British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
silverdog

Anyone collect error coins ?

in case anyone is interested there is a £2 mis-struck error coind up for auction on ebay (begium)

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ERROR-TWO-POUNDS_W...=item19b75aadb3

I used to but sold of most of my errors to fund my world gold collection.

Below is the part of my website I wrote in regards to error coins which some might find of interest:

http://www.coinsgb.com/Error_Coins/Error_coins.html

I think I've finally worked out why error coins are not really a big collector "thing", especially in Britain. You see, with stamps, at least one whole sheet will be affected, which means a few dozen stamps at least, giving collectors a fighting chance of owning one. But with an error coin, it will be both unique and accidental, which taken together adds up to low interest (unlike 1954 pennies - unique date and a deliberate strking, or 1860 mule bronzes, which may well be an accidental pairing but there are enough around to make examples come along now and again).

i love error pieces, not paying 25 euros for one though,

i have a £2 2008 with no obverse dot at the bottom, a few clipped planchet pieces.

i love error pieces, not paying 25 euros for one though,

i have a £2 2008 with no obverse dot at the bottom, a few clipped planchet pieces.

Totally despise error coins - no offence to anyone it's just me. I'm drawn to the beauty of a coin and to find an imperfection would put me off entirely. I feel the same about overdates, misspellings etc. I'll never understand how they can be worth anything let alone the silly money some of them go for.

And don't get me started on stamps, it seems the more terrible a stamp looks the more valuable it is!!!!!!!

because errors, are interesting, a major planchet clip is very interesting piece, its more intregue and possibly like having a rare type

I think I've finally worked out why error coins are not really a big collector "thing", especially in Britain. You see, with stamps, at least one whole sheet will be affected, which means a few dozen stamps at least, giving collectors a fighting chance of owning one. But with an error coin, it will be both unique and accidental, which taken together adds up to low interest (unlike 1954 pennies - unique date and a deliberate strking, or 1860 mule bronzes, which may well be an accidental pairing but there are enough around to make examples come along now and again).

Yes, absolutely. Unless it's an error like "BBITANNIAR", which has occurred on a batch of coins, there will be no interest, because the error discovered is not well known and is indeed, unique to the finder. It has to have limited marketability before a collective interest is sparked.

Witness the 2008 20p debacle for an example of collective interest sparked by a moderately high number of error coins of the same type. Incidentally, I actually got one in my change the other day, but as is always the sod's law case whenever I get something unusual, it's got a weird stain on it.

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely. Unless it's an error like "BBITANNIAR", which has occurred on a batch of coins, there will be no interest, because the error discovered is not well known and is indeed, unique to the finder. It has to have limited marketability before a collective interest is sparked.

Witness the 2008 20p debacle for an example of collective interest sparked by a moderately high number of error coins of the same type. Incidentally, I actually got one in my change the other day, but as is always the sod's law case whenever I get something unusual, it's got a weird stain on it.

I think I agree with you. 'BBitanniar' and the like are interesting as they underscore the fact that mint workers of the time were illiterate and prone to make such mistakes. The 20p has interest, as it shows that even with modern technological mint processes, cock ups can still happen. Those which don't really do it for me are pieces which result from failure of machinery or process such as brockages, coins with a sector clipped out of them, or where a small piece of the lettering has been damaged. Generally speaking, I think the market agrees with me.

But as ever, each to his/her own.

I think I agree with you. 'BBitanniar' and the like are interesting as they underscore the fact that mint workers of the time were illiterate and prone to make such mistakes. The 20p has interest, as it shows that even with modern technological mint processes, cock ups can still happen. Those which don't really do it for me are pieces which result from failure of machinery or process such as brockages, coins with a sector clipped out of them, or where a small piece of the lettering has been damaged. Generally speaking, I think the market agrees with me.

But as ever, each to his/her own.

You can see how that might have happened. Somebody misread a capital R as a capital B, and because of their illiteracy, didn't understand that the resulting consecutive B's made no grammatical sense.

The 20p has interest, as it shows that even with modern technological mint processes, cock ups can still happen.

Assuming it was a cock up!

Personally, I can take an interest in design errors or overdates etc. as these are part and parcel of the minting process. So I can appreciate the error 20p etc. However, I do draw the line at one off errors where the planchet is clipped or where the wrong blank was fed into the machine or whatever. To me these are akin to 'seconds' quality goods.

But everyone to their own - whatever turns them on.

human error errors then, people should really keep an eye on whats inside the machine imo

Assuming it was a cock up!

My thoughts as well. If it was intentional it certainly seems to have worked as most of the public are checking their change and I'm sure it has laid the paving stones for new collectors.

As for errors I guess I like them because they are interesting. Each one tells a story and even though they aren't perfect that's the whole point. You can easily pick up say a standard bun head penny's but to find say a brockage one is a little harder as they shouldn't have made it out of the mint. Why do people collect varieties? It's might be to complete a type set granted but its also the thrill of the hunt and to own something most other collectors don't have.

They are also a great talking point when showed to others.

With the likes of brockages if you like the design of a certain side of a coin you get two for your money ;)

2ck1lj.jpg