British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

HAT OFF Jerry some fantastic buys and makes all the time spent looking worthwhile ;)

• Like 1

Agreed I am still drooling :P

• Like 1

Well done Jerrry - especially the F98, which seem to be incredibly difficult to get in high grade. Sone really nice buys there. 

• Like 1

How much scarcer are these Pennies with the colon dots right on top of the G. I was looking on Michael Gouby's site and looking at the different Positions and trident orientations on the 1851-1859 Pennies and there isn't a picture of any with the colon dots virtually touching the G after REG .? thanks :)

1858.OT.close.colons.to.G-horz.jpg

Check the date on that Zoo as i cant tell properley from the picture but possibly 8/3 ?.

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Check the date on that Zoo as i cant tell properley from the picture but possibly 8/3 ?.

No mate sadly just an ordinary-ish date but the first 8 has a stop on the middle and there are various die flaws and stops before and after letters and a strange T with the right serif comes down then has an arm jutting out to the right. Lots of repairs on this coin seems like nearly every letter has been repunched or botched together lol

1858.O,dot.R.jpg

1858.T.dot.I.jpg

1858f.dot.i.jpg

1858flawb4V.jpg

1858Gc.jpg

1858hookedT.jpg

1858stopafterA.jpg

1858stopon8.jpg

1858trident.jpg

19 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

HAT OFF Jerry some fantastic buys and makes all the time spent looking worthwhile

Here Here.

• Like 1

Think zookeperz has now covered much of what I have just typed, but here goes anyway!

I believe this is a Gouby Date Style A

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/cp_1858.htm

Pictures of one of my own examples attached; think exact same dies, noting the following:-

·         Same die flaw to front of truncation, looks to be a bit more developed on your piece

·         Same die flaw as your piece (highlighted with red arrows) around the T of VICTORIA

·         Not pictured, but my example also has an additional obverse flaw running through the base of the TIA of GRATIA, same as on your own coin

·         Same very close REG colon position, note G repaired

·         Same N’s of BRITANNIAR, particularly noting the clumsy 2nd N repair

·         Date has small additional piece to inner bottom loop of the 1st  numeral 8 (again highlighted with arrow)

·         8’s seem a little ‘pointed’ at top left of top loop (again highlighted), yours may have an additional mark which I think has suggested to Pete it may be an overdate……...which I don’t think it will be!

Not a particularly rare variety in my opinion, colons on the Victorian copper penny series are all over the place!

PredecimalSized.jpg

• Like 2

Another:

DSCF9350.JPG

DSCF9351.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

Think zookeperz has now covered much of what I have just typed, but here goes anyway!

I believe this is a Gouby Date Style A

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/cp_1858.htm

Pictures of one of my own examples attached; think exact same dies, noting the following:-

·         Same die flaw to front of truncation, looks to be a bit more developed on your piece

·         Same die flaw as your piece (highlighted with red arrows) around the T of VICTORIA

·         Not pictured, but my example also has an additional obverse flaw running through the base of the TIA of GRATIA, same as on your own coin

·         Same very close REG colon position, note G repaired

·         Same N’s of BRITANNIAR, particularly noting the clumsy 2nd N repair

·         Date has small additional piece to inner bottom loop of the 1st  numeral 8 (again highlighted with arrow)

·         8’s seem a little ‘pointed’ at top left of top loop (again highlighted), yours may have an additional mark which I think has suggested to Pete it may be an overdate……...which I don’t think it will be!

Not a particularly rare variety in my opinion, colons on the Victorian copper penny series are all over the place!

PredecimalSized.jpg

Agreed all points exactly the same just some more advance in wear but definitely the same dies ty alf nice 1

Richard

On 7 March 2018 at 3:23 PM, zookeeperz said:

Lots of repairs on this coin seems like nearly every letter has been repunched or botched together lol

There are more varieties of 1858 than possibly all other copper pennies put together. It was all down to the delays involved introducing the bronze with which the Mint had major problems. So they used and reused the 1858s. Then the delays continued so they had the 1859, finally the very rare 1860 just before the bronzes were ready.

• Like 3

Newbie, Suffolk Woodbridge Penny Conder token, 1796

1796_1d_suffolk_woodbridge_dh_15_ref_016

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Paulus said:

Newbie, Suffolk Woodbridge Penny Conder token, 1796

1796_1d_suffolk_woodbridge_dh_15_ref_016

Just out of interest, how can you tell it's 1796?

32 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Just out of interest, how can you tell it's 1796?

The edge inscription reads " PUBLISHED BY R. LODER 1796 . X . ", as confirmed on the main reference material (Dalton & Hamer)

Good question, I must try and learn how to photograph edges!

• Like 2

To photograph edges, first get yourself an old fashioned torch. One with a central bulb and, more importantly, a reflector.

Take out the reflector and throw the rest of the torch away. The new LED versions are much better anyway.

Standing the reflector so that from above, it becomes a dish place your edge marked piece as horizontally as you can in this bowl.

As you're lowering it in, check that you can read the edge description. i.e. it's not upside down. This makes the later stuff easier.

Now as you hover over the coin with your camera at an appropriate angle you'll see the edge inscription reflected in the bowl you have created, only now it will be in mirror writing.

Take your pics and then reverse them out in your favourite editing software.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, bagerap said:

To photograph edges, first get yourself an old fashioned torch. One with a central bulb and, more importantly, a reflector.

Take out the reflector and throw the rest of the torch away. The new LED versions are much better anyway.

Standing the reflector so that from above, it becomes a dish place your edge marked piece as horizontally as you can in this bowl.

As you're lowering it in, check that you can read the edge description. i.e. it's not upside down. This makes the later stuff easier.

Now as you hover over the coin with your camera at an appropriate angle you'll see the edge inscription reflected in the bowl you have created, only now it will be in mirror writing.

Take your pics and then reverse them out in your favourite editing software.

Thanks, I will try that!

Considering how much I'd had to drink before I wrote that, it came out remarkably comprehensible.

• Like 3