British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

A Gothic Florin reverse full brockage error. I have seen a few Vicky brockage pennys and halfpennies, but never a florin brockage before.

My British error collection is growing nicely. :)

Gothic%20Florin%20Brockage%201.JPG

That's a very rare thing!

Can you email me a good size picture of it. It's looking like I'll be including some info on errors in the next CCGB. Love to use that picture, as I only have obverse brockage pictures so far.

The only brockage I have is an obverse of a fake GIII halfpenny.

Can you email me a good size picture of it. It's looking like I'll be including some info on errors in the next CCGB. Love to use that picture, as I only have obverse brockage pictures so far.

Will do.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the definition of a brockage?

Peter

A good example of unchecked information. The Wikipedia entry says "In Coin collecting, brockage refers to a type of error coin in which a side of the coin has both the normal image and a mirror image of the opposite side impressed on it. This is caused by an already minted coin sticking to a die and impressing onto another coin." It should of course read "the coin has both the normal image and a mirror image on the opposite side". Only one letter out, but gives a totally different meaning.

The lack of prior peer review for entries in Wikipedia is its main failing in my view as it means you can't rely on the information given and need to cross-reference any stated facts to ensure factual accuracy. However, it is still better than nothing. This is why Wikipedia is not and should not be acceptable as a reference source for academic papers and is a prime example of a little knowledge can be dangerous. It is however an improvement on the frequent ebay listings of clipped flans which are described as brockages.

Yes, Rob is quite correct. It should be noted that on the British side of "the Pond", brockage generally refers to breakage of flan whereas on the American side a brockage would be as Hussolo's coin. I might add that I have an essentially identical piece.

Sure would like to have an obverse brockage of this florin!

This does broach the subject of Internet derived information, as some of it is very good and it ranges to rather poor. So reader beware!

It should be noted that on the British side of "the Pond", brockage generally refers to breakage of flan whereas on the American side a brockage would be as Hussolo's coin.

This does broach the subject of Internet derived information, as some of it is very good and it ranges to rather poor. So reader beware!

I wasn't aware of any informed collector ever using brockage for flan splits or clipping. Everyone I know has always used the word in the same way in all English speaking countries. I've always assumed the clipped flan "brockages" listed on ebay were a result of either illiteracy or the uninformed copying the uninformed.

Edited by Rob

Its better experts discuss the meaning of brockage that they may arrived in conclusion and add it to predecimal dictionary so we amateur can learn :)

Hi Chris,

Show us your brockage! Does it have a spiked chin?

Teg

Yes, it does actually. Here's a not very good scan.

post-1-1178817692_thumb.jpg

I always found that this visual explanation was worth a look.

Brockages

Nice brockage examples by the way!!! very unusual to see a reverse brockage, I don't know whether there is a reason for this (i.e. whether the obverse die was always at the bottom of the press), perhaps someone else better informed can enlighten us.

Ah, different to my spiky chin.

Yours is I believe a version of this - later die state perhaps:-

post-542-1178821373_thumb.jpg

Small world.

(from Clem. Schettino's CD - his coin)

teg

Maybe there is a new ebay "Ebaypedia" as there is where I got the alternative and incorrect bit about English versions, but I do seem to recall seeing a printed auction with the same; you would think it easier to say "clip"...

post-544-1178889058_thumb.jpg

post-544-1178889078_thumb.jpg

post-544-1178889058_thumb.jpg

post-544-1178889078_thumb.jpg

We clearly need some systematic approach to naming so that people are not mislead. Everyone I know would call this an obverse brockage. Do we have yet another example of two cultures separated by a common language here?

Edited by Rob

Yes, Rob is quite correct. It should be noted that on the British side of "the Pond", brockage generally refers to breakage of flan whereas on the American side a brockage would be as Hussolo's coin. I might add that I have an essentially identical piece.

Sure would like to have an obverse brockage of this florin!

No sooner said then done! :) Here is an Obverse example.

http://web.infoave.net/~bsnyder/1853_Gothic_florin_ob.jpg

A larger picture, and another Florin image, are to be found in my Gallery section called "Gothic Florin errors."

P.S. - I just can't seem to remember how to include an image in the message. Sorry about that :( )!

How is Ken's a REVERSE brockage as clearly the Vicky bust marks the obverse?

Wonderful 1853 brockage florin!

Superb brockage Ken.

Very nice brockage Ch2toWm4. You have a couple of great gothic florin errors there.

It's funny how I hadn't come across a gothic florin error before, and now there are new examples surfacing.

Good stuff thanks for sharing guys. :)