British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

What auction houses and reputable shops should I be keeping my eye on?

4 minutes ago, SilverAge3 said:

After a period he did send me a current list, although he didn't answer my queries regarding payment options, or to be sure he posts to the states.

Now I have a question regarding abbreviations in his price list, I would appreciate if anyone could kindly sort me out. I'm feeling dense for not getting it.  What is the 'MT', as seen in some of these penny listings? My brain wants to read it as 'Matte,' but I don't think these are proofs, and 1937 proof, for example is thusly labelled.

MT = Mint Toned, usually with Sodium Hypochlorite..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Ah ok, thanks. Now I get it, the hypo years. Appreciate the speedy response.

On 1/17/2024 at 2:14 PM, DaveG38 said:

Sometimes I wonder if I took my degree in Chemistry. Hypo is Sodium Thiosulphate, not Hypochlorite. Duuhhh!!

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 1:08 PM, DaveG38 said:

Sometimes I wonder if I took my degree in Chemistry. Hypo is Sodium Thiosulphate, not Hypochlorite. Duuhhh!!

Bleach 'em, that's what I say! It is confusing though, but I've just googled it and an old name for sodium thiosulphate was "hyposulphite of soda" which is where the hypo comes from

Glad MT didn't mean mounted.....

Edited by oldcopper
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:56 AM, Master Jmd said:

I've been collecting Pokémon cards for a long time now and know of all of the big name auction houses for those, but for coins I'm mostly in the dark at the moment. I'd love to find out what places I should be keeping my eye on - even if it's just to drool at listings which are way beyond my budget.

I'm hoping a list already exists (I couldn't find one when searching), but if not for the sake of this post I may as well list what I'm already aware of.

For auction houses, I'm aware of:

For reputable shops, I'm aware of:

I'm sure there are a lot more I'm missing, and would love to find out about them!

Since you listed Heritage, some other houses here in the US with some British predecimal:

Stephen Album Rare Coins (must request ability to bid in every auction, and set a total dollar limit)

Stack's Bowers 

Great Collections - cheapest shipping options and premium by far ($5 min BP; 10% by echeck/ach, or 12.5% other methods -- compare to $20-29 min BP, 20% at the others... esp lower cost coins that min makes a huge difference). They also usu ship w/in 3 days of payment posting, vs upwards of 1-3 weeks for others.

Edited by SilverAge3
  • Like 1