British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

OZjohn,

Missed this interesting thread having been away. Thought the results vindicated your decision to clean. Could be argued that it's not really cleaning but preservation.

Just wondered whether you care to explain what product you used quantities etc

Regards

Mark

The best way to start with this is to let the reaction begin slowly,with warm water.Then if not much is happening increase the water temp for a quicker reaction,and wash of any remnants with distilled water,rather then tap water to prevent water marks,or other foreign material sticking to the surface.

Definitely a better looking coin now,with no real harsh treatment to the coin.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

I used sodium bicarb plus salt in hot water with aluminium foil in the bottom of the dish. I tried to make the solution fairly weak so I could control the reaction

by removing the coin and then washing it. I did this about 3 times (hard on the fingers with the hot water) until I was happy with the result. I looked around at

various commercial silver dips to see if they would be suitable but most contained sulfuric acid which I thought would not be very good for coins.

Johnj

• Like 1

sorry John not Johni

John,

Thanks. I have some old low grade silver that I will try it on. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Goddards contains uric acid rather than sulphuric acid if I remember right.

You are probably right but I could not find Goddards locally and all I could get were various preparations offered by chain jewelers which all contained sulfuric acid. Funny thing is Goddards used to be

available from discount stores in Australia but no longer it seems. Even the polishing cloths seem to have disappeared.

Goddards contains uric acid rather than sulphuric acid if I remember right.

I've got plenty of Uric acid.....2nd bout of gout in 10 years...not to be recommended.

I've used goddards with a cotton bud to "tidy" up a badly tarnished coin.

"I've got plenty of Uric acid.....2nd bout of gout in 10 years...not to be recommended."

Afraid the only solution is to lay off the red wine.

Mark

• Like 1

"I've got plenty of Uric acid.....2nd bout of gout in 10 years...not to be recommended."

Mark

The last glass of red wine was at Xmas.

My weakness is rare breed liver/oily fish.

It is also down to dehydration.

I'm drinking a vast quantity of water and eating cherries.It is getting better.

• Like 1

Mark

I'm drinking a vast quantity of water and eating cherries. It is getting better.

:o

Not Rolf Harris cherries :)

We do have a limited edition of one of his signed prints on the wall.

Willing to exchange for Two little boys.

Mark

I'm drinking a vast quantity of water and eating cherries. It is getting better.

:o

Well those fish will do it.

Mine is held at bay by eating red meat rarely, almost no red wine.

Mind you I find lager and plenty of White wine no problem at all. Hey Ho life's not all bad.

Mark

If no one has had it it is hard to explain.

I'm sitting here with a constant pain.

A sheet will cause me agony.

At least the pain stops me from going for another beer.

I've never tried gout, however, I can recommend red wine, red meat, oily fish, cherries, white wine, beer, plus a host of cheese varieties. Water I cannot recommend, as it is a poor substitute for item no.1.

White rum is meant to be Ok but last time I missed the footie and had 2 cats sitting on my head.

We have just got a new feral(he would of been drowned)...Going to try to go to bed. :mellow:

White rum is meant to be Ok but last time I missed the footie and had 2 cats sitting on my head.

We have just got a new feral(he would of been drowned)...Going to try to go to bed. :mellow:

Co-codamol is the best thing I've found for pain, if you don't mind a bit of constipation and going ever so slightly doolally. It does work though...

Co-codamol is the best thing I've found for pain, if you don't mind a bit of constipation and going ever so slightly doolally. It does work though...

They just don't put enough codeine in the over-counter version (8mg I think it is), though it's better than nothing and, I agree, it does pack a punch!

Don't forget folks, co-codamol contains 500mg of paracetamol per tablet too, so two of them is your paracetamol lot!

You could always add ibuprofen to the cocktail, if you're desperate, AND you've taken them before! ;)

Codeine sends me potty.

Radiators sing or I can hear horse racing commentary on a loop.

Codeine sends me potty.

Radiators sing or I can hear horse racing commentary on a loop.

But they do! Mine seem to favour Steely Dan (which I enjoy) or Iron Maiden (I turn them off and endure the cold).

We will have to have a codeine party.

:)

Debbie

Get a leather football in your smackers on a frosty winter morning...childbirth would be easy.

"So you're basically gonna electrocute us for an hour?"

"Mm hmm."

OED : electrocution (n.), from ELECTRICITY + EXECUTION ...

This is something you can survive??? Got news for you guys - electrocution means DEATH!!