British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Colin G.

1844 Farthing

Did any of the farthing guys on here get lucky with that 1844 farthing on ebay. Great eye appeal, but went way out of my budget range!! :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1844-NGC-MS63BN-GREAT-BRITAIN-FARTHING-KEY-DATE-/330591727097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf8cd6df9

Nice Farthing Colin. I hadn't noticed it.

It would of slotted in nicely but like Bob I hadn't noticed it. :(

It went a bit fierce in the end with only 2 bidders.In hindsight I wouldn't of been in with a chance.

I wonder what a 49 1d would make in that condition?

Maybe the fact that there was only 1 COLON after FID pushed the price farthing boys ;) Betcha didn't notice that till i mentioned it :rolleyes:

Its ok, the penny man will keep quiet that you farthing boys missed that HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE MISSING COLONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IN FID

Edited by azda

You can always tell a variety Man...Good job Azda! After you mentioned the colon, I had to check the one in my album, to see if it has the same missing colon...it doesn't. Mine is only GEF...not as nice as the on on eBay.

Maybe the fact that there was only 1 COLON after FID pushed the price farthing boys ;) Betcha didn't notice that till i mentioned it :rolleyes:

Its ok, the penny man will keep quiet that you farthing boys missed that HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE MISSING COLONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IN FID

Well spotted Dave BUT with the 1838 version of DEF. its value (according to CCGB) is LESS than DEF:

Although in my opinion it is scarcer.

Well spotted Dave BUT with the 1838 version of DEF. its value (according to CCGB) is LESS than DEF:

Although in my opinion it is scarcer.

I will concede on the FID though as the "top" full stop on FID & DEF is faded on mine. :blink:

You can always tell a variety Man...Good job Azda! After you mentioned the colon, I had to check the one in my album, to see if it has the same missing colon...it doesn't. Mine is only GEF...not as nice as the on on eBay.

Lol, ONLY GEF Bob, at least you have one. It was a nice looking coin though, was that about as expected for an 1844? Is that also the first time 1 missing Colon has been noted on an 1844? Is Colin going to have to do more variety work on his website now?

Edited by azda

i have it for 1845 which i dont see listed, if that is the case that it exists for 44 then my 45 FID. might be using that same reverse dye

i have it for 1845 which i dont see listed, if that is the case that it exists for 44 then my 45 FID. might be using that same reverse dye

Lol, Colin will be pulling his hair out ;)

Lol, ONLY GEF Bob, at least you have one. It was a nice looking coin though, was that about as expected for an 1844? Is that also the first time 1 missing Colon has been noted on an 1844? Is Colin going to have to do more variety work on his website now?

Well done Dave

As far as I'm concerned that is clear.(not noted by Peck,Bramah,Freeman et all)or me ;) although I haven't studied many (I got a lower grade one many years ago and haven't sought to improve...both top stops are less prominant)

My guess before the auction would of been £600.Lets hope 1/4d's don't go the way of Buns ;)

Once Colin publishes the market will rocket...and yes if I had spotted the FID.I might have gone to Mrs Peter for a release of funds.

Edited by Peter

Well done Dave

As far as I'm concerned that is clear.(not noted by Peck,Bramah,Freeman et all)or me ;) although I haven't studied many (I got a lower grade one many years ago and haven't sought to improve...both top stops are less prominant)

My guess before the auction would of been £600.Lets hope 1/4d's don't go the way of Buns ;)

Once Colin publishes the market will rocket...and yes if I had spotted the FID.I might have gone to Mrs Peter for a release of funds.

Well at least you now know that there is a variety of sorts out there for the 1844 and my guess is, that whoever bought it also saw the missing colon which in turn sent the coin spiraling into the unknown.

Attached are pics of one of my 1844 Farthings. In the 10x picture (smaller coin), you can hardly see any of either colon dots. In the 60x pic (larger coin), you can see part of the top dot, but only a whisper of the lower dot. The other colons on the coin are as they are supposed to be.

post-509-093652500 1312299400_thumb.jpg

post-509-036146800 1312299421_thumb.jpg

Well at least you now know that there is a variety of sorts out there for the 1844 and my guess is, that whoever bought it also saw the missing colon which in turn sent the coin spiraling into the unknown.

I don't think farthings have got to the stage where such a variety would command much of a premium, especially in the copper series.......this is also the problem with cataloguing, it's never ending, and requires you to be very sure before including them in any list. Mine is constantly redefining, but I am slowly getting there....the way it's going maybe by 2020 I will feel comfortable enough to throw it out there :lol:

Nice Farthing Colin. I hadn't noticed it.

It is one of the best 1844 farthings I have seen, I know Colin Cooke's example was lustrous but the reverse was a bit weak and there was a dreaded green spot on the back of the neck. I would have rather have paid 4 figures for that one than the other :)

So is last nights farthing going to be defined As a variety Colin?

My guess is no. The colon dots are notoriously variable and often indistinct on the entire copper series - as so often, is the legend lettering. Even an obsessive would be put off by trying to complete a set of copper with every possible colon dot gradation! An almost infinite series.

Can't see why not. At least it's a missing colon - or die wear and not some silly random dot somewhere.

Good spot by the way.

Can't see why not. At least it's a missing colon - or die wear and not some silly random dot somewhere.

Good spot by the way.

The missing one, you mean?

About a year ago a 'finest known' 1844 was on ebay for £5000 buy it now, I think it was slabbed at ms65 but I do not recall it selling, if it did I am sure it would have been an offer outside ebay.

About a year ago a 'finest known' 1844 was on ebay for £5000 buy it now, I think it was slabbed at ms65 but I do not recall it selling, if it did I am sure it would have been an offer outside ebay.

Must have missed that one!!

Please don't list every filled die variety! I can see somewhat if there is a single central colon , but not one high or low by virtue of the other being filled, etc.

If it was MS65, it was not one of the two major American grading companies that slabbed it.

PCGS only has one - AU55BN

NGC has 4: one each at XF40, AU58BN, MS62BN and MS63BN

Not at present, but it has gone into the "look out for one" list. I don't like to include them unless there is no doubt, or I have seen an example in hand :)

Please don't list every filled die variety! I can see somewhat if there is a single central colon , but not one high or low by virtue of the other being filled, etc.

Not every one :lol: that would just blow my mind :blink: