Coinery Posted Tuesday at 11:34 PM Posted Tuesday at 11:34 PM In this example the letters, especially the W & A, and also the obverse legend is wrong for starters! Maybe a Class 5-style pellet on chest, not sure? I don’t have the coin in-hand, yet, but would probably be looking to sell it anyway. Can anyone share some insight into it? I know very little about the continental imitations themselves? 1 Quote
Coinery Posted Tuesday at 11:38 PM Author Posted Tuesday at 11:38 PM (edited) Or is it simply a class 9 legend error? It does look as though that rust has gone right through the flan? Edited Tuesday at 11:42 PM by Coinery Quote
Citizen H Posted 17 hours ago Posted 17 hours ago Sorry I cant help, However..... interesting find....I will be waiting for the others to chip in with assistance 👍 1 Quote
Coinery Posted 16 hours ago Author Posted 16 hours ago I may have jumped the gun, labelling this an imitation sterling! I’ve since discovered there’s actually a known class 9a coin with an ANL error and pellet on the breast, which is footnoted as extremely rare. I’d need to get a look at it in-hand…I’d be hoping that the S is top-tilted (it currently looks like it could be a mix of serifs)! We’ll see 3 Quote
Ukstu Posted 14 hours ago Posted 14 hours ago On 10/7/2026 at 12:38 AM, Coinery said: Or is it simply a class 9 legend error? It does look as though that rust has gone right through the flan? It has a bit but its only a minuscule hole i think. It's looking promising for that rare one though Fingers crossed 🤞 Stu. 2 Quote
Coys55 Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago 13 hours ago, Coinery said: I may have jumped the gun, labelling this an imitation sterling! I’ve since discovered there’s actually a known class 9a coin with an ANL error and pellet on the breast, which is footnoted as extremely rare. I’d need to get a look at it in-hand…I’d be hoping that the S is top-tilted (it currently looks like it could be a mix of serifs)! We’ll see Yes, the Galata Guide has a 9a2 with the ANL error. I'm not 100% sure that is a pellet on the breast though, rather than just a slightly outsized pellet in the beading. The S on the reverse is badly worn, but the one on the obverse does look top-tilted to me. My opinion is that it's a 9a2 rather than an imitation sterling, but I have to admit that I'm not an expert on either series. Surprisingly (to me) though I've just counted 45 long cross in my collection. Only one sterling though. 2 Quote
Coinery Posted 37 minutes ago Author Posted 37 minutes ago 2 hours ago, Coys55 said: Yes, the Galata Guide has a 9a2 with the ANL error. I'm not 100% sure that is a pellet on the breast though, rather than just a slightly outsized pellet in the beading. The S on the reverse is badly worn, but the one on the obverse does look top-tilted to me. My opinion is that it's a 9a2 rather than an imitation sterling, but I have to admit that I'm not an expert on either series. Surprisingly (to me) though I've just counted 45 long cross in my collection. Only one sterling though. Many thanks for your thoughts, Coys, much appreciated! You may be absolutely right on all counts…it would be easy to see how just the slightest flattening of that bead/pellet could convince anyone that it is indeed a pellet! The jury is out for me at the moment. The little fishtail serifs on the reverse S do suggest to me that we’d be looking at a mule if the obverse S is top-tilted? There are a few different possibilities in the SCBI 39, and the coin should be in-hand shortly to verify. It was a throwaway coin in a small bulk lot, so the pictures are not great. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.