British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

RPP

ID PLEASE

Aethelred II penny. Spink 1152, helmet type? Mint and moneyer... not sure.

Looks like.. +ÆÐELPINE M_O then ... CROL? Cricklade?

At least, that's the best I can do. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chip in soon!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Aethelred II Helmet penny, as Richard says.

Legend reads +AEDELSIGE M-O CROC making this Aethelsige on Cricklade.

Cheers Clive! (Didn't I do well ... for a beginner, at least!)

:D

Cheers Clive! (Didn't I do well ... for a beginner, at least!)

Very impressed! ;)

Well, I did have a copy of Spink to help.

:lol:

im new at these really old coin.

I collect what you call brand new :D i cant find any like this one online?

what is the value on a coin like this??

HistoricCoinage is your man. But my guess would be if you wanted to buy one you'd need £350+ for a similar coin.

The legends are a bit blundered and the flan a bit wavy, but the portrait is nice.

:D

Thanks. Here is one more but only half. can anyone help with id and value.

P1010154_zpshgws7r5n.jpg

P1010156_zpsbxvzq7ds.jpg

I believe .. S.1154, Aethelred II last small cross type.

Mint? ... Exeter, I think (EAXEC[...] )... though again with the proviso that I have no experience with the series!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Some of you may remember a Charles I Shilling with unusual legend double-striking that Richard posted a few months ago, and suggested he might be open to offers. Well given my renewed interest in late hammered I have today acquired this coin, which I like for many reasons

Charles_I_SH_S2791_My_Pic_01_zpsdo3l8zv0

(Sorry Stu, I know you don't like these!)

Edit: Wrong thread, can be removed!

Edited by Paulus

Some of you may remember a Charles I Shilling with unusual legend double-striking that Richard posted a few months ago, and suggested he might be open to offers. Well given my renewed interest in late hammered I have today acquired this coin, which I like for many reasons

Charles_I_SH_S2791_My_Pic_01_zpsdo3l8zv0

(Sorry Stu, I know you don't like these!)

No, it's alright, it's Ch..chuffin' great! :)

It's true, I'm not a massive fan of the C1 shillings, but that's not a bad coin, it's actually hammered onto the flan, and the flan's nearly all there, and it's coin-shaped!

There are better reigns out there, of course, George VI and Elizabeth II for instance?

No, it's a nice coin, and I know the price will have been a good and fair one! Someone's gotta love 'em! :D

That's actually quite a nice coin, what's your example of it, TG? I'm guessing you upgraded it?

I'm guessing that Richard already had a much better example of this very common variety, but was tempted to snaffle it anyway ... nonetheless I would like to see pics of Richard's best example :)

I have two, neither perfect. The first is decently struck but has graffiti on the obverse and on a wibbly flan:

Spink%202791%20Sharp%20E3_2%201_zpsqabpg

The other is nice and round but less well struck on the reverse (corroded, maybe?):

Spink%202791%20Sharp%20E3_2%202_zpsf5zlm

Edited by TomGoodheart

Welcome to the dark side Paul

post-5057-0-81987500-1431156048_thumb.jp

I believe .. S.1154, Aethelred II last small cross type.

Mint? ... Exeter, I think (EAXEC[...] )... though again with the proviso that I have no experience with the series!

Apologies for the delay. Managed to get hit by a car last week so been a little...out of it.

Yes, Exeter mint of Aethelred's Last Small Cross. Moneyer is likely to be either Mangod, Thurgod or Isegod.

I've been run over three times!

Once as a small kid, when a car reversed over my leg.

Second time I was talking to someone on the payment beside the A38, when an accident spilled off the carriageway onto the payment, breaking my femur and pelvis, amongst a pile of other internal bruising and bladder unhappiness.

The third time I was unloading some weed killer from the back of a van that was parked at the side of a road. I was in a high-vis jacket, but the lady who was driving down the road, peering through a ten inch hole in her frosty window (the police description, not mine), didn't see me, or the van, and ploughed right into the back of it! I jumped up, but left one leg trailing (silly boy) and, hey presto, another broken bone in my leg! :rolleyes:

Some would call me unlucky! I think I'm very, VERY, lucky! :)

Lost one Jack Russell terrier: Torn ear, few teeth, three legs, no tail and one eye. Answers to the name of 'lucky.'

If i want to part with Aethelred coins where to go online?

Ebay will find their level.

Send special delivery because there are some right scumbags out there.

Good pictures and accurate descriptions do help.

Good luck :)

Rob and Clive might be interested? Probably better than eBay after a bum set of bids and 15% off of everything, including post?