British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

seuk

Six Pence 1787 stop between ET in T.ET.E

I've mentioned this earlier on the coinsgbforum - not sure how much unrecorded it is as I don't have much litterature...

post-6657-038836400 1304386368_thumb.jpg

As one can see the stop between ET is clear while the one between TE is weak.

I found it with two different obverses and it seems fairly common

post-6657-089081400 1304386790_thumb.jpg

post-6657-009086900 1304386817_thumb.jpg

Just got a much better copy with the second obverse die :)

post-6657-067992700 1305405598_thumb.jpg

It transpires that I've got one of these too from the same reverse die, but it may be an earlier strike than yours. You can see the die is getting progressively blocked. On my coin, the legend at 9 o'clock is already blocked on the H & R, but the shield at 12 o'clock is not as blocked as yours on the lower grade piece which has only half of the line around the rampant lion remaining. The weak stop between T & E also appears to be a bit stronger. Having said that, even in the hand, my coin shows the shield up or not depending on the angle of illumination, so it is difficult to say definitively which is the earliest strike of the 3.

post-381-040997900 1306851509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

I think the obverse die of mine may also be different. It's difficult to say though as the image of your better one is a bit small on my screen.

post-381-059001100 1306852668_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

I think the obverse die of mine may also be different. It's difficult to say though as the image of your better one is a bit small on my screen.

It's very close but looks slighly different than my 'first' obverse

post-6657-015821500 1307039413_thumb.jpg

It's very close but looks slighly different than my 'first' obverse

post-6657-015821500 1307039413_thumb.jpg

I think this is normal for the series. I have a 1787 shilling where that particular stop is MUCH smaller than the ones on either side.

I think this is normal for the series. I have a 1787 shilling where that particular stop is MUCH smaller than the ones on either side.

It's not uncommon with missing or tiny stops due to metal fillings (die block). But are you saying that you have a shilling with stop between ET like this Sixpence?

I have 30 different reverse dies of the shilling, none of these have a stop between ET

It's not uncommon with missing or tiny stops due to metal fillings (die block). But are you saying that you have a shilling with stop between ET like this Sixpence?

I have 30 different reverse dies of the shilling, none of these have a stop between ET

I'll have to have a look. Never studied my 1787s that close.