British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

It has a spot of Verd unfortunately

Hope you all like this.

1863F42open3obv.jpg

1863F42open3rev.jpg

Hope you all like this.

/

That looks like an open 3 Dave? can you blow the date up?

gouby1863-1.jpg

:)

David

No need for a blow up David.............It is an open 3, and apparently the finest known

Are you lucky enough to own it Azda?

and another. 5-10 known is turning into 10-20

post-5057-083530100 1314320955_thumb.jpg

Edited by azda

No, its an aquaintance of mine that owns that one. God knows the value of that

Get the toothpick and ammonia out.

When actually was the open 3 discovered.There maybe 100's lurking in car boot sales.

BTW nice coin. :)

How was the coin show Bob?

We're off on holiday today and the area has a couple of coin shops :) I'm on a geology walk Tuesday,I've packed my beachcasters and the mobile is off.

There is a broadband hotspot in the vicinity so my eldest is tasked with sorting this.

Get the toothpick and ammonia out.

When actually was the open 3 discovered.There maybe 100's lurking in car boot sales.

I think it was about 12 months ago Peter, 1st time i heard about it was when the ebay seller alfnail was selling one on ebay, it was less than Fine grade and sold for 540 quid i believe. I think that there's more known than the 7 Michael Gouby has now noted. The guy who own this one in the 1st post has noted himself 7 already in various auctions, then there's his, plus the one davidrj found and the one i have so that's 10 so far.Maybe John Stephenson has one, maybe it's time to dig out those old 1863s and take a looksy

Edited by azda

I think it was about 12 months ago Peter, 1st time i heard about it was when the ebay seller alfnail was selling one on ebay, it was less than Fine grade and sold for 540 quid i believe. I think that there's more known than the 7 Michael Gouby has now noted. The guy who own this one in the 1st post has noted himself 7 already in various auctions, then there's his, plus the one davidrj found and the one i have so that's 10 so far.Maybe John Stephenson has one, maybe it's time to dig out those old 1863s and take a looksy

Earlier than that Dave,

Not mentioned by either Peck (1970) or Freeman (1985), but Gouby illustrates one in his 1986 book, rating it as R7 (Exremely rare) with a price of £40 in Fine, also listed by Satin as his No.46 (2003)

Edited by davidrj

How was the coin show Bob?

We're off on holiday today and the area has a couple of coin shops :) I'm on a geology walk Tuesday,I've packed my beachcasters and the mobile is off.

There is a broadband hotspot in the vicinity so my eldest is tasked with sorting this.

Hi Peter,

I had a great time at the ANA Show in Chicago. The nice thing about the bigger shows are...they have more Dealers that have inventories of "Non-U.S." Coins. Most of the 50 to 100 dealer shows here are lacking in that type of material. I was looking for really nice English Victoria Pennies (1841,43,45,46,49, etc.)but found very few to pick from. I was disappointed in the Baldwin table...they didn't bring anything but silver and gold! Just my luck! LOL!

I pickup up a 1871 1/2 penny (Fair), and a 1879 penny (EF) though at bargain prices $3.25 each! They are both on eBay right now.

I asked one dealer from Arizona if he had any English copper or Bronze, and he picked up a small bag of them and handed it to me to look at. I picked out 2 or 3 (3.25 each), and while I was doing that he brought out 5 or 6 more bags of them. I decided that there were too many to go through, at that time...just too big a task...and offered to buy them all if the price was right. I purchased them all (1850) for .20 each! They are inclusive of Victoria, Edward, and both George's. It is going to be fun to see if anything good comes from them. My biggest problem with the penny purchase was getting them to the car. It just about wore me out carrying them to the car (about 3 blocks)! LOL!

I asked one Dealer from Texas about 1905 Half Crowns, and he replied that he didn't have any...then he added, well I have two, but they are both counterfiet (sp). I looked at both and the first one did look like a copy, but the other, a EF Half Crown looked like the real thing...it was a beauty! I failed to inquire about how he knew it was a copy! I wish I had.

I also bought a new Microscope from the USA Lighthouse Dealer. My current Micro won't shoot a full penny, only about half of it. The new one does. He had one set up for Demo, and I checked it out on the spot. It works great!

I went home with all I could carry, so I guess you could call it a success. <gggg> BTW...I hope you have a great Holiday!

Edited by RLC35

Earlier than that Dave,

Not mentioned by either Peck (1970) or Freeman (1985), but Gouby illustrates one in his 1986 book, rating it as R7 (Exremely rare) with a price of £40 in Fine, also listed by Satin as his No.46 (2003)

I'm really not surprised. It's got to be the smallest variety in existence (I mean, in terms of how significant the difference is, and how easy to spot). The narrow 3 - for all the ribaldry some here give it - is a massive change by comparison. Only the rare 1908 penny variant is comparable in 'now you see it, now you don't'.

I must admit that I know very little about the finer details of pennies, but I always like to learn.

This coin is from a 'job lot' some time ago, but as the '3' is different again, I'm showing it now for comments. Unfortunately it isn't to the same standard as the one that started this topic, but I don't collect these in quantity.

What can you tell me about this version?

Bill.

post-4874-048163600 1314449051_thumb.jpe

post-4874-096782400 1314449068_thumb.jpe

post-4874-011149200 1314449085_thumb.jpe

Just thought i'd add this here. The guy who owns the 63 open 3 at the top of the thread has been keeping track of open 3s sold, he's sent me the info regarding grades and prices paid.

1863 1863B Open 3 R7 Unc lus; finest known Oct 03 Gouby (my purchase)

1863B Open 3 R7 GF Dec 03 Ebay 440.00

1863B Open 3 R7 Fair Sep 05 Ebay 210.00

1863B Open 3 R7 Aunc lus Jun 06 Bamford 1587.94

1863B Open 3 R7 NVF Sep 09 Colin Cooke - Crocker 805.00

1863B Open 3 R7 Poor Dec 09 CCA 994.50

1863B Open 3 R7 NF Sep 10 LCA 444.60

1863B Open 3 R7 VF Sep 10 LCA 1755.00

1863B Open 3 R7 AF Nov 10 Colin Cooke – J Workman 287.50

There was obviously 3 missing from this list, 1 i have, the 1 david has posted and 1 that alfnail (ebay seller) had sold on ebay about 3 months ago in Fine or a smidge better for 540 quid. So, so far thats about 12 known

Just thought i'd add this here. The guy who owns the 63 open 3 at the top of the thread has been keeping track of open 3s sold, he's sent me the info regarding grades and prices paid.

1863 1863B Open 3 R7 Unc lus; finest known Oct 03 Gouby (my purchase)

1863B Open 3 R7 GF Dec 03 Ebay 440.00

1863B Open 3 R7 Fair Sep 05 Ebay 210.00

1863B Open 3 R7 Aunc lus Jun 06 Bamford 1587.94

1863B Open 3 R7 NVF Sep 09 Colin Cooke - Crocker 805.00

1863B Open 3 R7 Poor Dec 09 CCA 994.50

1863B Open 3 R7 NF Sep 10 LCA 444.60

1863B Open 3 R7 VF Sep 10 LCA 1755.00

1863B Open 3 R7 AF Nov 10 Colin Cooke – J Workman 287.50

There was obviously 3 missing from this list, 1 i have, the 1 david has posted and 1 that alfnail (ebay seller) had sold on ebay about 3 months ago in Fine or a smidge better for 540 quid. So, so far thats about 12 known

Getting quite common then. :P

Getting quite common then. :P

Sell it now Dave.....