British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

newheart

Edward Silver Penny

Help a beginner out! I purchased my first unidentified hammered silver coin and while I am pretty confident it is an Edward The something Penny I am not sure which Edward. Let alone the mint. I have done considerable research online and made good use of my copy of Spinks Coins of England plus "Englands Striking History" but I am stumped. I have taken the best photos I can, the top 2 are not quite a natural colour, I have enhanced the contrast a little to aid identification. The bottom is near natural colour. The coin is 20mm diameter. Cannot give a weight yet (scales on order). The coin 'feels right' and is worn.

I believe the obverse text is EDWARD REX ANGL DN. Reverse more difficult, possibly COM G/R U/V EC NIVA IIP/K E. 

Pellet before the E of EDWARD.

The N is of the Lombardic style.
The cross mintmark is typical of Edward 3. 

Can someone can tell me if this is a tri-foliate crown or not?

Oh, and if this is a modern copy, break it to me gently but this coin was pretty cheap.Thanks in advance, Pete

old-cross-silver-coin-ufo-7.jpg

old-cross-silver-coin-ufo-3.jpgold-cross-silver-coin-ufo-4.jpg

Strange. I am hosting these pictures on my own web site, it should work ok. This is what I can see:

Image4.jpg

have put them here for ya, had to open link in new tab, its not English, they did imitate them in Europe in this period but i've never seen one like that, 

old-cross-silver-coin-ufo-3.jpg

old-cross-silver-coin-ufo-7.jpg

• Like 1

the pictures have all turned up now lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, craigy said:

the pictures have all turned up now lol

Phew!!

got a feeling its a modern copy, some one will be along who knows, just looks too clean and sharp

• Like 1

" its not English, they did imitate them in Europe in this period but i've never seen one like that,  " - I wondered about that. I could not find any quite like this - the crown especially is quite distinctive.

9 minutes ago, craigy said:

its not English,

How can you tell?

2 minutes ago, newheart said:

How can you tell?

the legend should read something like CIVI/TAS/CAN/TOR (CITY OF CANTERBURY) OR CIVI/TAS/LON/DON, VILL/NOVI/CAS/TRI  (NEWCASTLE) 

https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwardian-Pennies/Edwardian%20Pennies%20P18.htm#The mints

https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwardian-Pennies/Edwardian%20Pennies%20P1.htm

• Like 1

Think i posted this in eBays worst offerings last week. I felt it was a replica. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, craigy said:

got a feeling its a modern copy, some one will be along who knows, just looks too clean and sharp

Could be, though to my untrained eye is it quite convincing, with wear in the right places. Was from a seller who does not sell usually sell coins. Only cost me £11.Certainly has been educational so far!

2 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Think i posted this in eBays worst offerings last week. I felt it was a replica. 

Ooh I will take a look, ta!

2 minutes ago, newheart said:

Ooh I will take a look, ta!

5th October.  

• Like 1

Looking at it close up now I'd say its one of dave greenhalgh. (Moneta Grunal). 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Looking at it close up now I'd say its one of dave greenalghs. (Moneta Grunal). 

That would be the first place I'd be looking! It's not contemporary with the Plantagenets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craigy said:

Could be, though to my untrained eye is it quite convincing, with wear in the right places. Was from a seller who does not sell usually sell coins. Only cost me £11.Certainly has been educational so far!

10 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Looking at it close up now I'd say its one of dave greenhalgh. (Moneta Grunal). 

Thanks, I will take a look. Does he mark his coins to indicate they are copies (or is it a  numismatics occupational risk)?

No. He tends to put nonsensical legends on them. Sometimes Civitas Grunal but mainly just random letters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

No. He tends to put nonsensical legends on them. Sometimes Civitas Grunal but mainly just random letters.

I've got one here with Clive's Historic Coinage (.com) as the reverse legend, very well made! ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Interesting. On both sides or just the reverse?

I had a look at his catalogue, and none look like this one. The size is wrong compared to his offerings too. I re-measured mine and it is nearer 19.5mm (3/4").

I have emailed  Moneta Grunal with a photo to ask if it is one of his. 

• Like 2

There's a few companies make them. Grunal is a guess. I am certain its a fantasy mix up. It does not meet the criteria of any Edward coins that I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ukstu said:

There's a few companies make them. Grunal is a guess. I am certain its a fantasy mix up. It does not meet the criteria of any Edward coins that I've ever seen. 

Too clean, too bright, too sharp?

11 minutes ago, newheart said:

Too clean, too bright, too sharp?

The reverse legend is nonsense and the obverse legends incorrect from any Edward coins ive seen. It doesn't make sense , thats the major giveaway. Plus as you say its sharp and bright. You do see nonsensical legends on continental coins imitating english coins but you can see there aged and are contemporary to the period, this does not look old. When i first saw it on eBay with the sellers pictures i thought it looked plastic or pewter.

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1