British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
hamnegg

inhereted friedrich v schiller coin

Ive inhereted a box of coins from my late father and i have found google very helpful identifying the majority but i have many that i cant really find any info for. 1 in particular is a small copper coin with Friedrich v schiller .. On the other side it says ZUM 100 JAHRIGEN GEBURTSFEST AM 10 NOV 1859. I cant find any info about it. Any help would be great thanks. Having trouble uploading pics. will try again.

I'm not fanstastic at German but I think that means something along the lines of 100 years from 10 November 1859?

Possibly a commemorative token from 1959?

Pictures would help!

Edited by SionGilbey

Found it! 1859.jpg

This Taler commemorates Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (10 November 1759 – 9 May 1805). He was a poet, philosopher, historian, and playwright. During the last seventeen years of his life (1788–1805), Schiller struck up a productive, if complicated, friendship with already famous and influential Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. They frequently discussed issues concerning aesthetics, and Schiller encouraged Goethe to finish works he left as sketches. This relationship and these discussions led to a period now referred to as Weimar Classicism. They also worked together on Die Xenien, a collection of short satirical poems in which both Schiller and Goethe challenge opponents to their philosophical vision.

The reverse eagle design dates back to the time of Charlemagne (742–814). It served as a metaphor of invincibility. In 1433 the double-headed eagle was adopted for the first time by the Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund. Since then the double-headed eagle came to be used as the symbol of the German emperor, and hence as the coat of arms of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation.

Mintage 20,000

Mine is different from that it has a man's head on it rather than an eagle. I tried to upload photos but it said they were too large. I will try again tonite after work. It's the best conditioned coin of all the ones in the box and there are around 200 in there. Thank you very much for your replys so far. I really apreciate it.

Done a search on the german sites and can come up with nothing. I am going to stick my neck out and say that it is probably a jeton and not a real coin or medal. Until we can get a pic with size and weight thats all I can add at the moment.

however I did come across this on Ebay while searching. A novel way to sell your coins...................... :lol:

€10 Gedenkmünze

however I did come across this on Ebay while searching. A novel way to sell your coins...................... :lol:

€10 Gedenkmünze

I wonder how many people pressed the 'enlage' button!

€10 Gedenkmünze

Was there a coin there? I must have missed it, better have another look :)

€10 Gedenkmünze

Was there a coin there? I must have missed it, better have another look :)

I have uploaded a video to you tube hope this helps . Thanks for all the input its very much appreciated.My link

ZUM 100 JAHRIGEN GEBURTSFEST AM 10 NOV 1859 is basically to commemorate 100 years of Friedrich Von Schillers birthday. I personally think thats a jetton or medal as i have the German equivilant of Spink and i don't see that listed, i have however seen 3 and 5 marks of these and proof specimens are worth a few notes.

Here ya go hamnegg, here's the proof Schiller, basically so you know what i was talking about, about the proof 5 mark

post-5057-079235900 1297215615_thumb.jpg

So I take it mine is just a Jerome then. I thought for a minute I had found something a bit special. Oh well I'm sure ill find something else in the box. Many thanks.