British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Beebman

1933 Penny on "The One Show" (BBC1 09/08/10)

In last night's edition of 'The One Show' there was a report from the Royal Mint at Llantrisant regarding fake £1 coins which itself was interesting as there was mentioned the possibility of replacing the current coin if too many forgeries got into circulation.

After an archive film from the 60s about Decimal coinage, the reporter Lucy Segal was in the studio holding a 1933 Penny to the camera. She said that it was incredibly rare "because not many were produced because they didn't need them", but "you still find some around".(???) She said it was worth £65,000 but Gabby Logan (one of the two hosts) had to correct her by remarking that at rehearsals it had been worth only £45,000!

The show is currently available on the BBC iPlayer (UK only) here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tfr50/The_One_Show_09_08_2010/

The 'coin' section of the show starts at 15.06.

David

In last night's edition of 'The One Show' there was a report from the Royal Mint at Llantrisant regarding fake £1 coins which itself was interesting as there was mentioned the possibility of replacing the current coin if too many forgeries got into circulation.

After an archive film from the 60s about Decimal coinage, the reporter Lucy Segal was in the studio holding a 1933 Penny to the camera. She said that it was incredibly rare "because not many were produced because they didn't need them", but "you still find some around".(???) She said it was worth £65,000 but Gabby Logan (one of the two hosts) had to correct her by remarking that at rehearsals it had been worth only £45,000!

David

I wonder how many the Mint think to be too many????

What's the estimate now, a couple of hundred million? You'd think with all of this quantatative easing the BOE and Mint could get their heads together and just ease the current pound coins away, perhaps replacing them with 99p coins so we would not need as many pennies in our change (sorry earlier thread :D )

How long before we get a bimetallic pound ?

Just a short one regarding the 1933 Penny. Was it actually genuine on the One Show. My 2nd is a personal opinion, but if one of those EVER came up for sale i think we'd be talking 6 figures these days. Am i right in saying only 4 were minted? Anyone know who owns any? Does the Royal Family have one, and i wonder if they keep a collection.

Just a short one regarding the 1933 Penny. Was it actually genuine on the One Show. My 2nd is a personal opinion, but if one of those EVER came up for sale i think we'd be talking 6 figures these days. Am i right in saying only 4 were minted? Anyone know who owns any? Does the Royal Family have one, and i wonder if they keep a collection.

Yes, I wonder what it'd sell for these days too!

According to the latest info, there were 7 minted (it was always 6 when I started collecting, but concensus these days says 7). Three were minted specifically for foundation stones. Here are details of their history and whereabouts (taken from a Google search):

The seven known examples of the 1933 penny are located in:

1. British Museum (a 'circulation' penny)

2. Royal Mint Museum at Llantrisant in South Wales (a 'circulation' penny)

3. One held in private hands (ex L A Lawrence, P G Smith and Mrs E M Norweb) (a 'circulation' penny)

4. Under the foundation stone of the University of London Building in Bloomsbury, London (a 'proof' penny)

5. One held in private hands. Ex St. Mary's Church, Hawksworth Wood, Kirkstall, Leeds. (Ex Sotheby 1972 in private hands ever since) (a 'proof' penny)

6. Whereabouts unknown, previously under the foundation stone of the Church of St Cross, Middleton - part of a 1933 year set which was stolen in August 1970 (a 'proof' penny)

7. One held in private hands in the UK (Ex Glendinings 1969 and in private collections ever since (a 'circulation' penny)

From Tony Clayton's excellent website (http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk), the following is noted:

One of the great rarities of the British series is the 1933 penny. None were issued for general circulation, but seven were made: three proofs to place in foundation stones laid by the King and four currency issues. At least one of the proofs has been stolen (from the Church of St.Cross, Middleton, in 1970), but the other six are all accounted for. Just three (including one proof) are in private hands.

I though current estimates are about 11-12. I have held the example in the British Musueum, had to wear rubber gloves though. As to the royal family holding collections, I suspect they do although may not actively collect themselves. A 1935 proof crown previously owned by Eddie VIII came up for sale late last year. Had been kept nicely polished by his housekeeper.

Oh, and yes, the Royal Family does have its own collection - most notable are a complete proof coin set of Edward VIII, plus the master die for the (unreleased) 1952 halfcrown (of which 1 circulated coin is known to exist - was owned by Colin Cooke for a while - and 1 VIP proof). Now that would be a collection to peruse!

Edited by andyscouse

4. Under the foundation stone of the University of London Building in Bloomsbury, London (a 'proof' penny)

Anyone got a JCB to rent :ph34r: Might as well get the Stone of Destiny back while i'm down there digging for the 1933 :ph34r:

Edited by azda

I though current estimates are about 11-12. I have held the example in the British Musueum, had to wear rubber gloves though. As to the royal family holding collections, I suspect they do although may not actively collect themselves. A 1935 proof crown previously owned by Eddie VIII came up for sale late last year. Had been kept nicely polished by his housekeeper.

Absolutely bloody typical of the Windsors! They own a 1933 penny and don't even care about it.

Come the revolution...

come on george V was a collector, he MUST have had one.

They really do need to replace the one pound coin, IMO, and demonetise the existing issue, forthwith. There are a vast number of fakes circulating, most of which are dead easy to spot to anyone with even a passing interest in coins. But most people don't even bother looking. Hence the reason that the forgers are on easy street.

As to its replacement, well a bi metallic pound might be a way forward. I'm honestly not sure what else would work. Maybe a slightly larger coin so that people noticed it more.

David

Already well documented on here how many were minted, David, so I wouldn't take any notice of the inaccuracies spouted by the reporters on the programme.

i couldn't see the date on that penny :P

i liked some of those designs in the background in the mint interview.

but yea, fakes why should people get rid of em if they lose the money doing so. i kept my fakes there are some very good ones as well.

965646.jpg

best one i found.

The accurate estimate IS 7 - but those are for the 'currency type' 1933 pennies, as itemised by Andy. However, you have to add into the equation the pattern 1933s, where the obverse was a new portrait designed by André Lavrillier. One of those was sold by Colin Cooke fairly recently. No-one knows for absolutely sure how many of these there are, but likely only a handful (probably rarer even than the currency type). One of them is a uniface, obverse only, but still classed as a 1933.