British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

14 minutes ago, Rob said:

Die clash. The first picture shows the outline of the crown best, with the tie knot and immediate area seen above the head.

whats the gothic letter above her head to the right?

It's very common, particularly prior to 1882 when the Mint refurbished and took out the Boulton and Watt equipment that had been in place since the 1810 refurbishment. There are numerous examples through the years. In fact this occurs throughout history. Without the blank in place you will make an impression of the harder die on the softer one.

5 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

whats the gothic letter above her head to the right?

Part of the ribbon joining the two branches.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

Part of the ribbon joining the two branches.

Well I think its been struck on a straits settlement 5 cent FWIW :) that is part of the gothic crown and resembles nothing on our threepence

Edited by zookeeperz

8 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Well I think its been struck on a straits settlement 5 cent FWIW :) that is part of the gothic crown and resembles nothing on our threepence

Sorry, I lied. The 'Gothic' bit is actually the first oak leaf

14 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sorry, I lied. The 'Gothic' bit is actually the first oak leaf

defo struck on a foreign coin I just cant see it in my minds eye where to line anything up lol

1868merge.jpeg

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1922-Silver-Rupee-King-George-V-British-Raj-Indian-Coin-NGC-MS63-RARE/292454417712  Do you think NGC might of wrongly attributed this? Looks more like the PL restrike?

Interesting. The NGC picture of the coin does not seem to show as much frosting effect as the Ebay listed picture.

Also NGC records normal and Proof strikes for 1922, but no Proof-like restrikes. Don't know where that leaves this coin! :blink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

defo struck on a foreign coin I just cant see it in my minds eye where to line anything up lol

1868merge.jpeg

It has suffered multiple die clashes. If you look above the head on the first ebay picture, there are a three displaced triangles. That is the triangle in the ribbon immediately above the knot. Multiple clashing happens frequently. There is a post somewhere else showing this, but I'll add it again to demonstrate. This shilling has a few die clashes with the usual rotational displacement, so you can see the inverted effigy.

088 - Copy.JPG

4 hours ago, declan03 said:

What would cause this wavey effect on a threepence?

Definitely, the result of multiple die clashes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, declan03 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1707Queen-Anne-Sixpence/122997781502?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Here's this seller just knocked out another of these sixpences. Not a bad earner for him at one per week.

I was going to post that yesterday I thought it was suss. Got sidetracked but good spot . there are a few of those knocking around the sales

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1878-GOTHIC-FLORIN-VICTORIA-MS61-765/253468651604

According to the label NO DIE NUMBER. I guess they missed that great big 54 or did they think it was on the reverse? :lol: and a rotated axis . hmmm 

Edited by zookeeperz

3 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1878-GOTHIC-FLORIN-VICTORIA-MS61-765/253468651604

According to the label NO DIE NUMBER. I guess they missed that great big 54 or did they think it was on the reverse? :lol:

Well it is NGC who have got it wrong as the same coin is on their website - complete with the 54 die number! Just for fun I have messaged NGC through their website - interesting to see if they respond.

54 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Well it is NGC who have got it wrong as the same coin is on their website - complete with the 54 die number! Just for fun I have messaged NGC through their website - interesting to see if they respond.

I am thinking they meant to put NO W W. probably were gassing about what they were up to the weekend and buggered it up lol

On 08/03/2018 at 8:41 PM, Peckris said:

Reported :angry:

Reported. We will see if it run the full auction or they take it down

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

I am thinking they meant to put NO W W. probably were gassing about what they were up to the weekend and buggered it up lol

I think you are right. They will reslab for free if it is sent in again, they call it a mechanical error. I suppose thats better than "Oops', We screwed up"

Surely people aren't buying these believing they are genuine?

Quarter Farthings on Ebay

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Surely people aren't buying these believing they are genuine?

Quarter Farthings on Ebay

They must surely be OK, they are coming from China via Moussaeiff Jewellers in the Hilton, on Park Lane!

And the gold £5 are only a tenner apiece too!

Count me in!

Not.

Jerry

On 10/03/2018 at 8:29 PM, DrP said:

This just made me laugh...:lol: I really don't know how you can tell what it is. It is only 99p though. lol.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/James-I-Silver-Hammered-Half-Groat-Love-Token-With-Centred-Hole/152931223980?hash=item239b6949ac:g:l3oAAOSwor1aZGO6 

Surely its just a button :o

Edited by markflorida

7 hours ago, markflorida said:

Surely its just a button :o

He has a sense of humor though! :-) this is his description:- sounds legit enough, lol.

"

He we have a delightful James I Silver Hammered Half Groat " Love Token " with hole centred. These were folded in to a " S " shape and given as a token of love in this period."