British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

damian1986

The most highly coveted proof issues of the 19th century

Can each member list 2 or 3 examples of what they would consider the "the most highly coveted proof issues of the 19th century"?

Gothic crown, 1860 coppers and 1831 crown

• Like 1

Una and the Lion gold 5 pounds.

una_ov.jpg

Edited by brg5658

1839 Sovereign, Gothic crown and 1860 penny

Gonna stick with silver crowns and opt for 1825 crown,1831 crown and Gothic crown

1860 penny not proof, but nice choice anyway. 1817 Three Graces Crown Pattern I would pick.

Cheers my own would probably be 1831 as the only crown for the ruler, the gothic crown and possibly the Soho mint patterns and Taylor restrikes despite being common.

Why has no one mentioned the 1887 crown?

http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-victoria-proof-crown-1887-pr64-cameo-ngc-/a/3040-30049.s

Sold for just short of £3,000 and was described as follows:

Starkly contrasted between the raised devices and mirrored fields with eye-catching multicolored tone at the peripheries that attractively frames the centers. Certainly high-end overall, and undisputed as one of the most highly coveted proof issues of the 19th century.

One thing, Heritage do have some decent copywriters on their staff. However I hereby dispute the indisputable :D

Not a proof, but a pattern..

IMHO this one - a George IV Pattern Cown. 1820. Dramatic, innovative design. Very modern look for the early 1800's..

image_zpsy4mqdonn.jpg

Edited by Nicholas
  • Like 1

Not a proof, but a pattern..

IMHO this one - a George IV Pattern Cown. 1820. Dramatic, innovative design. Very modern look for the early 1800's..

image_zpsy4mqdonn.jpg

Looks familiar... :) Very nice thanks. I think it's a little kind on George IV though!

This coin with a similar estimate and the same date would do me:

540x360.jpg

The design can be had, however, much more cheaply by just buying one of the French pieces from a few years earlier... which I think I'll do in lieu of having a spare 20 grand. B)

1831 crown, Una and the Lion 5 Pounds, 1862 pattern penny with crown

Edited by Prax

The Hercules crown pattern is much more available in bronze form. I even got the ex-Norweb for about 800 quid. Simply beautiful, though I'd like the silver as well; believe that was the cover of a Spink auction catalogue 15 or so years ago.

I think if I remember rightly George IV was about 35 stone and could not move from his bed for the last few months of his life - prob not pretty sight so I agree the portrait is flattering on the crown.

By the was back to the original discussion, nothing apart from maybe a gold Gothic crown comes near the una and the lion

Three Graces, 1831 and Gothic Crowns for me too. I believe a few Una & Lion £5's were struck in silver - can I count them as Crowns?