50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

Photos of coins

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#31 SionGilbey

SionGilbey

Nearly part of the furniture

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Apart from 1797-1967 Quarter Farthings to Shillings (UNC if possible) Classic Cars (especially Bentleys!) and detecting and... sheep.

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Your second picture shows massively too much contrast (to my eyes) while the first one I thought "What's wrong with this? Seems good enough to me." It has good exposure, colour and the only thing missing is perhaps a little iridescence, but if shot 2 is the cost of getting iridescence, I'd happily live without it. (I must add - the thumbnails give the reverse impression, and the second shot looks good, but when I enlarge them, that's when I thought again).

I've done a bit more experimenting and the best I can do so far is this.

Lovely picture :D

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#32 Fubar

Fubar

Regular participating member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Collectomaniac
    Officially an ex-ephemerist

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

An very little electromagnetic pulse can be caused by even a spark, but one that causes damage as you describe would not be emitted from a lamp.
Sion

You seem to have latched on to my EMP remark even though all I said was - "I'm still not too sure it wasn't causing some sort of EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) as well."

Having been a radio, electronics, computer and electrical engineer over the last 50 years I never discount any explanation that could generate a satisfactory explanation.

My main point was that the lamp caused computers to lock up in the vicinity. Remove the lamp and the problem went away. Not all lamps of this type produce this effect but the two I know of did. Probably wouldn't have the same effect on a laptop because of the nature of the switched mode power supply.
Unless it caused problems with the WiFi of course. :rolleyes:

Cheers Kris

#33 argentumandcoins

argentumandcoins

Not a God, just a man!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Apart from coins; My 3 sons (youngest born new years day 2012), Newcastle United, Durham CCC, Salmon and Trout fishing, shooting, malt whisky, red wine and good cigars. NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER!!!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

I didn't want to comment Kris, just in case Sion is a Welsh separatist terrorist working on some sort of EMP device that will wipe out all of the computers in England. Perhaps he has tried the lamp bomb and knows it won't work :D :D :D

#34 Peckris

Peckris

Former God (now redundant)

• 8,347 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Your second picture shows massively too much contrast (to my eyes) while the first one I thought "What's wrong with this? Seems good enough to me." It has good exposure, colour and the only thing missing is perhaps a little iridescence, but if shot 2 is the cost of getting iridescence, I'd happily live without it. (I must add - the thumbnails give the reverse impression, and the second shot looks good, but when I enlarge them, that's when I thought again).

I've done a bit more experimenting and the best I can do so far is this.

Much nicer! (To my eyes, anyway). :) Less contrast, good detail, and some iridescence.

#35 Fubar

Fubar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Collectomaniac
    Officially an ex-ephemerist

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:54 AM

I didn't want to comment Kris, just in case Sion is a Welsh separatist terrorist working on some sort of EMP device that will wipe out all of the computers in England. Perhaps he has tried the lamp bomb and knows it won't work :D :D :D

Aaah! Perhaps :D

The lamp apart I think the rig for photographing coins looks worthy of a try.
Maybe an experiment in the sunshine with a reflector in place of the lamp/light source might work.
I don't have too many to photograph and if I need to I find the scanner gives satisfactory results.
Most of the objects I photograph are more three dimensional and require more angled shots.
Not that I'm saying coins are in any way two dimensional as such (grovel) :huh:
Cheers
Kris

#36 Colin G.

Colin G.

Just a man god!!!

• 1,602 posts
  • Interests:Farthings, farthings and more farthings!!! Oh and British Colonial coins

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

Much nicer! (To my eyes, anyway). :) Less contrast, good detail, and some iridescence.

I agree :)

Thanks
Colin G.

For information about farthing varieties visit - http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk

Farthings and coins for sale at - http://aboutfarthing.../cart/index.php

#37 azda

azda

Hugh_janus

• 6,732 posts
  • Interests:Errrr Coins, Charles I and civil war period coinage (when i can afford it)
    Hopefully some decent Scottish Silver eventually as well

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

Black foam background, no tripod, 8MMP cannon camera with marco mode and natural light

Posted Image
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

#38 Red Riley

Red Riley

Forum God

• 1,786 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything British and numismatic from Celtic through Roman, Mediaeval etc. The largest chunk of my collection is in bronze pennies which I collected from the late sixties to the present day.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

Black foam background, no tripod, 8MMP cannon camera with marco mode and natural light

Posted Image

That's a good photo and a good coin. Coins with good lustre usually photograph well. However, I am still looking of a way to reliably photograph bronze/copper coins around 'fine' especially Edward VII and George V.

