British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mynki

Mynki's purchase thread

Yes, that's the one. I don't suppose you have any info on said collection do you?

Did a deal for the pair (I think my haggling skills are ok?). :D

Tried taking pictures earlier but not enough natural sunlight and with the flash they look washed out.

16 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Yes, that's the one. I don't suppose you have any info on said collection do you?

Did a deal for the pair (I think my haggling skills are ok?). :D

Tried taking pictures earlier but not enough natural sunlight and with the flash they look washed out.

Here's some responses to the same question on the CoinsGB Forum back in 2007:

http://www.coinsgbforum.com/?showtopic=162

I would imagine that's the same 'Rob' as we know on here! :)

• Like 1

Yes. Correct. Everyone was at Wakefield today it seems, Mynki, me, even Mr Cheshire. Surprisingly busy given York was only a fortnight ago.

Edited by Rob

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:08 PM, Rob said:

Yes. Correct. Everyone was at Wakefield today it seems, Mynki, me, even Mr Cheshire. Surprisingly busy given York was only a fortnight ago.

I wondered if you'd be there Rob. I did look for an RP Coins sign, but didn't see one.

From what I understand the Cheshire Collection was auctioned on June 1st 2005 in the US by Goldberg Coins. Unfortunately I don't appear to be able to view individual lots. Is anyone on here able to see these? I've just registered but am still waiting for an email.

Paulus, thanks for the link.

12 minutes ago, Mynki said:

I wondered if you'd be there Rob. I did look for an RP Coins sign, but didn't see one.

From what I understand the Cheshire Collection was auctioned on June 1st 2005 in the US by Goldberg Coins. Unfortunately I don't appear to be able to view individual lots. Is anyone on here able to see these? I've just registered but am still waiting for an email.

Paulus, thanks for the link.

I was in my usual place. In the middle of the cross aisle with me facing the entrance. Can't get me wrong as the guy on my left is shorter and fatter, whilst the one on my right is shorter and thinner. I'm the large hairy object in the middle.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rob said:

I was in my usual place. In the middle of the cross aisle with me facing the entrance. Can't get me wrong as the guy on my left is shorter and fatter, whilst the one on my right is shorter and thinner. I'm the large hairy object in the middle.

I'll have to introduce myself next time.  :)

OK, so here's the 1845 shilling ex Cheshire collection that I picked up. The pictures were taken on a windowsill using just natural light. In hand the coin looks much darker.

1845%20Shilling%20Obverse.jpg

1845%20Shilling%20Reverse.jpg

• Like 1

The 1888 inverted 1 double florin. Though I've read recently that the 'inverted 1' is in fact a damaged 'I'. Under the loupe there appears to be some minute red fibres on the coin. Not overly happy with these pictures. They don't show the level of detail the coin has in hand. In particular on the reverse, there is more detail in the lions faces and the St George cross in the middle is more recessed than appears on the image. Anyway, both will be sent to CGS in due course.

1888%20inverted%20I%20Double%20Florin%20

Lot 2780 NGC Graded MS-64 - Est $350-400 

9 hours ago, Mynki said:

The 1888 inverted 1 double florin. Though I've read recently that the 'inverted 1' is in fact a damaged 'I'. Under the loupe there appears to be some minute red fibres on the coin. Not overly happy with these pictures. They don't show the level of detail the coin has in hand. In particular on the reverse, there is more detail in the lions faces and the St George cross in the middle is more recessed than appears on the image. Anyway, both will be sent to CGS in due course.

Nice coins!!

The inverted 1 is now believed to be due to a filled die rather than a broken punch. The new ESC has very nice photos showing coins with full left  bottom serif (normal), trace of lower left serif (partially filled die) and no lower left serif (completely filled or "inverted 1")

I have brought a rather nice 1888 double florin recently but it is a normal variety as I didn't want to pay extra for the inverted 1.