British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

1866 BBritanniar? In Hand Pix

Ok gents, here it is, never took my normal OBV/REV pics as it's tooooooo dark, so a couple of microscoped ones for now.

Opinions as usual are appreciated

post-5057-098770700 1290197719_thumb.jpg

And another

post-5057-022805800 1290197921_thumb.jpg

And last one for now

post-5057-097409200 1290198178_thumb.jpg

It isn't BB because the bottom loop of the B should extend further to the right than the top loop of which there is no sign. The top loops of both B & R appear to be the same size, so would expect to see something obvious there was a second B.

The bloomsbury coin looks No different to this in My opinion. Gonna have to try and find a Vetter scan of a confirmed BB from somewhere

There is something underneath it, the bottom right of the und leg and at the loop. Maybe doubling? Overstrike?

I do agree with Rob, I don't think that is an R/B, I think that is a die break across the bottom of the R

The bloomsbury coin looks No different to this in My opinion.

That in itself doesn't make it a BBITANIAR shilling. Bloomsbury no longer do coin auctions. I possess 5 lots bought at Bloomsbury, 4 of which I could identify from elsewhere prior to the sale. The problem is that I only ever won 8 lots in total in their sales and 3 of those had to be returned as wrongly described. You wouldn't dare bid to blind on lots, so something as esoteric as a BBITANIAR shilling I would want to see in the hand.

The bloomsbury coin looks No different to this in My opinion.

That in itself doesn't make it a BBITANIAR shilling. Bloomsbury no longer do coin auctions. I possess 5 lots bought at Bloomsbury, 4 of which I could identify from elsewhere prior to the sale. The problem is that I only ever won 8 lots in total in their sales and 3 of those had to be returned as wrongly described. You wouldn't dare bid to blind on lots, so something as esoteric as a BBITANIAR shilling I would want to see in the hand.

Don't get me wrong Rob, i'm not doubting the mechanics of your reply, i've just never seen one personally and not sure how it was altered after the B error was found. Thats where my curiosity comes into play, hence i said it looked no different from the Bloomsbury piece. Saying that, when i opened and looked yesterday at it i said straight away that i didn't think it was a BB, the bottom strike of the R curves as though it was curving like a B would, and there's something under the Leg of the R, whether its doubled or overstrike am still unsure, hence my reply.

I wish i could find a decent picture of one though.

There is something underneath it, the bottom right of the und leg and at the loop. Maybe doubling? Overstrike?

WOW! That microscope of yours certainly delivered some very clear results.

I think that you may have hit the proverbial nail on the head there Azda. It does look like the R has been double struck, and although my knowledge is limited, that is how it at least looks to my eye.

WOW! That microscope of yours certainly delivered some very clear results.

I think that you may have hit the proverbial nail on the head there Azda. It does look like the R has been double struck, and although my knowledge is limited, that is how it at least looks to my eye.

To my eye the curle sticks out too far to be part of a B, I go for the double struck theory

Gary

I hope these pics come out clearer.

post-2455-046802000 1291489820_thumb.jpg

post-2455-040314500 1291490016_thumb.jpg

BADGER

• Like 1

That one definitely looks a double BB to me Badger.

Does the BB variety have a die number?

Thanks 

Dave, hate to say it, but I also see doubling (see the adjacent letters as well) with small die break at the vulnerable part of the lettering which IMO lends itself to seeing a bottom loop; not a BB sadly.