British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Cleaned/Wiped

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1916-King-George-V-Great-Britain-Silver-Halfcrown-Half-1-2-Crown-PCGS-MS64-/362050010579?hash=item544bdcbdd3:g:qLcAAOSwfsFZd2ty

This coin lacks eye appeal and looks like it's been cleaned at some time yet still manages to achieve a PCGS MS 64  grading. 

That looks unattractive. It was probably dipped at some time and not washed properly. TPGs don't seem to mind dipped coins for some reason. Cleaning is a variable exercise.

Several others he has for sale have similar toning. Surprise, surprise...Wonder if he was the submitter (JB)?

Mr Blyth tends to overcook his images as he thinks everyone will bid on toned coins, all of his images are the same. Attached is the coin on the PCGS site

Screenshot 2017-07-29 08.55.26.png

Nice add on that Dave. Looks a bit more palatable, though wonder if Taco Bell napkins were utilised?

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

Nice add on that Dave. Looks a bit more palatable, though wonder if Taco Bell napkins were utilised?

Not sure why he feels the need to over saturate every coin he lists, it makes them look more like a cartoon type picture

Guest Metalslug

Just stumbled upon this by chance, I was the one who actually won this coin.

I have to say it does actually look much nicer in person than what is shown in the photo.

Even the PCGS photo is not great.

50 minutes ago, Guest Metalslug said:

Just stumbled upon this by chance, I was the one who actually won this coin.

I have to say it does actually look much nicer in person than what is shown in the photo.

Even the PCGS photo is not great.

Glad to hear it. It is always a nice surprise when the coin you get looks better than the seller's photos.