British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Well we're back from our round trip in Germany. Beautiful country. We drove 2000+ miles taking in such places as Bremen, Goslar, Berlin, Schwerin, Oldenburgh and many others - and not a single coin dealer to be found! Perhaps you are becoming the only one in Germany, Chris??? Had a great time despite coming home with my coin money!

Edited by Geordie582

They do exist there, I remember several of them in a small area in Munich a few years ago. I also saw coin shops in Hamburg.

must have driven around the wrong loop! :angry:

Not really. It was still a trip to remember. :D

Recently a coin dealer closed down in Chemnitz. He blamed lack of material and lack of demand. In the end he was forced to dabble in modern commemoratives. Actually, he was totally clueless, overgraded and overpriced everything and even cleaned things.

Last night I drove from Boulogne to Chemnitz (12 hours) with my dad. It's about 700 miles in one go.

I find driving in Germany much easier than in Britain, and I can't figure our why :unsure: Mind you, I do not like the closeness of following cars - terrifying, especially when they approach at 100+ :blink:

Recently a coin dealer closed down in Chemnitz. He blamed lack of material and lack of demand. In the end he was forced to dabble in modern commemoratives. Actually, he was totally clueless, overgraded and overpriced everything and even cleaned things.

I've bought a few things from Germany via ebay, a couple of rarities included. I would say at least half have been cleaned. When I asked one seller why her coins were always cleaned, the reply was "My customers like to see what they are buying". :( I hope this isn't endemic in the Fatherland.

I've bought a few things from Germany via ebay, a couple of rarities included. I would say at least half have been cleaned. When I asked one seller why her coins were always cleaned, the reply was "My customers like to see what they are buying". :( I hope this isn't endemic in the Fatherland.

Unfortunatly cleaning of coins is rather commen place here in germany. I have bought many coins from the german Ebay site only to find that they have been cleaned. I once visited a local dealer and enquired about british coins, he dug out an album containing a collection of coins from Vic onwards. All the bronze and copper coins had been rubbed resulting in the high points being bright and shiny. When asked, he said he did it himself as they looked better that way..... needless to say I have not been back. I once had an old 5 Mark silver coin which I put up for sale on a german coin site. The coin was nicely toned, not tarnished. It did not sell, not even when I reduced the price to well below cat value. After months I got fed up and dipped it, relisted it, and it was gone within a week, strange.... Do not get me wrong, there are some good auction rooms and dealers in germany who do know what they are doing and believe it or not there are many good coins to be had. The problem with ebay is the majority of people selling coins are perhaps not in the know and believe it better, or more appealing to sell a shiny coin.

Geordie, by the way Oldenburgh is spellt Oldenburg and we probably passed each other on the autobahn as thats my neck of the woods.......

I've experienced the exact same. Albums full of world coins all scrubbed up or dipped to a lovely polished copper colour or a bright silver :-S

If you added up all the Euros worth in damage to perfectly good coins caused by Germans doing un-natural things to them, it's probably cost them more than re-building the old knackered infrastructure in the East!

Hope you weren't the joker that cut me up, at an exit, crossing my bows at about 180Km/hr. Boy do the locals like their speed! :huh:

Yes. I realise I had spelt Oldenburg incorrectly, but couldn't be bothered to edit! :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly my truck is governed, max 90kmh so it could´nt have been me but yes I know what you mean.... It seems no matter how fast you go there´s always some joker who wants to overtake.... It`s even a tourist trade over here with the japenese and others, actualy booking holidays here in germany just to speed up and down the motorways in hired Merc´s. There are even firms that do package holidays with this in mind....

Germany is the only country with no speed limit for the motorway so if you want to race down the motorway in your sports car at 160 plus mph then take a holiday in germany.... just watch out for me in my truck though! :D

As for "re-building the old knackered infrastructure in the East" the normal west german and anyone paying tax in the west is still paying the bill in the form of extra tax and thats nearly 20 years after reunification!! :angry: just a bit of useless info for you guys.

As for "re-building the old knackered infrastructure in the East" the normal west german and anyone paying tax in the west is still paying the bill in the form of extra tax and thats nearly 20 years after reunification!! :angry: just a bit of useless info for you guys.

I know all the debt was hidden away by the Commies and that the East was run down much worse than the estimates at the time, but even if it is still costing the richer West money, it has to be the best thing to do? I mean, you were one country originally and you're basically the same Volk. When the East is back on a level playing field with the West (which will still take some time) then the whole economy will be better for it. I do understand the native West German resentment though.

And the UK just finished paying off the USA for the help during WWII. Wars cost such huge amounts of money, no matter who starts them.

It appears that, nowadays, it is the victors of any conflict that pays!

The USA is paying heavily for rebuilding Germany and Japan after WWII, in terms of training their managers in effective business technique, and then promptly forgetting how to employ it in the USA after the 1960's. And we will see who won the Cold War, some 25 years after 1989, I have a feeling it may NOT be the USA, but Russia.

Then I hope they pay for the results! :D