British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
sound

Scarce Liz II Silver

"Completist can be a bit of an obsession!!!"

Dave, every collector should frame that. LOL. Let's face it, it's a nurdy hobby/obsession. But then so is soccer.

By the way anybody collect 'flags of the world' or 'American civil war cards' when they were a kid?

M

It's all down to bubble gum for me. One of the makers (Wrigleys?) in the 1950s produced a series of paper inserts in their packs called 'Strange But True' in which they recounted odd events that had happened around the world. When you had all of these, you sent these thin sheets off and got back a properly printed flip book of the facts all nicely illustrated. From this you can see you had to be a completist in order to get the booklet at the end. One missing and it was no book!! So, I had to find the lot, which I did. Sadly, I can't find the booklet any more, but I'm sure this and the Brooke Bond experience are the reasons for my completism. Am I psychologically scarred? Can I sue for damages do you think? It might give me some cash for coins. :D

• Like 1

Dave, every collector should frame that. LOL. Let's face it, it's a nurdy hobby/obsession. But then so is soccer.

By the way anybody collect 'flags of the world' or 'American civil war cards' when they were a kid?

M

I do remember those American Civil War cards! There was a bit of a fuss about them as I remember - rather a lot featured soldiers with blood pouring from open wounds. PG-rated stuff by today's standards. Wasn't there also a 'War Of The Worlds' series equally as "scary"?

Peck,

That's it. I had complete sets. Bought bubble gum and three cards from memory. Swapped them with m8's, had several sets. Now worth 100's of £'s. Even the wrappers are worth a few bob.

Afraid I don't have any now. Gone the way of my superman comics. Also worth money now.

Mark

Unfortunately, I'm a completist, at least as far as dates go. I think it goes back to when I was a child and I used to collect Brooke Bond Tea cards. The aim was always to get the set and stick them all in the album, and an album with one missing was a no-no for me. It's the same with coins. I need to complete the date runs, even if they aren't all in top condition. Some, of course almost never will be. For instance my 1854 sixpence is fine at best as is my 1893 Jub Head one. The likelihood of finding, let alone affording a EF one of either is quite low, and so I have to accept lower grades to fill that itchy gap.

Of course, it does make for mixed grades in a series, but in some ways that can be instructive as it does show the effects of wear if I have pretty much all grades represented. The real problems come with the rarities. I don't yet have a 1841 halfcrown, and so I'm interested in the one mentioned on another thread on here. It will cost me though if I can secure it through an auction, but its the only way to fill that gap. I managed an 1839 halfcrown a while ago. It's absolutely horrible, but still cost a fair sum, but more importantly it filled one more gap. Similarly, I've just bought a 1703 plain halfcrown in around VF for £1850. Pricey enough for me, but it does finish my date run of Queen Anne halfcrowns. Completism can be a bit of an obsession!!!

An 1893 JH sixpence graded 'EF or better' sold at DNW on 18th September 2013 for £2,500. At the time it was outside my price range. Had it been this last sale I would have probably bought it. The last 1854 'EF" at DNW was September of 2009 when it sold for £1,900. I think that when these rarities come around you just have to go for it. Finances permitting of course.

Unfortunately, I'm a completist, at least as far as dates go. I think it goes back to when I was a child and I used to collect Brooke Bond Tea cards. The aim was always to get the set and stick them all in the album, and an album with one missing was a no-no for me. It's the same with coins. I need to complete the date runs, even if they aren't all in top condition. Some, of course almost never will be. For instance my 1854 sixpence is fine at best as is my 1893 Jub Head one. The likelihood of finding, let alone affording a EF one of either is quite low, and so I have to accept lower grades to fill that itchy gap.

Of course, it does make for mixed grades in a series, but in some ways that can be instructive as it does show the effects of wear if I have pretty much all grades represented. The real problems come with the rarities. I don't yet have a 1841 halfcrown, and so I'm interested in the one mentioned on another thread on here. It will cost me though if I can secure it through an auction, but its the only way to fill that gap. I managed an 1839 halfcrown a while ago. It's absolutely horrible, but still cost a fair sum, but more importantly it filled one more gap. Similarly, I've just bought a 1703 plain halfcrown in around VF for £1850. Pricey enough for me, but it does finish my date run of Queen Anne halfcrowns. Completism can be a bit of an obsession!!!

An 1893 JH sixpence graded 'EF or better' sold at DNW on 18th September 2013 for £2,500. At the time it was outside my price range. Had it been this last sale I would have probably bought it. The last 1854 'EF" at DNW was September of 2009 when it sold for £1,900. I think that when these rarities come around you just have to go for it. Finances permitting of course.

The operative phrase is 'Finances permitting of course.' And the problem is the sheer number of coins that would require this level of expenditure. That becomes prohibitive and so I have to decide where I'd prefer to spend. Would I like to upgrade my fine condition rare date sixpences, or do I buy a new coin altogether to fill a gap? With my most recent purchase, I'd rather have the 1703 plain halfcrown for £1850, than update a rare date, but ultimately relatively boring coin such as a Victorian sixpence.

M

I do remember those American Civil War cards! There was a bit of a fuss about them as I remember - rather a lot featured soldiers with blood pouring from open wounds. PG-rated stuff by today's standards. Wasn't there also a 'War Of The Worlds' series equally as "scary"?

Did the Civil War packets also include repro and/or fantasy banknotes of the period too? I collected the Batman, Captain Scarlet, Tarzan, footballers too. Also; the cards which came with tea such as 'Trees of Britain', 'Kings and Queens' etc.

M

Did the Civil War packets also include repro and/or fantasy banknotes of the period too? I collected the Batman, Captain Scarlet, Tarzan, footballers too. Also; the cards which came with tea such as 'Trees of Britain', 'Kings and Queens' etc.

Yeah, you're right - I'd forgotten all about those! They were pretty small as I remember (probably folded once to fit into the wrapper?) and could not be confused with any kind of genuine banknote. I seem to remember we wanted the high-value notes, which were of course much less common than the low-value ones.

The operative phrase is 'Finances permitting of course.' And the problem is the sheer number of coins that would require this level of expenditure. That becomes prohibitive and so I have to decide where I'd prefer to spend. Would I like to upgrade my fine condition rare date sixpences, or do I buy a new coin altogether to fill a gap? With my most recent purchase, I'd rather have the 1703 plain halfcrown for £1850, than update a rare date, but ultimately relatively boring coin such as a Victorian sixpence.

Nothing boring about Victorian sixpences :angry::P

Oh well,I love the Victorian sixpences, but will confess in my turn to them being a bit boring. I liked that 1854 in the Cheshire sale that was under graded IMO, and the same year shilling on sale at that time as well for that matter.

There certainly is some enjoyment in "completing" a series, but a bit sad as well with no more important bits to collect or only those with stratospheric prices left.....