British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Fubar

Help with some hammered

I've been asked to describe and value some coins and a few are giving me some problems.

This looks like it could be an Edward VI fine issue shilling from 1551-53 but why the curled and perfectly round edge.

The only thing I can think of is that it's been mounted at some time but has this devalued it totally?

It's 34.28mm in diameter but I have no weight.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Kris

post-5261-036911100 1360612867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fubar

I've been asked to describe and value some coins and a few are giving me some problems.

This looks like it could be an Edward VI fine issue shilling from 1551-53 but why the curled and perfectly round edge.

The only thing I can think of is that it's been mounted at some time but has this devalued it totally?

It's 34.28mm in diameter but I have no weight.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Kris

Hi Fubar/Kris

Looks like a shilling, mm y, Spink 2482. Someone else might be able to answer your rim question, but I don't think it would be through mounting ... It is very worn and that I think will determine it's value, somewhere in the range of £30-£50 would be my guess

Edited by Paulus

Looks like it is mounted within a ring as seen.

Thanks for the help, Gents.

It does seem to be mounted within a narrow ring.

The ring is about twice as thick as the coin, level on the obverse and raised above the reverse. This could be due to wear as if it has been used as a shove ha'penny token or something.

This time it's a Philip & Mary shilling of 1555 that's about as worn and probably worth about the same £30 to £50.

I'm always surprised at how relatively cheap these old hammered coins are. :(

The question this time is about the graffiti between the heads. Is it random or could it mean something?

Again any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards

Kris

post-5261-052878500 1360665882_thumb.jpg

Price Wise i'd say at least £100 even with the grafitti.

This time it's a Philip & Mary shilling of 1555 that's about as worn and probably worth about the same £30 to £50.

I'm always surprised at how relatively cheap these old hammered coins are. :(

The question this time is about the graffiti between the heads. Is it random or could it mean something?

Again any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards

Kris

Kris, you'd see much more than £50 for that in my opinion.

As for the graffiti, I'm struggling to decipher the letters. A lot of religious graffiti is present on coins of this era and so these initials might be indicative of this.

Thanks again for the replies.

More valuable than I thought. :rolleyes:

The graffiti on the obverse could just be "PM" but the other side is more obscure and could be religious. I hadn't thought of that.

Cheers

Kris

The graffiti on the obverse could just be "PM" but the other side is more obscure and could be religious. I hadn't thought of that.

Cheers

Kris

Kris, now that you come to mention it the two graffiti pieces look the same, albeit rotated 90 degrees. If PM then that would make sense, being Philp and Mary.

I would love a quality P&M or even a M....ONE DAY :)

A third one if you can help please.

This looks like an Edward but I'm not sure which one.

I think it's an Edward III groat (approx 27.5mm dia.) and worth about £50-£80.

There's a better one on London Coins that sold for £120 about a year ago.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Don't worry there's only another one to go after this. :)

The other 20 hammered coins should be relatively simple. :blink:

post-5261-094701800 1360785782_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Kris

I make it H M The cross bar of the H has been artistically made up of two strokes. The reverse says the same, but the right hand part of the lettering was either not completed or has worn.

Seems I must have got the Edward III about right judging by the lack of comments. :)

The attached is a James I shilling that looks double struck and I've tentatively marked at £80 to £100.

I know it's double struck but that doesn't explain the completely missing letter in the king's name. I have no idea how these were struck but I assume the die was the complete coin and the letters weren't just added afterwards.

An explanation would be nice if anyone can help and also if anyone has ever seen this before.

The other 20 coins are just the normal range from the Charles via Commonwealth to Victoria odds and ends. :(

Regards

Kris

post-5261-072747900 1360958001_thumb.jpg

nahs it is right.

I = J

Edited by scott

nahs it is right.

I = J

Yes but it reads "JACBUS" or "JAOBUS" rather than "JACOBUS". It appears the legend is turned through one complete letter while the portrait is only slightly doubled. :huh:

Kris

nahs it is right.

I = J

Yes but it reads "JACBUS" or "JAOBUS" rather than "JACOBUS". It appears the legend is turned through one complete letter while the portrait is only slightly doubled. :huh:

Kris

Sounds about right given the legend to the left of the mark reads RREX. It just means the last blow only affected the edge of the coin in the 11-2 o'clock region. i.e only a small portion of the die was used as the blow was at an angle to the perpendicular.

nahs it is right.

I = J

Kris

Sounds about right given the legend to the left of the mark reads RREX. It just means the last blow only affected the edge of the coin in the 11-2 o'clock region. i.e only a small portion of the die was used as the blow was at an angle to the perpendicular.

Sounds fair enough.

Thanks for the help.

At the moment this has just been a valuation exercise but these and others may or may not come up for auction at our local auction house.

If they do I'll add to this with the date and where you can see the catalogue.

Regards

Kris