British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Kipster

St James Premier Auction Today

Has anyone been watching the St James auction this morning? Some big numbers being reached. 

A 1954 VIP proof farthing graded PR66 just hammered for £2,000. 

Yes I had my eye on a couple of lots but they went for way over my budget. 

• Like 1

How about the 1945 proof brass 3d? I think went for 2400 or so? This is a VERY rare coin that I have not seen before. The 1955 halfcrown in proof very nice and think I know where it went...LOL.

On 11/10/2023 at 3:32 AM, VickySilver said:

How about the 1945 proof brass 3d? I think went for 2400 or so? This is a VERY rare coin that I have not seen before. The 1955 halfcrown in proof very nice and think I know where it went...LOL.

If it went to you, hats off.

Thanks. I really stretched the budget for that one.

• Like 4

Still no delivery & suspect customs which occasionally happens.

Ah, in hand and really nice coin. Will try to share pictures later today....Now where the heck is the '59 proof?

• Like 4

Very bad iPhone picture through TPG perspex

4B445F41-63E8-4A96-B29F-2E978676B399.jpeg

• Like 5

On 11/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, Kipster said:

A 1954 VIP proof farthing graded PR66 just hammered for £2,000. 

I had bid the coin up to £1,050 but watched in surprise as it climbed to almost double that.

The 1954 proof seems to be the most common of the "VIP" proof wren farthings to have appeared in the past decade (I think 4 have passed through London Coins since 2015), and where I'd recently picked up 1949 and 1956 proofs each for under £1k I had gone into it with a fair level of confidence that I'd win.

Will be interesting to see how the next example fares - though knowing my luck after all the activity for this date it will be the last one to surface for a couple of decades. 😅

17 minutes ago, Master Jmd said:

I had bid the coin up to £1,050 but watched in surprise as it climbed to almost double that.

The 1954 proof seems to be the most common of the "VIP" proof wren farthings to have appeared in the past decade (I think 4 have passed through London Coins since 2015), and where I'd recently picked up 1949 and 1956 proofs each for under £1k I had gone into it with a fair level of confidence that I'd win.

Will be interesting to see how the next example fares - though knowing my luck after all the activity for this date it will be the last one to surface for a couple of decades. 😅

That's about where I would have gone up to if I wasn't spread too thinly on other things.

Did you per chance nab any of the proof farthings in the LCA this weekend?

I second that. However, I have not concentrated on farthings despite having a couple (or two)...

On 12/6/2023 at 4:48 PM, Kipster said:

Did you per chance nab any of the proof farthings in the LCA this weekend?

There were some lovely coins in that block, but until I win the lottery I'm limiting myself to Wren farthings for the time being. 😅

• Like 1

I've just had the St James Argentum catalogue through, and noticed that their buyers premium is now 24% + VAT, same as Noonans. Not sure if this has just happened or if they've had it a while, but I certainly didn't pay that when I last bought from them.

It's only 5% odd extra, but it's all getting a bit expensive now. They know they're shooting fish in a barrel, but how long before the fish get canny?

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Kipster said:

I've just had the St James Argentum catalogue through, and noticed that their buyers premium is now 24% + VAT, same as Noonans. Not sure if this has just happened or if they've had it a while, but I certainly didn't pay that when I last bought from them.

It's only 5% odd extra, but it's all getting a bit expensive now. They know they're shooting fish in a barrel, but how long before the fish get canny?

Just adjust your bids. Everyone else will. Increasing fees does not increase gross prices - it just redistributes the shares of gross price as between vendor and auction house.  In effect, the vendor will pay the increased fee - not you. If the auction house has (through its marketing and reputation and wot not) increased gross prices more than the fees - everyone is a winner  👍 If not, the vendor loses out. Not buyer.  

• Like 1