British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-07%20at%2011.59.

same pictures too, couldn't even be bothered to take his own

28 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

same pictures too, couldn't even be bothered to take his own

Never noticed that Matt, obviously just changed the background in photoshop. The image is of a G over A

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-07%20at%2012.42.

Edited by azda

It's awful but I wouldn't feel much compassion for a buyer though. You have to be very careful splashing out over £2k in eBay, and be an expert on the subject.

I also think it's in eBay's interest to keep an eye over these practices. But of course that requires hiring somebody and spending a bit of money. Their choice.

Yeah must've done. The only thing he did change was the price and the description :D

ebay will never keep an eye on this type of thing though, they're notoriously s*** at doing anything about listings that go against their own policy. Fat cats don't stay fat without all that money.

If he sells, he will make around £250 profit after fees. Tempting

8 minutes ago, Leo said:

It's awful but I wouldn't feel much compassion for a buyer though. You have to be very careful splashing out over £2k in eBay, and be an expert on the subject.

I also think it's in eBay's interest to keep an eye over these practices. But of course that requires hiring somebody and spending a bit of money. Their choice.

It's the ethics of the seller that has to be questioned, not eBay. The coin sold in 2014, so IMO, people buying at this level will know their onions and have probably researched the coin already, hence the reason it's been sat around a while

It's the ethics of the seller that has to be questioned, not eBay. 

Indeed - I only realised now that the ad is not fraudulent, the error on the coin is real, it's just that it was not mentioned in the LCA listing so the dealer found an opportunity. My error of judgment.

We can still question eBay's diligence in other matters though, like the abundance of fake material, self-bidding, etc.

4 minutes ago, Leo said:

Indeed - I only realised now that the ad is not fraudulent, the error on the coin is real, it's just that it was not mentioned in the LCA listing so the dealer found an opportunity. My error of judgment.

We can still question eBay's diligence in other matters though, like the abundance of fake material, self-bidding, etc.

Other way round, the error has been assigned (incorrectly as he probably knows) by the seller to add a couple of £££s to the listing.

6 minutes ago, Leo said:

My last picture isn't the same coin, i was just highlighting how obvious the G over A is and its not apparent on the koscoins one nor in the Londoncoins sale, so it is fraudulent

5 minutes ago, azda said:

My last picture isn't the same coin, i was just highlighting how obvious the G over A is and its not apparent on the koscoins one nor in the Londoncoins sale, so it is fraudulent

Understood now, thank you

2 hours ago, azda said:

One more seller to not buy from.

Can anyone explain what a "Private Listing" buyer on Ebay is or means?

Their feedback will be private on their profile when bidding.

Thanks Nordle got pipped at the post bidding for a Gothic Florin last night and I was the only bidder, just got a feeling it might have been the seller pulling his item out as it didn't make as much as he wanted, I am just being cynical and a bad loser lol.

8 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Thanks Nordle got pipped at the post bidding for a Gothic Florin last night and I was the only bidder, just got a feeling it might have been the seller pulling his item out as it didn't make as much as he wanted, I am just being cynical and a bad loser lol.

No that sounds about right tbh. Who was the seller (if you don't mind)?

Onions 321, sells all types of collectibles, and knows his coin variations.

4 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Onions 321, sells all types of collectibles, and knows his coin variations.

Ah no, I just checked, and in this case it's the seller making their listings private. So to the winner, your underbid would have been private as well.

Personally I don't see the need to make listings private unless you're doing something funny, but could be a genuine reason behind it. So it still could be the seller messing around on his lots.

Thanks for the info Nordle, end up paying a little more for, I hope, a better coin.

Gasp! (at the price!)

link

Edited by Paulus

What would a normal price for the coin be?

33 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Gasp! (at the price!)

link

That has to be shilled. It's a 200-300 coin with the scratch on the nose, or maybe that's the rare variety

1 hour ago, Rob said:

That has to be shilled. It's a 200-300 coin with the scratch on the nose, or maybe that's the rare variety

Hmm....interesting. I note the vendor has left his mobile number on the page. 

Could be shilled, although the bidding jumped from £416 to £1108, 8 seconds before the end of the auction. That would not suggest a shill bid to me. More likely someone trying to secure a rare coin by over bidding. Trouble was, they were playing catch up both then and 2 seconds before the end, as another high possible overbid had been made by someone else 19 seconds before the end of the auction