British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

1853/5 Sixpence

post-381-1171968529_thumb.jpgpost-381-1171968547_thumb.jpg

Not recorded anywhere else to my knowledge. Clearly a die sinker's error as opposed to a reused die.

Thanks, I'll put that in CCGB2008.

Nice find Rob. Do you have any close up pictures of the date?

Nice find Rob. Do you have any close up pictures of the date?

With the toning, it's a bit difficult to get a good image because the light needs to come in from all sides. This is about the best I can do.

post-381-1172008147_thumb.jpg

Nice! another vararity to try and find now. :)

Edited by Hussulo

Thats a good find.

I think I got the picture now half left of 5 was struck by 3.

Is there any excess metal underneath the 1 and 3 if it is Repunced Date all number should have it or just one number?

How Repunced date happened in GB coin thus it have seperate die for date or the whole die is one including the other inscription?

Thats a good find.

I think I got the picture now half left of 5 was struck by 3.

Is there any excess metal underneath the 1 and 3 if it is Repunced Date all number should have it or just one number?

How Repunced date happened in GB coin thus it have seperate die for date or the whole die is one including the other inscription?

Only one character is overstruck. This was done when making the die. The sinker inadvertently used a 5 punch instead of a 3, but realising his error made a correction. Several blows would be required to punch in a character fully, so there was probably only one hammer blow made with the 5.

Edited by Rob

Thank you for the info.

And the meaning of die sinker's.

The person who made the die by punching in the characters.

260614sto075_zpsbba4dd72.jpg

Welcome back John!

That's as clear an overdate as you're going to get,I reckon. Yours?

Thanks Peck. Yes, it's a good and clear example.

Purchased last week and for sale this week ;)

I hope you're keeping well?

Rob, is that just my eyesight or is that a bit of metal extending above the top loop of the 8? These two look a bit different and diff. type of overdate perhaps??

Rob, is that just my eyesight or is that a bit of metal extending above the top loop of the 8? These two look a bit different and diff. type of overdate perhaps??

That might just be trickery with the toning. Sorry, can't check, it is long gone. Not for the first time I was struggling to take a decent picture.

Keep us posted with your fishing,footie,malt,cigars...I believe we would have two tents. B)

Monte Christo time.

I can feel a big BBQ coming on this weekend. :)

As well as can be expected, I suppose. You?

As well as can be expected, I suppose. You?

Fit and well thanks Peck.

Keep us posted with your fishing,footie,malt,cigars...I believe we would have two tents. B)

Too skint to fish, watch footie, drink or smoke Peter, so I have to rely on the only pleasure in life that is free........moaning about the state of the England cricket and football teams

Too skint to fish, watch footie, drink or smoke Peter, so I have to rely on the only pleasure in life that is free........moaning about the state of the England cricket and football teams

One plus though. Pointless Celebrities has just found another couple of dozen contestants for the programme. :)

I fear their salaries will be too high for more than one footballer and 4 cricketers to compete though Rob.

You can't complain about the cricket too much - 2 closer finishes in consecutive Test matches you couldn't hope for!

You can't complain about the cricket too much - 2 closer finishes in consecutive Test matches you couldn't hope for!

Only England can snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

At one time we were 15-1 on to win