British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

9 minutes ago, david.bordeaux said:

Possibly Raymond Carlyon-Britton (died April 1960), son of P.W.P.?

Ahh, yes, quite possibly…many thanks for that :)

It will be.

RCB, RCL, JGB, VJER, FEJ, PWP etc are all commonly used unambiguous abbreviations for the relevant collection. Simply because the names crop up so often.

• Like 1

Another couple of questions:

1) Comber’s ticket behind…any idea what the reference indicates, as it might identify the other ticket, which is clearly linked by value?

Is it Baldwin?

IMG_9574.jpeg

Question 2)

Another Comber ticket from a different coin. What do you think the references within the red oval means? Do you think the coin came from these sources, or is he just highlighting other examples he knows for comparison?

IMG_9579.jpeg

IMG_9580.jpeg

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

Question 2)

Another Comber ticket from a different coin. What do you think the references within the red oval means? Do you think the coin came from these sources, or is he just highlighting other examples he knows for comparison?

IMG_9579.jpeg

IMG_9580.jpeg

Those two refer to listings in the Bulletin. The first was in the Sept. 1949 issue, item 9356 priced at 45/-, the second was in Dec. 1951 at. 17/6d

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

Another couple of questions:

1) Comber’s ticket behind…any idea what the reference indicates, as it might identify the other ticket, which is clearly linked by value?

Is it Baldwin?

IMG_9574.jpeg

It just 79 B'win at a cost of £18.70. It's Michael Sharp's handwriting on the Baldwin ticket.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rob said:

Those two refer to listings in the Bulletin. The first was in the Sept. 1949 issue, item 9356 priced at 45/-, the second was in Dec. 1951 at. 17/6d

Blimey, Rob, you actually have those bulletins? Truly phenomenal, and thank you so much for digging that out!

So, are these references to ‘other’ coins, or connected to the actual coin itself?

59 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Blimey, Rob, you actually have those bulletins? Truly phenomenal, and thank you so much for digging that out!

So, are these references to ‘other’ coins, or connected to the actual coin itself?

That'd what happens when you combine nerd with sufficient storage space. Catalogues are 3 deep by now, but I still need to fill many gaps.

Must be references to other coins because the earlier one was two and a half times the price of the other. Things got reduced and relisted if they didn't sell, but not that much.

Edited by Rob
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Must be references to other coins because the earlier one was two and a half times the price of the other. Things got reduced and relisted if they didn't sell, but not that much.

Thanks, Rob!

Does anyone ever end up with all the paperwork from collections like these? All those pencil numbers must correlate with some probably extensive written records?

10 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Thanks, Rob!

Does anyone ever end up with all the paperwork from collections like these? All those pencil numbers must correlate with some probably extensive written records?

Sometimes :ph34r:

It requires people to retain all their notes and correspondence which doesn't happen very often. I have to confess I am remiss in that department, but I always keep any notes acquired that I can attribute or provide useful information.

Edited to add that 10 years ago(?) or so, there was a lot in a London sale (forget which one) which had a Shepherd catalogue (1885) and a few other things. Anyway , I bid 3 or 400 and was surprised to subsequently find out it had all Shepherd's correspondence which wasn't noted hence the nearly £2K it made. Not being in London meant no viewing. Had I known, I would have gone down for a day to go through it. Apparently there was quite a lot of material. So it is out there if you keep your eyes open.

Edited by Rob

I’m guessing that all of Chris’ paperwork remains with his family, presumably having plenty of what we would call sensitive material connected with it, bank details, fees, charges, transfers, etc., quite likely too much for his family to go through and vet. Might even be easier to burn such stuff?

I’d however love to read the background information and footnotes accompanying a couple of the numbers I currently have.

5 hours ago, Coinery said:

Question 2)

IMG_9579.jpeg

IMG_9580.jpeg

Sorry to labour this, but at the top of the ticket where it says ‘77 B win,’ do you think the Roman numerals represent the £38 he paid? I haven’t seen enough of his tickets to know whether he’s done that before? All the other ones I have are much simpler, with much less detail.

It could be connected to the fourth variety discovery or an example from an image. I thought it might have been a reference to the Cloncreen Bog hoard of 60 Elizabethan coins found in Co. Offaly in 1968, but there wasn't an Anchor in there (latest was Key), so I'm not sure yet.

13 minutes ago, Rob said:

It could be connected to the fourth variety discovery or an example from an image. I thought it might have been a reference to the Cloncreen Bog hoard of 60 Elizabethan coins found in Co. Offaly in 1968, but there wasn't an Anchor in there (latest was Key), so I'm not sure yet.

I guess the ink colour does suggest a connection with the variety?
Many thanks, Rob, always appreciate your insights.

The BNJ drew a blank, so when I have time I'll have a quick look through the Circular Index to see if there's anything in vol.38, but all is currently stuck behind a 2 deep 2-3 foot stack of Leu, Baldwin's, St. James's and Glens catalogues!

6 hours ago, Rob said:

The BNJ drew a blank, so when I have time I'll have a quick look through the Circular Index to see if there's anything in vol.38, but all is currently stuck behind a 2 deep 2-3 foot stack of Leu, Baldwin's, St. James's and Glens catalogues!

Thanks, Rob…beyond the call…

I can’t imagine that amount of material will ever be amassed again, I hope it all stays together now you’ve put the legwork into acquiring it all!

relevant on ebay

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Doubt if he would be giving free postage away now at its price now

In connection with another post, what would you say the provenance and timescale of this one is?

And, unless it was lost, Chris C. hadn’t prepared a ticket himself?

IMG_9680.jpeg

Steven Hill. Reverse might give more clues?
Not sure when he was at Baldwins and when he left. Rob might know?

1 hour ago, TomGoodheart said:

Many thanks, TG, much appreciated. :)

11 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

That's relatively easy. His last day at Spink I believe was 7/7/2005 which is obviously easy to remember. Sovereign Rarities have been around since 2016?

• Like 1

Thanks, Rob. I guess it doesn’t add very much to the coin, historically speaking, but it does at least say the coin’s been through a couple of hands who really should know better, if it’s a copy?