Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
blakeyboy

Maverick Britain

Recommended Posts

We don't seem to put identifiers on our coins any more - 'BRITT OMN' long gone.

Any other countries with the same attitude? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, blakeyboy said:

We don't seem to put identifiers on our coins any more - 'BRITT OMN' long gone.

Any other countries with the same attitude? 

"BRITT OMN" translated from the Latin, means "King of all the Britons". Therefore won't be on current coinage. Obviously wasn't on Victoria's either. But was on the coinage of the intervening KIngs, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII & George VI coins. When Charles accedes to the throne, it'll be on again.

We will never see "IND IMP" again though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes, but only with 'Rex' after it...our current  queen had 'REG' after it, but only in 1953- I never found out why it was dropped.

Thing is, we don't have any marking of origin, yet everyone else does...that's an attitude and a half!!

Even the Euro coins have all the countries of europe somewhere on them....

Are there any countries that haven't their name on their coins???

I can't think of one...

Edited by blakeyboy
speling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Ah yes, but only with 'Rex' in front of it...our current  queen had 'REG' before it, but only in 1953- I never found out why it was dropped.

Thing is, we don't have any marking of origin, yet everyone else does...that's an attitude and a half!!

Even the Euro coins have all the countries of europe somewhere on them....

Are there any countries that haven't their name on their coins???

I can't think of one...

You mean in the sense that "BRITT: OMN: REGINA" was still on the 1953 coinage specifically, but the  "BRITT OMN" disappeared from 1954 onwards? I assume they dropped it because it was the wrong meaning - although I don't know for absolute certain. Could certainly have been replaced by just "BRITT REGINA" or a contracted version of that. As per Victoria with "BRITT REG" - "Queen of all the Britons".  

As far as no national markings like "GREAT BRITAIN", we never really have had. "BRITT" was probably the furthest it got. I suppose the reason is historic, but could be interpreted as either self important or self effacing, depending on how you view it.    

 

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"BRITT OMN REGINA", Queen of all Britons was dropped as recognition of our Queen's relationship with the Commonwealth. The nations in the Commonwealth realm recognise the Queen as their monarch. Some nations in the Commonwealth have became republics and they recognise the Queen as Head of the Commonwealth but not as monarch.

Hence our Queen is also the Queen of many other nations and the Head of a number of others. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least if you see peter rabbit on a coin its a good bet its from the UK

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, copper123 said:

At least if you see peter rabbit on a coin its a good bet its from the UK

Its those Bunny Pennies Again, they just won't go away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Its those Bunny Pennies Again, they just won't go away.

There are yet again 2019 peter rabbits as well thats four years on the trot- I have it on good information that "peter breeding" and "peter having a dump" are in the pipeline

dn-2019-peter-rabbit-50p-product-images2.jpeg

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the RM decides to mint coins commemorating Dickensian characters, then there are enough to go on to the next century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sword said:

If the RM decides to mint coins commemorating Dickensian characters, then there are enough to go on to the next century.

I visited his house in london -its quite near to one of the coin fairs so was handy to get to there is a lovely cafe in the tiny back garden as well

Rather than people I would surgest books starting with David copperfield and a Christmas carol.

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion of commemorating Dickensian characters was rather tongue in cheek. The great number will bore most people to death. Also imagine having Bill Sikes or Fagin on the same coin as the Queen.

I think his novels would indeed make rather nice reverses if done properly. 

I suppose starting with Hard Times and Great Expectations would be somewhat cliché but apt. Bleak House wouldn't be a good follow up after these two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 11:56 AM, Sword said:

I suppose starting with Hard Times and Great Expectations would be somewhat cliché but apt. Bleak House wouldn't be a good follow up after these two.

Project Fear!

Unicorns!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 10:38 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Project Fear!

I wasn't referring to Brexit when I mentioned hard times. It's just a large number of well-known businesses have either closed or gone into administration in the last couple of years.

Debenhams, House of Fraser, HMV, Toys R Us, Betterware, Maplin, Warren Evans, Berwin and Berwin (and I used to like their suits), Beales, Jessops, Clinton, Mamas and Papas, Mothercare, Bonmarché, Thomas Cook, Gerry Weber, OddBins and Wine Cellars, Patisserie Valerie, Steamer Trading, etc...

It's hard not to feel sorry for the people being redundant. 

Edited by Sword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sword said:

It's hard to to feel sorry for the people being redundant. 

I feel sorry for them. 😮

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I feel sorry for them. 😮

Bad typing on my part. Now corrected. We all do and it makes everyone nervous. 

Edited by Sword
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sword said:

I wasn't referring to Brexit when I mentioned hard times. It's just a large number of well-known businesses have either closed or gone into administration in the last couple of years.

Debenhams, House of Fraser, HMV, Toys R Us, Betterware, Maplin, Warren Evans, Berwin and Berwin (and I used to like their suits), Beales, Jessops, Clinton, Mamas and Papas, Mothercare, Bonmarché, Thomas Cook, Gerry Weber, OddBins and Wine Cellars, Patisserie Valerie, Steamer Trading, etc...

