British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Plastic coins

just spotted this on another forum

The Transnistrian Republican Bank (TRB) will issue new currency units that will be made of composite materials. The move is being done to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of the national currency. Plastic coins, depending on denomination, will have a different geometric shape and color. According to the press service of the TRB, the new money will combine best qualities of coins and banknotes - high wear resistance and a wide range of security features. The coins for Transnistria were developed in Russia.

"For the time being, this kind of money is not produced anywhere else in the world. This is an innovation not only for Transnistria, but also for the international banking community. The currency units were designed by our colleagues from the Russian Federation and we will be the first to use them," First Deputy Chairwoman of the TRB Olga Radulova said in an interview with the First Transnistrian Channel.

The move to waive the production of metal coins is indeed a unique event. Plastic banknotes are in use in many countries of the world (they were first made in Australia), but the coins made ​​of composite materials will appear for the first time in Transnistria.

For protection against counterfeiting, the technology of their production involves the use of a special texture, contour elements, micro texts and specific reflection of light when exposed to ultraviolet and infrared glow.

Coins made ​​of plastic will be introduced in circulation from 22 August 2014 and will have a parallel circulation with paper money of the same denomination.

Source: Pravda

Fantasies for a fantasy country?? but is this the way ahead with metal prices soaring??

post-4824-0-33328300-1412341497_thumb.jp

Transnistria?? Surely a novelist's invention!

Transnistria?? Surely a novelist's invention!

Another piece of Putin's Empire :angry: see Wikipedia

That's pretty cool Scott! Looks a bit like the stuff old brown circuit boards were made from - mylar was it?

What I first took to be "la la la la la" turns out to be "1d 1d 1d 1d 1d" :D

1018784.jpg

plastic you say?

NAAFI tokens - I used to have some of these, round or hexagonal, some as UK pence some French francs

the Transnistrian ones are already on Ebay

Edited by davidrj

the Transnistrian ones are already on Ebay

Given the traditional use of coins for propaganda, somewhat surprisingly, none of the above feature the super-heroic Putin - defender of russian principles, saviour of the Russian face and featuring on a pair of underpants near you soon.

Given the traditional use of coins for propaganda, somewhat surprisingly, none of the above feature the super-heroic Putin - defender of russian principles, saviour of the Russian face and featuring on a pair of underpants near you soon.

:lol:

Not only ON underpants, but IN underpants too...

That's pretty cool Scott! Looks a bit like the stuff old brown circuit boards were made from - mylar was it?

I think it was Paxolin

Paxolin was the cheap and nasty stuff. Fiberglass was he better product with RT Duroid for microwave circuits. Never mind about plastic money we now have virtual currency ie Bitcoin.. Personally I am not convinced about the value of Bitcoin and think it is basically a Ponzi scheme.

Fibreglass boards were usually greenish in colour and, from memory, I didn't see many until the 60s.

All of the wartime and later (1950s) equipment I have uses paxolin for insulation.

I've seen the NAAFI coins before in a past local auction sale.

Not made with paper as the Wikipedia mentions but usually linen or canvas bonded.

We get plastic milk and travel tokens all the time in mixed lots of coin. Nothing is new. :huh: