British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Kaya Yanar stand up comedy in English :lol:

• Like 1

Very good ChKy, enjoyed that! Extremely suble, amazed your English is that good! :)

We had a good old, grown-up, conversation the other day, after listening to a BBC 4 radio program about current German literature.

The saddest thing that was said was the kids of today's Germany are still growing up with the stigma of being the offspring of 'mass murderers!' This was said by a German writer, not me, but I felt deeply saddened about it!

My best friend (now dead) was married to a German woman, and his children also made this point very clear to me!

I spend so much of my time educating my son to believe, when he's fighting the iron cross on a play station, that he's not fighting Germany. What chance have the poor kids of Germany got? How long before they raise up and say 'once more, we're tired of you depressing our culture and our ways'?

I truly hope that comedy, and a lot more responsibility on the part of the gaming industry and sensible parents will help?

We sensibly ban racism, yet stupidly continue it in this ridiculous situation where I have to tell my son 'NO, he's not the baddy!' when he's playing a a WWI or II flying game!

Edit: sorry, that last point didn't come over properly! My point is they shouldn't even be allowed to develop games which discriminate in this way! It would be the same game to my son if the planes had catapillars and mushrooms for insignia!

Edited by Coinery

This just made my morning - thank you

Stuart. I don't think it really matters what insignia are on the planes - there will always be goodies and baddies irrespective of the identifying mark. Replace Germans or whatever with mushrooms and eventually the mushroom will be synonymous with evil. Human nature looks for something or someone to rally round. Safety in numbers or herd mentality, call it what you will, against the enemy or danger that must be there and is the default position.

As desirable as it may be, it will take a great deal to change opinions despite the events of WW2 being 70-80 years ago. A few years ago, my wife (who is German) looked after an autistic Jewish child on a one to one basis. The family were great, but when it came to taking the child to school it was a different matter. A large number of children were at a loss. Obviously conditioned to think ill of anybody German, she was looked on with great suspicion despite the attempts by teachers and the head to explain that she was doing good.

If you don't have broad minded parents, you are unlikely to achieve a balanced view from your ethnic or religious group in your school, social club or place of worship as these were often formed to create a rallying point for the culture or the 'oppressed'. Part of any nation's culture is remembering the historical wrongs done to your people as it provides a glue to maintain the group. Putting the past in the context of the time is hard. Being outward looking and treating everyone the same is even more difficult as it will inevitably be at the expense of your group's cohesiveness.

It's a shame though, isn't it, all those kids living under that umbrella!

What you say is true but, I for one, feel happy to sacrifice my own group cohesiveness in exchange for a society that's decent and kind!

If only that could come about!

• Like 1

As a bit of a solipsist, I have no problems personally you would associate with a herd mentality. People? Take 'em or leave 'em depending on how I perceive them as individuals, starting from the principle that most people are decent.

• Like 1

Stewie i totally agree with what you say about todays German kids still having too live with another generations atrocities. Living and working here i do see it first hand. While we must always learn from history and never forget what happened there should be a point where future generations SHOULD'NT be blamed for a previous generations actions.

Look at Britain during the 1700 and 1800s, they colonised 2 thirds of the planet while America dropped 2 A bombs in Japan and wiped out millions, what has been said about that? I really do think it's time to let the future generations be cut a little slack

• Like 2

One of my grandfathers said only a good German is a dead one.

Time moves on.

He had served in Africa in the 2nd world war.

I mentioned I had met Germans in Spain in the early 80's and we all had a great laugh and enjoyed their company.

He couldn't accept it.

I have found all of the Germans I have met are polite/educated not Q jumping and have a good sense of humor.

I can only go on my impression.

Nice people in my experience :)

For the ones I have met.

Don't forget they got a good slapping too when it wasn't 99% of German public's fault.

I saw on facebook where V2 rockets fell in the UK. Likewise their city's destroyed.

It must NEVER happen again.

Lets just take the French out and divide the country....dirty soap dodgers ;)

One of my grandfathers said only a good German is a dead one. Time moves on. He had served in Africa in the 2nd world war.

My German grand father served in Nothern Africa as well. I had the rank of a master sergant.

Besides that I have another nice clip :-) Michael Mittermeier in London

Edited by ChKy

Can anybody explain me why the posting of a connected youtube video is blocked?! :(

Edited by ChKy

Can anybody explain me why the posting of a connected youtube video is blocked?! :(

I know the forum software doesn't like more than one link in a post, but I'm not sure if it takes previous links into consideration.

Lets try him in Scotland then :)

nothing.... <_<

Edited by ChKy

I don't see why it shouldn't work for a youtube vid, when it seemed to work above.

Perhaps prohibited by youtube and the owner of the clip