It's hard not to feel sorry for the people being redundant. 

It's the rise of internet shopping. I too feel for all those retail staff made redundant. But you can understand the mindset of customers - after all, why go to the inconvenience of shopping in town, when you can order exactly what you want in a few clicks, without having to leave your warm and cosy house?  

Soon the only things left in town and City Centres will be bars, cafes, estate agents, supermarkets (people will always shop direct for fresh food), stores for big ticket items like furniture/white goods/new kitchens/bathrooms/cars etc. Most retailers will reach a point where they will no longer break even, given diminishing footfall and sky high accommodation rental. Quite what will happen to all that building space I don't know. Still, it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good, so maybe they can become a haven for the homeless. Bed for the night and a hot meal, maybe.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

It's the rise of internet shopping. I too feel for all those retail staff made redundant. But you can understand the mindset of customers - after all, why go to the inconvenience of shopping in town, when you can order exactly what you want in a few clicks, without having to leave your warm and cosy house?  

Soon the only things left in town and City Centres will be bars, cafes, estate agents, supermarkets (people will always shop direct for fresh food), stores for big ticket items like furniture/white goods/new kitchens/bathrooms/cars etc. Most retailers will reach a point where they will no longer break even, given diminishing footfall and sky high accommodation rental. Quite what will happen to all that building space I don't know. Still, it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good, so maybe they can become a haven for the homeless. Bed for the night and a hot meal, maybe.       

I go into town once a week, to a restaurant and M&S. Often I go to Hotel Chocolat, sometimes to Superdrug and Waterstones and Boots, less often Smiths. And that's about it.

Edited by Peckris 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I go into town once a week, to a restaurant and M&S. Often I go to Hotel Chocolat, sometimes to Superdrug and Waterstones and Boots, less often Smiths. And that's about it.

Interestingly, in this town, the Saturday Market still thrives. The market traders do an enormous amount of selling. 

But the shops, as in the type of stores mentioned by Sword, not so.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Interestingly, in this town, the Saturday Market still thrives. The market traders do an enormous amount of selling. 

But the shops, as in the type of stores mentioned by Sword, not so.  

Farmers Markets are still popoular

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It's the rise of internet shopping. I too feel for all those retail staff made redundant. But you can understand the mindset of customers - after all, why go to the inconvenience of shopping in town, when you can order exactly what you want in a few clicks, without having to leave your warm and cosy house?  

Soon the only things left in town and City Centres will be bars, cafes, estate agents, supermarkets (people will always shop direct for fresh food), stores for big ticket items like furniture/white goods/new kitchens/bathrooms/cars etc. Most retailers will reach a point where they will no longer break even, given diminishing footfall and sky high accommodation rental. Quite what will happen to all that building space I don't know. Still, it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good, so maybe they can become a haven for the homeless. Bed for the night and a hot meal, maybe.       

It's hard for businesses to survive if Amazon sells the same goods cheaper. It's the first place you look if you want to buy something as it is so convenient. 

I think shops are always needed for clothes, shoes, furniture, white goods etc. i.e. items that you want to try out, see before buying. I rather think that coffee shops, bars and the right types of restaurants can still do well.

20 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Interestingly, in this town, the Saturday Market still thrives.   

Much cheaper rent and low labour costs (since it only operates once a week) must be main reasons why they do well.

20 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Farmers Markets are still popoular

Fresh produce direct from farms is always popular. Everyone thinks it is more healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other survivors will be a few very specialist niche shops, and also shops which have acquired a very strong local reputation. For example a butchers round here called Frank Parker. His meat is of the highest quality, all sourced locally and he has also branched off into really nice sausages, bacon and pork pies.

In this "vegan" age, not everybody's cup of tea, but he is very popular locally and always has customers in his shop. I believe he also owns the premises, which helps.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Other survivors will be a few very specialist niche shops, and also shops which have acquired a very strong local reputation. For example a butchers round here called Frank Parker. His meat is of the highest quality, all sourced locally and he has also branched off into really nice sausages, bacon and pork pies.

In this "vegan" age, not everybody's cup of tea, but he is very popular locally and always has customers in his shop. I believe he also owns the premises, which helps.   

The percentage of vegetarians or vegans is low but the number of butchers stores has been declining every year apparently. Most people would appreciate the freshness and quality of meat from traditional butchers but then supermarkets offer much greater convenience and competitive prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sword said:

The percentage of vegetarians or vegans is low but the number of butchers stores has been declining every year apparently. Most people would appreciate the freshness and quality of meat from traditional butchers but then supermarkets offer much greater convenience and competitive prices. 

True, but a lot of people - me included - are still meat eaters but have cut down their consumption. I like to eat fish where possible and there are some great vegetarian dishes out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

True, but a lot of people - me included - are still meat eaters but have cut down their consumption. I like to eat fish where possible and there are some great vegetarian dishes out there.

and me, three or four times a week - usually oily fish like salmon, which is reputed to be good for you.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are not many fishmongers around either unless you live by the sea. Most people again buy from supermarkets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×