British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Noticed a couple of scarce pennies in the next LCA.

Hopefully part of a collection and a few more will be listed :)

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Noticed a couple of scarce pennies in the next LCA.

Hopefully part of a collection and a few more will be listed :)

Yep, some crackers there. Although I don't agree that the 1862 small date is the finest they have handled. The ex Freeman, ex Bamford specimen, offered for bids at the March 2016 auction was somewhat better, but didn't sell at the auction itself. Because of that it isn't shown on their past auction realised prices, but here it is at the Bamford auction.  

Edited by 1949threepence
spelling error

There are always going to be better ones and more than recorded as some collections are kept privately.

If ten are known of an example there is not going to be less and the numbers can only go up like the 1862 Three plumes :)

13 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

There are always going to be better ones and more than recorded as some collections are kept privately.

If ten are known of an example there is not going to be less and the numbers can only go up like the 1862 Three plumes :)

Oh sure, but LCA are saying it's the finest 1862 small date they've handled, which isn't true.

Guest Jam
On 24/12/2016 at 1:02 PM, 1949threepence said:

Yep, some crackers there. Although I don't agree that the 1862 small date is the finest they have handled. The ex Freeman, ex Bamford specimen, offered for bids at the March 2016 auction was somewhat better, but didn't sell at the auction itself. Because of that it isn't shown on their past auction realised prices, but here it is at the Bamford auction.  

2 very nice examples of a rare variety. It certainly looks as though another penny collection is about to go under the hammer, but it's a shame there are not many copper pennies making similar appearances.

2 hours ago, Guest Jam said:

2 very nice examples of a rare variety. It certainly looks as though another penny collection is about to go under the hammer, but it's a shame there are not many copper pennies making similar appearances.

Well you don't know yet. There may be a complete collection of them making an appearance in due course. Let's hope so. 

Didnt know you collected the coppers Mike ,really interesting series but some hard to find in top grade IMO.

Surprised there is not more collectors of them as lots of penny collectors seem to just focus on the bronze .

26 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Didnt know you collected the coppers Mike ,really interesting series but some hard to find in top grade IMO.

Surprised there is not more collectors of them as lots of penny collectors seem to just focus on the bronze .

More varieties

Possibly Dave although a lot of the copper varieties that are not recognised and some even in unc 1854 you can pick up at a similar price than an 1860 F10.

However leaving the varieties and proofs out not lots of dates 1825/60 but people dont seem to collect like the bronze.

You could buy a nice 1831,34,37 for the same price as a really low grade scarce variety bronze £500/600 ish.

Edited by PWA 1967

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Possibly Dave although a lot for the coppers that are not recognised and some even in unc 1854 you can pick up at a similar price than an 1860 F10.

However leaving the varieties and proofs out not lots of dates 1825/60 but people dont seem to collect like the bronze.

It does surprise me also as the younger head is more attractive than the old head/widow head etc

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

You could buy a nice 1831,34,37 for the same price as a really low grade scarce variety bronze £500/600 ish.

If you can find me unc 1837s at £500-600 each, I'll take as many as you can find. I'll even drive over to pick them up.

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

If you can find me unc 1837s at £500-600 each, I'll take as many as you can find. I'll even drive over to pick them up.

Your UNC might be lustered ROB of which for that year dont exist really.

As i mentioned i said NICE that does not mean UNC so please read instead of being sarcastic.

Nice is nicely toned and problem free but obviously you want better ?.

I Didnt say UNC.

Edited by PWA 1967

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Well Pete, I've not actually started yet. But I'm approaching the end of what I can meaningfully obtain in the 1860 to 1901 series, so I'll be turning my attention to the young head soon, and to the post 1901 era.    

Edited by 1949threepence
spelling error

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Possibly Dave although a lot of the copper varieties that are not recognised and some even in unc 1854 you can pick up at a similar price than an 1860 F10.

It's a fact that most of the pre 1860 years have a low mintage, and are notably much cheaper coin for coin, than the bun penny era. The obvious expensive exceptions being 1837, 1843, 1849, 1856 and the 1860/59.

Easier to obtain in good - though not necessarily - top grade as well (no washers) as they were demonetised in 1869, so never really had a chance to wear right down, unlike the post 1860, many of which were circulating for over a century,

One i have just sent as thought it was a good one,well struck and good lustre the closed 9 variety .

Pete.

1.png

• Like 1

With or without the closed 9, that's a very nice example of a difficult year.

1.png

:P

• Like 1

A quick question for you penny chaps. What level of detail do people collect to? Is it date example, Peck/Freeman number, Gouby variety or as far as you can go?

Just wondering, as I came across Court's article on Edward VII pennies in the January 1971 Coin magazine and noted that it contained details of more varieties than the mainstream publications that was only really matched by Groom, though with differences. It was also considerably more extensive in scope for this albeit limited range than say Santa's site including the rare varieties sections.

Just wondering with a vested interest in finding things I could potentially sell. ;)

For me it's Freeman/Gouby numbers and widely accepted varieties (like the popular dot flaws). I'd buy curios but wouldn't go out of my way to spend a chunk on something like a B over R, unless the price was better than I thought the resale would be.

The VR court survey, for those interested, should be in the useful links thread under general. 

3 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

The VR court survey, for those interested, should be in the useful links thread under general. 

Sorry, that should have read Cole's article, not Court's

15 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sorry, that should have read Cole's article, not Court's

Is it available online Rob?

2 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Is it available online Rob?

Doubt it. It was in the January 1971 issue of Coins, incorporating coins and medals. It was in a pile of catalogues I picked up at the weekend.

27 minutes ago, Rob said:

Doubt it. It was in the January 1971 issue of Coins, incorporating coins and medals. It was in a pile of catalogues I picked up at the weekend.

Bugger, well one for the list I guess. Is it just called 'Coins'? I had a quick google but the name is so general I just get a lot of other unrelated stuff.