British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

19 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

A few upgades purchased yesterday 1897 that is a lot better than the normal ones :)

Not the best picture as just done on my phone.

197.png

Nice Penny what grade is it please I do like this:wub::wub:

Its in a cgs slab graded 80 and scarce in high grade although the picture is RANG 

I have been looking for a good one for ages so happy with this :)

3 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Nice Penny what grade is it please I do like this:wub::wub:

Grade's out the window on this one, it's an 1897 dot penny :) 

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its in a cgs slab graded 80 and scarce in high grade although the picture is RANG 

I have been looking for a good one for ages so happy with this :)

Apart from Richard's one, I've only ever seen VF tops of this. Very jealous.

34 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Very jealous.

Yes indeed.

Well potted, Pete. Never seen an 1897 dot in UNC. In fact never seen one with lustre before. 

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Well potted, Pete. Never seen an 1897 dot in UNC. In fact never seen one with lustre before. 

This is the only other one I know of, better than VF.

1.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Grade's out the window on this one, it's an 1897 dot penny :) 

I am none the wiser:( What is a Dot Penny please explain as new to everything about pennies:unsure:

Its got a DOT over the O in one not really a big deal but collectable and Freeman lists it :)

6 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I am none the wiser:( What is a Dot Penny please explain as new to everything about pennies:unsure:

It's a flaw found on this year of pennies, you can see the dot in between the O and N of ONE on the reverse. It's more than likely the result of a damaged die but some theories suggest it was a purposeful indicator for various reasons. Just because of the location, prominence and roundness I think it's gained notoriety and become one of the recognised varieties for the year.

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Dirty great boulder between the O and the N

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its got a DOT over the O in one not really a big deal but collectable and Freeman lists it :)

Or in layman's terms... :D 

Although I would say that it is a big deal, a F-VF will cost you 75-150 depending, so something like this one is much more..

Anyone want a low grade for £100 in a cgs slab PM me .

They say £180 but now i have a good one not any use to me so a bargain.

The BU ones seem to be a grand plus.

6 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Dirty great boulder between the O and the N

What a cluts I am must put my glasses on.:D

4 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

It's a flaw found on this year of pennies, you can see the dot in between the O and N of ONE on the reverse. It's more than likely the result of a damaged die but some theories suggest it was a purposeful indicator for various reasons. Just because of the location, prominence and roundness I think it's gained notoriety and become one of the recognised varieties for the year.

Thanks for the explanation, could not find any reference in the books I have.

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Anyone want a low grade for £100 in a cgs slab PM me .

They say £180 but now i have a good one not any use to me so a bargain.

The BU ones seem to be a grand plus.

Where did you get that from? Not that you're wrong, I've just never seen one for sale before to even guess at a price.

Research on line and asking dealers what they would pay.

General feedback is for a really good one a grand plus .

CGS say £1500 for the one i bought :)

That's what I mean, what are you researching haha, there's literally no information about realised prices for ones in this grade :D 

A grand seems fair, I wouldn't hesitate for such a good looking one at that price. I think  £1500 would be the top, top estimate though, juice included.

I think you're over-estimating the value. I paid £170 for my Aunc specimen (in 2004) but I wouldn't want to pay more than £250 for it now. But I guess it's all down to what someone will pay, as ever.

Dont worry i have bought it and happy whenever i buy a coin i can find out what i should pay :)

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I think you're over-estimating the value. I paid £170 for my Aunc specimen (in 2004) but I wouldn't want to pay more than £250 for it now. But I guess it's all down to what someone will pay, as ever.

I didnt over estimate anything just said cgs price...did not say what i paid.

Yours was a good buy and i can sell mine today for more than i payed for it .

The one you have Richard i will give you £500 for so your happy if its problem free.

Will put the money in your account straight away.

7 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I think you're a little out of touch then Richard ;) The variety certainly has come leaps and bounds in the last 10 years , I can't see an UNC example selling at £250 when the F-VF examples are selling at £100-150 in auction (that's before the juice). I would be extremely happy with that at £250!

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

The one you have Richard i will give you £500 for so your happy if its problem free.

Will put the money in your account straight away.

£600. Will put it in before Pete does.