Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Thank you I thought it would be a bit different from the normal ones around and a bit of fun. Will have to change it from time to time, just to keep you on your toes.

As they say "Hare today, gone tomorrow".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok don't keep Rabbiting on about it then😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another for the collection. 1907 "Crockers Drapery Exhibition" seen better days but hey ho they are not easy to find 😃

1010594945_1907EdwardVIIEncasedFarthingCrockersDraperyExhibitionRev400.jpg.6ce4686f0ae64de08218e4ac261db926.jpg2035617027_1907EdwardVIIEncasedFarthingCrockersDraperyExhibitionObv400.jpg.df21de883477563ac4edc32b145dcd45.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my 1 and only encased farthing

1907 Advertising farthing 1873
The Hutchinson Brothers 'Universal' stores' were a very well known company in 1906 
They operated 3 Auckland stores one at the corner of Custom St West / Queen street and the others at Ponsonby and Newmarket.
They were Grocers and General supply sellers.

IMG_9499.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a nice example of one I do not have, very envious 😍😍 Thanks for sharing this with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just added this one to the collection. Nothing spectacular but does have some interesting doubling on the letters on the surround. I am interested to know how this has come about, see pictures. How does this occur? Any explanation or theory on how this may have been struck etc, please.  There must be someone out there that can explain it to me.

1623627925_1950ChelseaHotelRevMacro4.jpg.4eda886579ae5886f41ab4ab3c0c4f1d.jpg

1845504308_1950ChelseaHotelRevMacro1.jpg.946b69f056fee7cd9544c109d6205c75.jpg

482704221_1950ChelseaHotelRevMacro2.jpg.1cdbd160f3fdb1059366cd6273a103d1.jpg

1460273023_1950GeorgeVIEncasedFarthingChelseaHotelObv300.jpg.6327ef0ad5d15e60d1911f13f95a8685.jpg1785380780_1950GeorgeVIEncasedFarthingChelseaHotelRev300.jpg.b4f49f2051603f557e57e6f7b7b737fc.jpg

1950 Chelsea Hotel Rev Macro 3.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really interesting topic.

How were these produced Mick? I have seen something similar in a fairground, where the punter stamps their own in a machine. But were the examples you show produced like that, or were they handed to customers, maybe with or without a coin inside them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Really interesting topic.

How were these produced Mick? I have seen something similar in a fairground, where the punter stamps their own in a machine. But were the examples you show produced like that, or were they handed to customers, maybe with or without a coin inside them.  

Hi Mike as far as I am aware the coins were pressed into the aluminum surround during manufacture. Although I don't have any firm proof of this. The majority of encased farthings in the UK were produced by J R Gaunt you can tell this by the initials of JRG on the surrounds although some were produced by other manufacturers some of which I have yet to establish so most are unknown.

They were made as advertising pieces for the different retailers so would assume they were given out to customers as lucky coin gifts. The most common being Hooper Struve and Chelsea Hotel Jersey these come up quite often. I find them an interesting sideline to my other collections. Recently though I seem to be spending more time researching these and hunting them down. It's very rewarding when I do manage to track one down I haven't found yet. I just wish there were other collectors out there that I could chat to and swap information, it seems there is only a handful of us collecting these.

Below is an example I have been after for a while it's from my home Town where I used to live as a teenager and into my early 20s the pub advertised I have actually visited. It's now closed down and is a private house now.

778992058_1936GeorgeVEncasedFarthingOleInTheWallRev400.jpg.8c5876e1e8a43628cccfbb5032f27884.jpg599085284_1936GeorgeVEncasedFarthingOleInTheWallObv400.jpg.a39dfcd024344f62ab9c7ae92f341e05.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Hi Mike as far as I am aware the coins were pressed into the aluminum surround during manufacture. Although I don't have any firm proof of this. The majority of encased farthings in the UK were produced by J R Gaunt you can tell this by the initials of JRG on the surrounds although some were produced by other manufacturers some of which I have yet to establish so most are unknown.

They were made as advertising pieces for the different retailers so would assume they were given out to customers as lucky coin gifts. The most common being Hooper Struve and Chelsea Hotel Jersey these come up quite often. I find them an interesting sideline to my other collections. Recently though I seem to be spending more time researching these and hunting them down. It's very rewarding when I do manage to track one down I haven't found yet. I just wish there were other collectors out there that I could chat to and swap information, it seems there is only a handful of us collecting these.

Below is an example I have been after for a while it's from my home Town where I used to live as a teenager and into my early 20s the pub advertised I have actually visited. It's now closed down and is a private house now.

778992058_1936GeorgeVEncasedFarthingOleInTheWallRev400.jpg.8c5876e1e8a43628cccfbb5032f27884.jpg599085284_1936GeorgeVEncasedFarthingOleInTheWallObv400.jpg.a39dfcd024344f62ab9c7ae92f341e05.jpg

"'ole in the wall" as a pub name - love it ! 

Thanks Mick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coin is encased at the time they are produced,, there used to be an organisation called the Encased Collectors International who solely focused on encased cents. I spoke to them for a while and sent some modern coins and farthings off to be encased of which they returned me a few samples of each.

 

Ring-ECI-A-Rev1 copy.jpg

Ring-ECI-Halfpenny-A-Rev1 copy.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Colin G. said:

The coin is encased at the time they are produced,, there used to be an organisation called the Encased Collectors International who solely focused on encased cents. I spoke to them for a while and sent some modern coins and farthings off to be encased of which they returned me a few samples of each.

 

Ring-ECI-A-Rev1 copy.jpg

Ring-ECI-Halfpenny-A-Rev1 copy.jpg

Thanks, Colin for sharing these images really like both of them. You say you had a few examples of these. I don't suppose you would have a spare of the farthing one. I knew they existed, but as yet have not managed to acquire one for my collection. Or perhaps you know of someone that may have one available to purchase, please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Encased US coin here if anyone interested 

 

encased US coin rev.jpg

encased US coin.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another new addition to the collection.

657471336_1939GeorgeVIEncasedFarthingHaveringNumismaticSocietyRev.thumb.jpg.a92d11fba028d467561b9ac4f3d895d8.jpg1086141788_1939GeorgeVIEncasedFarthingHaveringNumismaticSocietyObv.thumb.jpg.a64264ca835c40801bbabe0c09f30392.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 2:38 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Another new addition to the collection.

657471336_1939GeorgeVIEncasedFarthingHaveringNumismaticSocietyRev.thumb.jpg.a92d11fba028d467561b9ac4f3d895d8.jpg1086141788_1939GeorgeVIEncasedFarthingHaveringNumismaticSocietyObv.thumb.jpg.a64264ca835c40801bbabe0c09f30392.jpg

My Local Club! It's lovely to see these getting around further than the members own collections!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×