All Activity
- Past hour
-
Halfpenny ID check
Ukstu replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Never a dull moment on here. Always some drama 😆 - Today
-
I'd say EF myself. "I can imagine loads are around in VGC being kept as a "Ooooooooooh this will be worth loads in years to come!?!" so not expecting a huge value on it...." There were certainly collectors back then, but tended to collect hammered and early milled. Even by 1926 (the date of Spink's Milled Coinage) coins of Edward VII and later were considered too modern to be of interest, and 1887 collectors or even members of the public would have put them aside purely as mementoes, no thought they would be worth anything in years to come. In that condition I'd rate it about £40+ if the colour is good (not what the photo shows).
-
Halfpenny ID check
Coinery replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
With initial findings of 10% I don’t think we can get too excited about scarcity, though! I reckon there’ll be more than enough to go round! -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Just butthurt you got called out and exposed for talking rubbish about looking at 1000 coins 🤣 It's fascinating to see you preach about the obligation to welcome new collectors in one breath, and then hurl insult because someone simply offered findings of 40 coins looked at 4 examples found. -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
You seem to be a somewhat stupid man or women and seem limited in your understanding of the rules of statistical analysis. It's not my job to teach you even the basics of modelling estimated numbers and I have little or no desire to so. You illustrated perfectly what is fundamentally a failure of this forum. Although I'm assuming you are new to It's values you may be an accomplished collector. But you need to consider a broader purpose which is to encourage and enhance the enjoyment of a past time common to those here. Unless the environment is welcoming and fulfilling one the joy of predecimal collecting for new visitors ir retuning ones will die. To me it matters not how you choose to approach your membership but being an ignorant stupid person only you have to live with. Your methodology is as flawed as your personality. -
a 1887 Victorian Penny.... as you may know.. I'm not really a fan of Copper Penny's , however they did over the years end up in the box I'm working through, this one although a common date seem to be quite a clean one, dare I venture to mention possibly uncirculated?? opinion's welcome...👍 being a Coronation date I can imagine loads are around in VGC being kept as a "Ooooooooooh this will be worth loads in years to come!?!" so not expecting a huge value on it..... 🤔
-
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Im going to stop there at 4/40. -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
As sample size grows the numbers are coming down 4 of 36 now. -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
-
Ukstu started following Halfpenny ID check
-
Halfpenny ID check
Ukstu replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Would the terminology be lozenge shaped? They look lozenge rather than square. Stu. - Yesterday
-
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
My analysis was purely based on numbers presented to me by the tiny short sample. I didnt purchase anything. I do actively look for documented/published types, and keep my eye out for anything out the ordinary although I dont collect halfpennies I have gathered a fair few of the overdates and found a few rarer pairings, I find the series alot more complicated than pennies and I dont get the same thrill. I think because the HP's lack the popularity of the Penny Im not so driven to invest the time to search. -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
A quick small random sample of 12 coins, and instantly find 3 examples, I think itis fair to assume the surviving population is actually quite high. A 25% frequency out of such a small sample suggests this wasnt a rare occurrence from a single pair of die imo which is not worth much 😉 -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
-
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
-
Hello and Many thanks... it is a shame that its rubbed, it was the triangle lead me to Ireland the solid long cross took me to thinking Edward I, I can make out CIVI but I'm still way off with the shape of the fonts but its a learning curve 👍
-
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
No i just started looking at coins online and the 3rd coin I looked at is this example. https://dorsetcoincompany.co.uk/product/1865-bronze-halfpenny-victoria-young-head/ -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
-
Halfpenny ID check
secret santa replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
I'm no expert on halfpennies - I created the site in lockdown for something to do and would never suggest that it's an exhaustive source of info on halfpennies. I will add something about these colons once the position is clear. -
Halfpenny ID check
Coinery replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Interesting…as Peckris suggests, then! I found Richard’s halfpenny site, I can’t see that it specifically mentions square/diamond colons? I would’ve expected to find it there if it was a known thing! https://halfpennyvarieties.wordpress.com/home-page-recreated/ -
Halfpenny ID check
Coinery replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
I don’t quite follow you? Doesn’t Richard also have a halfpenny site, have you taken a look on there? -
You’ve finally got some scales 😃 Taking your weight, and using the criterion from the North article below, I’d say yours is an early issue (1280-1284?) Dublin farthing - Open Es & Cs and the clear wedge-tailed R of Rex. Whilst the reverse legend is weak, it does appear to me that there are both a D and an I starting in each quarter, making it Dublin (CIVI TAS DVBL INIE). I believe the only other mint for these farthings is Waterford (CIVI TAS VATE RFOR), so you can probably rule that out in this case…I’ll let you to decide what letters you see, it’ll be so much easier for you to confirm in-hand. https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/1997_BNJ_67_4.pdf
-
Halfpenny ID check
Peckris 2 replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
As the square colons are both consistent and global, they're clearly not accidental. In the absence of any knowledge from forum members, Michael Gouby would be your next port of call. -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Im making you aware I have seen the same feature on a 1861 Halfpenny. -
another sift through and I've not had a Hammered coin shared for awhile.... with a triangle shape I'm thinking Ireland coin, solid long cross its weight is 0.3 grms 11mm diameter by chance could this be a Irish Farthing of Edward I 🤔
-
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
I noticed on this halfpenny the features detailed in the attached image. I know its not B/R but I was still interested to identify the possible cause/reason.