British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
kuhli

2000 £1 coin

I have read and learned from Sylvester (where is he??) that there are a large number of counterfeit £1 coins in circulation over there. Yesterday, I received a 2000 coin from a friend in the Netherlands, and it just doesn't look right. The fields are not smooth, but have small dimples everywhere, it looks like it was cast, or else sand-blasted. What do you think??

2000-pound.JPG

2000-pound-2.JPG

Notice the die crack from the "D" to the edge. There is also a die crack from the second "E" (of Elizabeth) to the edge.

When I first joined the forum at the end of last year, Sylvester put me straight about a fake £l. which I

had. Since then I have looked more closely at ALL my change !!! Consequently have come across three

other obvious fake £l's. Where do they all come from ?? Mine I have found are different year dates -

very clever.

I know for a fact that a number of fake £1 coins have been doing the rounds in Northern Ireland.. I have an article somewhere I'll try to dig out

That coin looks fairly undefined too, on top of the other things mentioned. I'd bet a pound to a penny that it's a fake.

From the second picture, the edge inscription looks ok though...but yes, the other points are convinsing.

Now they are visible.... it must be the first die crack I have seen in an English coin. I may have had some in my hands, I will never know, but never seen it before.

The things I have noticed, and now look for, are

• Obvious mistakes like wrong reverse for year or incorrect edge inscription.
  • Sometimes the letters in the legend and date are in a different style.
  • General softness to the design and a matt sheen.
  • Weak edge lettering and non-central separator.

Apparently some have gold paint wearing off too!

But remember that the pound coins are quite soft anyway, so well circulated genuine ones look very beaten up. I remeber bashing two together when they came out and being disappointed that it left an obvious mark.

I only have one fake, one of the Scottish variety, it is an obvious fake.

How many of these as a percentage of circulation are there?

Mark has described the ones I have. What I noticed was the gold painted one is a little bit heavier as well.

A couple of £1 coins came into my hands looking fake, but as was mentioned, they just seemed very weak and

worn, although not very old. I did give them a good study with my amatuer eyes !!

These £l coins won't be around for many years at that rate, will they ?

How many of these as a percentage of circulation are there?

The counterfeit coin club webpage suggests 1% of £1 coins are fake which, considering how common they are is quite a number. This one is in lead and gold paint and no, I doubt it would have lasted much longer if I hadn't taken it 'out' of circulation.

Leadcounterfeit1.jpg