British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

The Copthorne collection of pennies

6 hours ago, azda said:

No one hates dealers, more the obscene amounts they can charge compared to the price paid. One example of this is the 120k coin sold at the Spink Slaney sale now asking for 220k for the same coin, a little ridiculous IMO

It's called "free market" Dave! Ha,Ha!

1 hour ago, RLC35 said:

It is a free market Bob, an expensive one if you don't do your homework though. Nothing personal against people making a living and so on, but I can't fathom why someone would pay 100k more on a known coin, I mean, the book price for the coin I'm hinting about is 55k VF,  not sure why it would quadruple in price after a dealer buys it for 120k, surely if he's paying that then it's already at market value.

Anyway been a long day already....Need to take care of my pet troll 

9 hours ago, azda said:

No one hates dealers, more the obscene amounts they can charge compared to the price paid. One example of this is the 120k coin sold at the Spink Slaney sale now asking for 220k for the same coin, a little ridiculous IMO

after a dealer buys it for 120k, surely if he's paying that then it's already at market value.

You are right about market value pricing...the last sale is the market price, at the time...until the next sale...then the next sale becomes the market value! :)

Just now, RLC35 said:

after a dealer buys it for 120k, surely if he's paying that then it's already at market value.

You are right about market value pricing...the last sale is the market price, at the time...until the next sale...then the next sale becomes the market value! :)

Here's hoping it drops 119k in price then :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, azda said:

Here's hoping it drops 119k in price then :)

Its priced as such as (presuming i know what coin you are talking about) as its owner is at heart still a collector. If someone wants it, they've got to pay what he wants. If i could afford to operate like that and buy that type of coin i wouldn't want to sell it either

1 hour ago, mhcoins said:

Its priced as such as (presuming i know what coin you are talking about) as its owner is at heart still a collector. If someone wants it, they've got to pay what he wants. If i could afford to operate like that and buy that type of coin i wouldn't want to sell it either

at 120k i wouldn't be buying coins, maybe a house somewhere sunny

My few bids are in.

Hope everyone gets what they may of placed bids on ......Unless my couple :D

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

My few bids are in.

Hope everyone gets what they may of placed bids on ......Unless my couple :D

How long does The auction run for?

1904 4 points to tooth?

what the?

24 minutes ago, azda said:

How long does The auction run for?

I believe it's until there's only 1 bidder left in, so it will vary for each coin

24 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I believe it's until there's only 1 bidder left in, so it will vary for each coin

Sounds like The same As they did with The Workman collection, seems to work. Might hab a Look when bids have been added and See what we're dealing with 

A week unless you are outbid ......You then have the chance to bid more so a couple of lots may go longer .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scott said:

1904 4 points to tooth?

what the?

worth £10 Scott as scarcer :)

36 minutes ago, scott said:

1904 4 points to tooth?

what the?

There's a thread in the forum about it, more than just the 2 types where the four is placed

Here look at Dave's post

Dont no if the 1904,s i sent you Matt were part of that bag of varieties.

There are loads but £10 not a lot of money if you want one :)

yea but there are 2 types of 4 to tooth i think, i'm more interested in the 04 close part.

cant find another example on ebay atm either.

Scott ......Groom book mentions about 8.

Although with date widths and plumes i have had 13 :)

Pete.

No 1904s Pete. I have a 4 to tooth but it's not as slanted as Steve's one. Somewhere between his and the normal variety

Some of the bids are starting to be added to the site now. I have one question, why has lot 140 been sold already? Or is it a typo?

Well, I assume a typo as it's now without bids.

Well I've put my two bids in, although whether I'll still have enough money to still be in the race at the end, is a moot point. 

Edited by 1949threepence
typo
  • Like 2

I have a couple of bids in now myself. Not sure if I will come out with any in the end. Would just be nice to say I had an Ex-Copthorne in my collection =D

• Like 1

I tried putting a couple of bids in last night but they didn't appear to be submitted for some reason. Do you get email confirmation or anything?