British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
George111

Interesting metal detecting finds

Get out of it, that's most definitely a knob. For a start it doesn't look anything like the image you posted and two it's a knob. I've dehorned cows myself plenty of times and you would not fit the point of anything in that tiny thing. Perhaps they were designed for Badger horns? Also what 18th/19th century farmer is going to pay to either produce or purchase those when he could just as easily cut the horn off.  It would be quicker and definitely easier.

Not meaning to sound negative and enjoying the discussion but I have always said that the PAS is not fit for purpose. 

That said I'm definitely going to have a look through my knob box tonight - ooooeerrr!

http://oxhilldevons.com/2012/05/03/tutorial-fitting-horn-knobs/

Here is a tutorial on fitting the modern equivalent, and there is so much more on the net including old catalogues.

It seems so appropriate that I should be debating knobs with you, Flash.?

Jerry

• Like 2

do this in the animal doctoring book that belonged to my great-great-grandfather! I had always been curious about how the balls were screwed onto the horns, and it sounded like this method would really work. The book (printed in the 1880's) says to bake two large round potatoes, until they are not quite as done as you would like them to eat. Stick a hot potato on each horn, and leave them there until the potato cools down some. (10 minutes?) The hot moist potato sort of steams the horn, to soften it. Then you take the hot potato off the horn, and screw the threaded brass ball on as tight as you can with pliers. According to the book, it will never come off. If you try this, I want to know if it works as neatly as they say it will.

Here is a description from the 1880's of how to fit them.

Jerry

25 minutes ago, jelida said:

It seems so appropriate that I should be debating knobs with you, Flash.?

Well if you feel that way debate with yourself then.

Not had much else to put on here really lately

And I know I've put similar object but this is the first time I've found one with some leather from the farm   

002 (640x480).jpg

003 (640x480).jpg

Nice to see with the retaining wires and leather. Sometimes leather and even cloth survives when intimate with copper alloy, protected from bacterial or fungal action by the leaching copper salts, I have several mediaeval examples.

Jerry

Real old looking horse shoe could be saxon ? 

014 (640x480).jpg

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:29 PM, jelida said:

Why do you think that, George?

I note that it was fixed at the periphery by two iron screws or rivets, leaving a rectangular recess under. It has a Rococo style foliage design once silvered, both features suggesting an 18th century date. I wonder whether a strap guide is more likely.

Jerry

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=48233&title=strap-guide&cat=169

Looks like you were right jelida its a strap guide 

Edited by George111

Part of a lead post medieval decorative horse harness mount minus the iron fixing, it shows signs it was silver gilt at some point 

017 (640x480).jpg

018 (640x480).jpg

Yes, nice find, havn't had one of these for years.

Post medieval lead bag/sacking seal Harris of Calne Wilts bacon curers   

019 (640x480).jpg

020 (640x480).jpg

A double loop strap fitting from harness probably.19th century

016 (640x480).jpg

The bowl and part of the handle of a large (dessert) spoon made of copper could be anywhere from 13th-16th century in date and going by wear the user was right handed LOL

001 (640x480).jpg

002 (640x480).jpg

• Like 1

Nice find, probably C16 to C17 in brass (latten). These often had a mark stamped on the bowl below the stem, any sign? Many earlier ones in pewter came from the Thames in London, and more again from estuarine conditions in the low countries. Occasionally the stem and terminal/knop turn up.

Jerry

Yes its brass I filed the end of the stem stump there is some indented mark but cant tell what it is yet still too much green deposit to see any detail

Nice Charles I trade weight Crown over C with London sword and ewer makers mark

002 (640x480).jpg

Very nice, collectible weight, well done.

Jerry

Rather lovely white metal "silver" object surly this must of been hand crafted by a gold/silver smith? to make a tool to "press" this would of cost the earth

Don't know what age it is it has no hallmark hence me saying "white metal" 

It did have a cork insert but no back plate and loop but could be a button or cape fastener or cufflinks would of been made to have been engraved

It the same size as a predecimal 1 penny

009 (480x640).jpg

010 (480x640).jpg

Edited by George111

Leg off of a cooking pot made of copper alloy (brass) could be any where between 14th to 17th century in date

005 (640x480).jpg

Edited by George111

On 11 April 2016 at 10:58 PM, George111 said:

Rather lovely white metal "silver" object surly this must of been hand crafted by a gold/silver smith? to make a tool to "press" this would of cost the earth

Don't know what age it is it has no hallmark hence me saying "white metal" 

It did have a cork insert but no back plate and loop but could be a button or cape fastener or cufflinks would of been made to have been engraved

It the same size as a predecimal 1 penny

Definitely pressed which can be seen by the raised areas shown on the back, therefore Georgian/Victorian, as you say probably a button face

Well going by the "peening" hammer and punch marks used to dish the object I'm not so sure your right

I have found a few pieces with similar style, is that a hall mark at 2 o'clock on the front?

That area does look the most likely but it just looks like the rest of the patterned areas even though a jewellers eye glass

This might be more clearer to show it could of be hand made

001 (640x480).jpg