British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
George111

Interesting metal detecting finds

I know I've already put a similar object on here but this has part of the lock that locked onto the tap ie tap lock  

008 (640x480).jpg

Post medieval coin weight with shield, sword and ewer stamped into it  

391 (480x640).jpg

• Like 1

Nice early weight, not a coin weight but a trade weight, cant find the book at the mo but I think the shield dates from the Commonwealth period.

Jerry

I thought it maybe a trade weight

Its hard to see on the photo but there is either a cross or star in the top left corner the sword I think is for London

The Commonwealth was the period from 1649 onwards when England, along later with Ireland and Scotland, was ruled as a republic following the end of the Second English Civil War and the trial and execution of Charles I

Flash, Jelida or anyone I have no idea what this is ? have you?

Going by the "wear" I think the first picture is the back 

And the second picture looks like it could of held glass beads or stones ect

And the third is the profile looks like it maybe links to another in a chain?   

172.jpg

173.jpg

175.jpg

Interesting but patina and overall manufacture doesn't lead me to believe it's particularly old. I could be completely out but imagine if it was attached to a plastic or composite cap, it then could be used as a basic cap opener. The two bulges would allow for a thumb twist? Perhaps on an engine or a Jerry can type thing?  I really don't know matey.

Edited by Flash

I was thinking more on the lines of a cloak fastener

3 of the claws are bent which might indicate that they held a curved "something" that was round in shape. The 4th claw is upright which may indicate that it was either straightened to release whatever it held or it was never used.

if it was a broach or similar then it would have some kind of fixing somewhere on it so it could be attached to clothing.

i am going to take a guess and say it's some kind of costume jewellery

Hi IanB

The 4th claw does look like it has been bent back so not where it should be

there is no sign of having a pin attached to be a broach

Looks far too heavy for jewelry or clothing fitment. I think the indents may be to allow the fingers to get a grip on the ridge, and that it is some sort of locking cap. There are similar but not identical images on the net with radial arms. Could prove quite collectible if off a vehicle.

Jerry

That theory does not tally with the "high points" of wear and there is no wear inside the "claws" to say they gripped onto anything like oil can or be some old radiator cap ect

The picture shows they had large cloak fastening

Cloak fastening.jpg

You are being fanciful again, George, there is nothing to suggest that this is any kind of brooch or clothing fastener, and everything to suggest a utilitarian function and age of less than 150 years, the patina suggests brass and the manufacture appears modern. The only 'wear' I can see in the photo is to the patina, and has nothing to do with pre loss useage. I have not found an exact parallel but you can see a jerry can lid of similar form below.

Jerry

Sorry im not being funny but I really cant see it being just a oil//fuel can cap which is flat to make a seal

My object has a "belly" (pic3) and what you think could be "finger turns" would be upside down also the radial arms would need to grip the flange's? of a jerry can ect

How ever I will have to bow to your knollage as I can't come up with anything to support my fantasy :)

I think this is part of a sword pommel off of a medieval sword

003 (640x480) (2).jpg

005 (640x480) (640x480).jpg

Edited by George111

2 hours ago, George111 said:

I think this is part of a sword pommel off of a medieval sword

003 (640x480) (2).jpg

005 (640x480) (640x480).jpg

Why do you think that, George?

I note that it was fixed at the periphery by two iron screws or rivets, leaving a rectangular recess under. It has a Rococo style foliage design once silvered, both features suggesting an 18th century date. I wonder whether a strap guide is more likely.

Jerry

The gap at the top is smaller than the gap at the bottom which may mean it was attached to something which "tappers" like the forged handle of a sword does

I said think its medieval so I am not sure and know nothing about designs of each century

Cleaning up one of the "fixing points" there seems to be a rectangular shaped hole where a pin/peg would of joint it to the other side

Looks like a livery button to me. The larger ones can come in two parts and the back often separates.

Would of thought it to be too thick and heavy gauged metal and with 2 different sized "slots" it was attached to something that tapered like a sword

or dagger not a livery button

006 (640x480).jpg

007 (640x480).jpg

008 (640x480).jpg

No, its not a livery button; doesn't display a livery for a start. But its not a sword pommel, their form has been well studied . I agree the taper does suggest something slotted into it; I have seen these in the past but I cant remember where at the moment.

That's a nice horn guard its resting against.

Jerry

Well I never would of guest it is a horn protector I've got 3 of them in different styles

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/194362

They are actually fairly frequent and well known finds Flash, have you never found one? Totally unlike any knob or draw pull, with the coarse large diameter internal thread designed to be screwed onto a cow horns to protect man and beast alike. Plenty shown on the net. The general design is very consistent, though as George says there are some stylistic variations.

Jerry