British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Jimmyb0468

Chinese Kew garden 50p

Hi there. It's Saturday afternoon and I'm sitting browsing coins on eBay. Out of interest, I start looking at Kew Gardens 50p. (Which I don't collect)   An earlier forum post had mentioned the price of this coin was rising and I thought I'd take a look.  There is a coin for sale. It has attracted 25 bids so far, and with over 2 hours to go, its sitting at £59.....however, the seller CLEARLY states, this coin is a CHINESE COPY!!!!!!           Why is this?  What am I missing? Surely, copies are virtually worthless ? (Sorry, can't post a link, )

some strange people about

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, copper123 said:

some strange people about

Very

Maybe need to ask seller's customers' - umpteen buyers (all different) but using identical feedback "could be next Kew gardens"???!!!

• Like 1

I can remember posting on these forums that a replica (a very bad one) sold for over GBP 100. On a more serious note replica coins being passed

as genuine destroy people's confidence Ebay lists them even though it is against their rules which say replica/copy coins should be clearly marked as such.

In the case of UK coins isn't it illegal to forge coins in your country.

• Like 1

Sorry I should have mentioned the coin in question was a 1905 1/2 crown.

I wonder, in a few years time, who is going to buy back this stuff, and at what price.

• Like 1