British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the scarcer of the two 1964 sixpence which I haven't been able to find again. I believe someone was looking for one. Anyway here is one on the bay, a bit knocked about but I'm sure would fill a gap for a while.

Davies 2502

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the scarcer of the two 1964 sixpence which I haven't been able to find again. I believe someone was looking for one. Anyway here is one on the bay, a bit knocked about but I'm sure would fill a gap for a while.

Davies 2502

Oooh. Much as I need one of those, I couldn't live with that...

Davies 2502

Oooh. Much as I need one of those, I couldn't live with that...

I suspect it won't look so bad in the hand, maybe a long time before another turns up, or maybe tomorrow. :blink:

Well, how about that, I just scored 4 of the scarce 1964 sixpences...

How did you manage to do that?

Well...

I won that one that Gary highlighted for us right at the beginning of the thread, and the seller contacted me and said he'd found some more 1964s and would I prefer that he send me one of them, that weren't damaged. Not likely, says I, and explained to him why I wanted the beaten up one in the photo, and why no other would do. Well, I'd better go and check the others, says he, and comes back saying he's found 3 of the scarce ones, decent circulated. I'll have 'em, says I, and I'll give you a fiver each for 'em. A little dazzled by my spectacular offer, perhaps, he agrees, and they arrived today. VF, gVF, and nEF. He didn't find any 1965 scarce though.

What else is good to look for, he asks? So I tell him about 1962 halfcrowns, and he says he has found 6 x D.2330, and 4 x D.2331. So I got a D.2330 off him too. Not quite VF, but it'll plug the gap till I find better. Now of course, he's trying to get silly money on eBay for the halfcrowns - he put a set of all 4 1962 Davies numbers on, all low grade, starting price £25. No takers obviously. I did tell him that the number of people who collect micros is so tiny, particularly in low grade, that he'd be lucky to sell them at all, but would he listen?

If anyone wants the battered one in Gary's link that started it all off, I'm happy to send it to them for nothing, now I've got 4 of 'em. Scott?

Well...

I won that one that Gary highlighted for us right at the beginning of the thread, and the seller contacted me and said he'd found some more 1964s and would I prefer that he send me one of them, that weren't damaged. Not likely, says I, and explained to him why I wanted the beaten up one in the photo, and why no other would do. Well, I'd better go and check the others, says he, and comes back saying he's found 3 of the scarce ones, decent circulated. I'll have 'em, says I, and I'll give you a fiver each for 'em. A little dazzled by my spectacular offer, perhaps, he agrees, and they arrived today. VF, gVF, and nEF. He didn't find any 1965 scarce though.

What else is good to look for, he asks? So I tell him about 1962 halfcrowns, and he says he has found 6 x D.2330, and 4 x D.2331. So I got a D.2330 off him too. Not quite VF, but it'll plug the gap till I find better. Now of course, he's trying to get silly money on eBay for the halfcrowns - he put a set of all 4 1962 Davies numbers on, all low grade, starting price £25. No takers obviously. I did tell him that the number of people who collect micros is so tiny, particularly in low grade, that he'd be lucky to sell them at all, but would he listen?

If anyone wants the battered one in Gary's link that started it all off, I'm happy to send it to them for nothing, now I've got 4 of 'em. Scott?

A definite result :)

A definite result :)

I'll say. Always worth striking up conversation with people, I find. They're all gagging for good information, and for those of us who haven't got pots of money, information is barterable. He sent me the D.2330 for nothing as a thank you for the advice. B)

Well...

Not the bashed one, but I'm happy to buy one of the other 2 spares you have. :)

I'll say. Always worth striking up conversation with people, I find. They're all gagging for good information, and for those of us who haven't got pots of money, information is barterable. He sent me the D.2330 for nothing as a thank you for the advice. B)

P.S. I always tell 'em about Dave Groom's books...the more people start looking for micros, the more collectable they'll become. One of the great things about this market is that it doesn't take too many of us to influence it.

I have Dave's books now - although they are still sat in my room unopened as they are meant to be a Christmas present. B) Come 25th I'll be educating myself too!

yea thanks for outbidding me on that... i wanted to look at the differance myself :(

yea thanks for outbidding me on that... i wanted to look at the differance myself :(

That's why I thought of you, Scott - it's yours if you want it!

Brilliant :D

I do my Ebay searches on a regular basis for my varieties.

If someone can find 4 examples in a casual search albeit at a specific location, a little patience should be rewarded with a decent example. The biggest obstacle may well be that it typically isn't worth listing a 1964 or 1965 sixpence.

If someone can find 4 examples in a casual search albeit at a specific location, a little patience should be rewarded with a decent example. The biggest obstacle may well be that it typically isn't worth listing a 1964 or 1965 sixpence.

absolutely right, Rob, and I can't be doing with looking at every 1964 that gets listed, so I had to snap these up, if only for the time it saves. I charge £10 an hour to my gardening clients, so after 90 mins looking for those varieties, I've broken even!

Now all I need to do is to mock up some of them tricky 65s...

i would if i knew what one looked like, i can snap up varietes easily when i know they are there :D

yea i'm still interested in it.

absolutely right, Rob, and I can't be doing with looking at every 1964 that gets listed, so I had to snap these up, if only for the time it saves. I charge £10 an hour to my gardening clients, so after 90 mins looking for those varieties, I've broken even!

Now all I need to do is to mock up some of them tricky 65s...

Never seen a 65 yet apart from the one I've got. The biggest problem with ebay sellers is if they know they are only going to make 99p they only show one side, usually not the important one.

Never seen a 65 yet apart from the one I've got. The biggest problem with ebay sellers is if they know they are only going to make 99p they only show one side, usually not the important one.

True for most Edward and George V pennies too

Hell, ive seen this post a whil 

I have a 1964 three pence silver. The error i believe would be the missing eyebrows. Also got a 1965 but havent really paid attention to look at the scarcity of it. I have been gathering british coin for three years now. The rarest ive acquired was set in a picture frame i got from an estate sale with a 1 pound note. Please contact me if it meets your interest in these collections i have of britania coinery

3 hours ago, Coin$idenc3 said:

Hell, ive seen this post a whil 

I have a 1964 three pence silver. The error i believe would be the missing eyebrows. Also got a 1965 but havent really paid attention to look at the scarcity of it. I have been gathering british coin for three years now. The rarest ive acquired was set in a picture frame i got from an estate sale with a 1 pound note. Please contact me if it meets your interest in these collections i have of britania coinery

Are you quite sure you have a 1964 silver three pence? :huh:

2 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Maundy?

I thought that, but it is an odd thing for a casual person to have loose. There aren't that many singles of E2 maundy floating around.