#39 azda

azda

Hugh_janus

• 6,732 posts
  • Interests:Errrr Coins, Charles I and civil war period coinage (when i can afford it)
    Hopefully some decent Scottish Silver eventually as well

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

I never take a picture in direct sunlight Derek, i find the pics distort somewhat, generally shaded natural light.

Rev of same coin

Posted Image

Edited by azda, 21 May 2011 - 12:45 PM.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

#40 AJWcoins

AJWcoins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

Well just a quick thankyou going out to all the contributers in this topic its been some interesting reading.

I've been taking many photos and scans of coins over the past few months and now have some ideas on how to improve my photos so thanks. In case you were wondering what I'm using its a Fujifilm J210 10mp held by hand (first thing I'm gonna do is get a tripod)using the scene recognition auto mode with macro and take the photo as close as I can with out blocking the light. My light source is daylight which is slightly filtered by a net curtain. I then crop the photos on my PC afterwards.

Here's a recent example of a photo

Posted Image

There's many more in the gallery section on my site thanks any feedback would be great.

#41 SionGilbey

SionGilbey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Apart from 1797-1967 Quarter Farthings to Shillings (UNC if possible) Classic Cars (especially Bentleys!) and detecting and... sheep.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

Well just a quick thankyou going out to all the contributers in this topic its been some interesting reading.

I've been taking many photos and scans of coins over the past few months and now have some ideas on how to improve my photos so thanks. In case you were wondering what I'm using its a Fujifilm J210 10mp held by hand (first thing I'm gonna do is get a tripod)using the scene recognition auto mode with macro and take the photo as close as I can with out blocking the light. My light source is daylight which is slightly filtered by a net curtain. I then crop the photos on my PC afterwards.

Posted Image

There's many more in the gallery section on my site thanks any feedback would be great.

Looks good!
Nice lighting and backdrop, looks very natural.
Very slightly fuzzy and not cropped square; a small section on the left edge of the coin is cropped out.
The pictures on your site seem sharper though.

#42 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,347 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image

Looks good!
Nice lighting and backdrop, looks very natural.
Very slightly fuzzy and not cropped square; a small section on the left edge of the coin is cropped out.
The pictures on your site seem sharper though.

Interesting. I'm seeing the whole coin on my screen (the left edge flush with the left hand border). And it looks sharp too. Certainly sharp enough for coin detail purposes. Maybe you have a problem with your monitor?

#43 Nick

Nick

Forum God

• 1,284 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

Interesting. I'm seeing the whole coin on my screen (the left edge flush with the left hand border). And it looks sharp too. Certainly sharp enough for coin detail purposes. Maybe you have a problem with your monitor?

It's certainly a good enough photo to see all of the coin detail, but I agree with Sion - it's slightly fuzzy. Could be slightly out of focus, or just a bit a camera shake.

#44 Nick

Nick

Forum God

• 1,284 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

It's certainly a good enough photo to see all of the coin detail, but I agree with Sion - it's slightly fuzzy. Could be slightly out of focus, or just a bit a camera shake.

Looking at the background, I think it's just that the subject is not quite perpendicular to the camera. I think the bottom is slightly nearer the camera than the top and given a low depth of field the top half is slight fuzzy.

#45 Red Riley

Red Riley

Forum God

• 1,786 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything British and numismatic from Celtic through Roman, Mediaeval etc. The largest chunk of my collection is in bronze pennies which I collected from the late sixties to the present day.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

Looking at the background, I think it's just that the subject is not quite perpendicular to the camera. I think the bottom is slightly nearer the camera than the top and given a low depth of field the top half is slight fuzzy.

I have a tiny spirit level which I use to adjust the tripod/stand once it is in place.

#46 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,347 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Yes, the background is certainly out of focus at the top corners. But on the coin itself, any 'fuzziness' is so marginal it is almost immaterial. There is no element of coin detail, tone, wear, mark or blemish that cannot be seen clearly. If I was judging that item on eBay from that photograph, I could do so without any reservation or doubt.

#47 Nick

Nick

Forum God

• 1,284 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

I have a tiny spirit level which I use to adjust the tripod/stand once it is in place.

Very sensible. An alternative, for those with a digital SLR, is to reduce the aperture (increase the F number). This gives a greater depth of field and shows more of the subject and background in focus.

