British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

becksflorin

Can Someone Help Me Identify This Coin Please?

I'm thinking maybe a 1852 Florin but I'm not sure.

I can't get the thumbnail to enlarge, so I can't say for certain. If it is, the 'gothic' date will read mdccclii.

I can't get the thumbnail to enlarge, so I can't say for certain. If it is, the 'gothic' date will read mdccclii.

Nor me

Nor me

Nor me either :P

Maybe this pic is better? Thanks for the lightning quick responses!!

attachicon.gif043.JPG

It is a florin, and it's 1872, not 1852.

Any estimates of what this is worth out there?

From my phone it's difficult to put a price on! However, it does look like it may have been polished??? just from the way the light falls on the coin, and its general colouration?

Would you say that, in-hand, it has the appearance of say a brass item that's been buffed with brasso? Really difficult to describe it, really, I hope you know what I mean?

Others may be able to rule that out for you if they are viewing a full-res image?

Edit: For reference the spink guide is £50VF £250EF £650UNC

Edited by Coinery

Lol. I definitely did wash it with hand soap and water but NO polish or whatever. I washed it so i could see the writing to try and figure out what it was. I did however use a very soft toothbrush! The pics might seem a little strange cause i was messing on the settings on my camera trying to take a clear pic. I don't believe it has any kind of brassy look to it. It is definitely silver looking. It actually seems to be in pretty good condition if i didn't ruin it with the soap and toothbrush!!

attachicon.gifflorin001.jpgOK...I scanned it on the scanner this time. Maybe it will be a better pic!

Yes - that's a better picture. I'd say it was GF from that obverse, but interestingly there's no cross stroke on the 'f' of 'f.d.' - I don't know if it's a variety or just wear? If just wear then it's worth around £25, possibly a shade more.

florin001.jpgOK...I scanned it on the scanner this time. Maybe it will be a better pic!

Yes, much better, doesn't look polished in that one! ;)

attachicon.gifflorin001.jpgOK...I scanned it on the scanner this time. Maybe it will be a better pic!

Yes - that's a better picture. I'd say it was GF from that obverse, but interestingly there's no cross stroke on the 'f' of 'f.d.' - I don't know if it's a variety or just wear? If just wear then it's worth around £25, possibly a shade more.

Its die number 1, my die 1 also has a weak cross to the F, and you'll notice the doubled D in DG too

I would actually go a little more than that, both in grade and value. NVF for me, based partly on my instinct that the reverse will almost certainly be better. Gothic florins are running some way ahead of book now, so I would say £40 although that isn't what a dealer would pay. 1872 is however the most common of the bunch.