right now. 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.