British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

John Samuel

1842 groat

This coin was given to my daughter by a family member some years ago. A lovely piece of jewellery. But in numismatic terms, Forum member Rob has advised I "might be rapidly approaching melt".

But I post it in the hope people find it of interest.

post-8861-0-98976300-1441967885_thumb.jp

post-8861-0-42651300-1441967899_thumb.jp

At least the grade isn't too bad. i.e. it makes it a presentable piece of jewellery. I thought from the way you were describing it the mount had been removed to leave an unsightly blob as with the crown.

It's interesting to me to think that so many coins have been converted to jewellery in the past.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a coin.

It's interesting to me to think that so many coins have been converted to jewellery in the past.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a coin.

Except perhaps for one of those horrible (IMO) sovereign rings!

• Like 1

Besides sovereign rings/necklaces I've only seen someone wear a gold-painted sixpence necklace.

Too bad about the damage done by attaching the loop as the detail on Britannia at least looks decent enough.