#48 AJWcoins

AJWcoins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Well thanks for all the replys I just checked on the off chance what a fantasic response.

So until I pop in to town and get a tripod there isnt a lot I can do as handshake becomes an issue if I move further from the coin and use the zoom. Doing this would allow me to take the picture from a more face on angle as insuring the right amount of light won't be an issue as the camera would be further away but using the zoom as the tripod would keep it steady.

Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say there and thanks again to everyone the feedback is really appreciated.

Also is there a section on this site about chargebacks/fraud etc as I have a rather suspiscious order atm and am a little unsure how to proceed (sorry off subject here)

#49 SionGilbey

SionGilbey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

Yes, I think it is more a trick of the mind as the background is irregularly fuzzy but the coin is not very fuzzy at all.
The camera shake is very very small but I know that when I buy any expensive coins I do expect flawless photos (I'm a bit picky!) so buying the tripod was a good call.

Good luck in future photos AJW!

#50 Accumulator

Accumulator

Forum God

• 2,150 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Can anyone suggest a cheap digital camera which I can buy just for photographing coins? I know it needs a macro mode and I will need lighting and a tripod as discussed above. I can't see me using the camera for anything else so possibly I could get something which plugs into the USB port and uses the pc screen for display? I presume digital microscopes are not suitable though?

#51 argentumandcoins

argentumandcoins

Not a God, just a man!

• 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Apart from coins; My 3 sons (youngest born new years day 2012), Newcastle United, Durham CCC, Salmon and Trout fishing, shooting, malt whisky, red wine and good cigars. NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER!!!

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Can anyone suggest a cheap digital camera which I can buy just for photographing coins? I know it needs a macro mode and I will need lighting and a tripod as discussed above. I can't see me using the camera for anything else so possibly I could get something which plugs into the USB port and uses the pc screen for display? I presume digital microscopes are not suitable though?

Myself, Declan and Hus all use a Canon powershot A480.
It will knock you back around £60 Steve and ticks all of the above boxes.
I don't use a tripod or any lighting other than natural daylight.

#52 Accumulator

Accumulator

Forum God

• 2,150 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thanks John, I think I can stretch to £60! If no one has a better idea I'll get one next week. I'm fed up looking at me poor scans.

#53 declanwmagee

declanwmagee

Just a coinie...

• 1,354 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

I should, mate

#54 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,347 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

Thanks John, I think I can stretch to £60! If no one has a better idea I'll get one next week. I'm fed up looking at me poor scans.

On the other hand, you should be able to pick up a DSLR plus macro lens and still have change from a grand ....

#55 SionGilbey

SionGilbey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

On the other hand, you should be able to pick up a DSLR plus macro lens and still have change from a grand ....

Only really worth it if you're a dealer.
Otherwise get a decent camera for a few hundred and spend the rest on coins.

#56 Accumulator

Accumulator

Forum God

• 2,150 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

Went to Jessops today. They didn't have the A480 (they thought it was an older model) but suggested the A3300 IS, for £120, plus a mini tripod. I quickly set it up this evening, in macro mode, but can't take any close ups, presumably because the lighting isn't good enough. Will have a proper go tomorrow in daylight.

Edited by Accumulator, 29 May 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#57 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,347 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

Went to Jessops today. They didn't have the A480 (they thought it was an older model) but suggested the A3300 IS, for £120, plus a mini tripod. I quickly set it up this evening, in macro mode, but can't take any close ups, presumably because the lighting isn't good enough. Will have a proper go tomorrow in daylight.

I just read a review of it that didn't even mention that it has a macro mode. I hope you're sure about that? Take it back if it doesn't, as that's the one thing you need for taking pictures of coins.

#58 argentumandcoins

argentumandcoins

Not a God, just a man!

• 1,338 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

A drug dealer Sion?

There aren't many coin dealers that could or would lash out a grand on a camera :)

#59 SionGilbey

SionGilbey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

A drug dealer Sion?

There aren't many coin dealers that could or would lash out a grand on a camera :)

Or, I suppose, rich.
Personally, I couldn't swap a few extra megapixels for a couple of really nice coins.

#60 Peter

Peter

Mr R Sleeker

• 5,304 posts
  • Interests:Coins,fishing and British sports cars

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

Plenty of A480's online (ie argos just over £80)
However it gets slated on batteries and its viewfinder.