British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
George111

Interesting metal detecting finds

15 hours ago, George111 said:

I'm sure it was "rivited" to leather and the loop is about the size of a modern 1p   

Too small to have been a rein guide then. Looks to have some age though, and there must be many uses of a small fixed loop on a harness or strap, or even part of the handle for a small casket. 

Maybe off a pony small horse harness deffo looks a functional object rather than decorative but cant find anything like it on the www to know

for sure what it is 

Copper alloy (brass) hoofed feet off a cooking pot I doubt they are from the same pot as one is larger than the other, could be anywhere between 1200-1800 in date

016 (640x480).jpg

The style of this I think would suggest its 17th-18th century "dandy's" style decorative shoe buckle maybe for decoration rather than functionality  

006 (640x480).jpg

Roman? copper alloy bangle/bracelet obviously a bit out of shape   

009 (640x480).jpg

One side of a strap end probably medieval in date

010 (640x480).jpg

14 hours ago, George111 said:

Roman? copper alloy bangle/bracelet obviously a bit out of shape   

009 (640x480).jpg

Now come on you're being silly again

Its deffo not a staple :( was joined to make a whole circle

It deffo looks and the size and shape to be a bangle/bracelet its flat on the inside and domed on the outside the two ends were joined as one but are snapped 

I did put a ? mark after roman

Take it from someone with a lot of experience, that's a piece of tat not worthy of research.

No offence though I'm really interested to see your finds ans some of your stuff is excellent!

Keep posting!

Only been detecting 2 yrs a lot of stuff I find is purely guess work on my part to what it is or was part of

Horse harness stud has some redness on parts so I'm guessing it was decorated with red enamel/paint think it could be medieval in date

011 (640x480).jpg

No its not a coat hook LOL its a post medieval rein guide

001 (640x480).jpg

Probably were the phase "with all the trimmings" comes from this is post medieval "trappings"

made to hold a plume of feathers to decorate a horse  

002 (640x480).jpg

Decorative lead stud off a horse's harness probably post medieval

017 (640x480).jpg

This article deals quite comprehensively with the possible issues arising from putative identification of detector found objects, and I urge you all to read it.

https://thedailydetectorist.com/2016/01/21/hoard-of-celtic-ring-money-turned-out-to-be-remains-of-victorian-curtain-factory/

Jerry

• Like 1

Another stud type horse harness decoration probably post medieval 

012 (640x480).jpg

Agreed. I rather like the early post mediaeval harness decorations, frequently gilded, they are a reminder of the brighter, showy side of our existence in the fifteenth , sixteenth and seventeenth centuries that we tend not to be aware of now, with history taught with reference to war, conflict, politics and pestilence, wheras life went on 'behind the scenes' with rather greater humour and gaity as circumstances allowed. For all their faults, humans tend to the positive.

I will hunt out some of mine.

Jerry

I'm sure you have a lot more interesting finds than I've found in all the yrs you've been detecting, that I can only hope I might find too one day :)

Roman/medieval brooch pin ? its made of bronze/brass last holiday there are some strange marks on it  but

I'm not totally sure it would be a nail of some sort

I'm am sure Flash or Jelida could put me right  

018 (640x480).jpg

I really cant give an id on the pin, though it looks too thick to be from a brooch (though again a scale would help).

Here are a couple of harness decorations.

Harness decoration (2).jpg

Harness decoration.jpg

I don't think the pin is anything really, it looks like it's been folded centrally which would indicate a later period. Also could the marks be from a vice or grip of some sort? 

When I started detecting there was one particular field from which my friend had found at least 30 fibulas. It was more or less played out by the time I got there and I only found around five in total over some years there. I did, however, have a large collection of things that could have been Roman Brooch pins. Sadly I don't think any of them actually were, but you never know.

That's not a fold its the corner of the object it "square" its flat on 2 sides and domed on 2 it is a solid constrution made of "brass" its just short of the length of a rizla packet 2 and a bit inch's

The marks do sort of look like our modern day "ring shank" nails I just thought brass nails would be rather an expensive waste of brass which pointed me in the direction

of thinking it maybe a cloths pin of some sort in a button/toggle kind of way

6 hours ago, jelida said:

I really cant give an id on the pin, though it looks too thick to be from a brooch (though again a scale would help).

Here are a couple of harness decorations.

Harness decoration (2).jpg

Harness decoration.jpg

I like :)

19 hours ago, George111 said:

URoman/medieval brooch pin ? its made of bronze/brass last holiday there are some strange marks on it  but

I'm not totally sure it would be a nail of some sort

I'm am sure Flash or Jelida could put me right  

018 (640x480).jpg

Unfortunatly I am leaning towards it being just a nail :(