British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mynki

Sorry to bore you all again - grading

Coin is Ef / A unc  loads and loads of marks on the obverse leave the coin well off unc or even a/unc

10 hours ago, Mynki said:

OK, first of all I don't own this coin, but I did take the pics. The red marks appear to be miniscule fibres. At the Wakefield coin fair, one of the official CGS grading chaps had a look and offered his unofficial opinion on grade, I have to stress he did say it needed to be scored by three graders and so this was only his opinion. Anyone care to guess the magic number he suggested?

1858%20Shilling%20obverse.jpg

1858%20Shilling%20reverse.jpg

Really interested as most on here are not CGS............ Boooooooooooooooooo 

Anyway he is a nice guy that looked at your coin and gave you his opinion.

What did he say ?.

He was a thoroughly nice chap.

He stated 78 or 80 on a good day...

It's not my coin and won't be in the future. :D

Dont really understand the reason for the post then :huh:

If you thought it was less should of bought it and give it him.

Sounds a good earner ;)

3 hours ago, Mynki said:

He was a thoroughly nice chap.

He stated 78 or 80 on a good day...

It's not my coin and won't be in the future. :D

Sorry to be dense, but how can a representative of a TPG, a business whose stated mission is to grade coins correctly and consistently in order to give the collector reassurance, then tell you the grade will depend on how good a day it is? I've no problem with Steve, Paul or Semra, but this contradicts their alleged business objectives.

Rob your far from dense and i appreciate your knowledge and learning from you.

What he has said is ........... Subject to what Mynki relays ....... i will have  a quick look ..... something he did not have to do.

Without looking properley 78 - 80.........  ?.

If one grader and i am sure you know all three says 70 then unless a bigger difference than ten the lowest grade is attributed.

It was not Paul.............Think ( grader ) he meant on a good day (best for Mynki) thats what he might get.

I have submitted a lot of coins and one grader will be different than another.....thats why you get three opinions.

Its no different than on here ,they look at two hundred + coins a week they are never all going to say E.G. 75 

But unless a big difference (more than ten) they will confer and give reasons why the coin may be attributed higher.

I would like to know rob as always learning....What would you grade the coin mentioned please ?.

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Sorry to be dense, but how can a representative of a TPG, a business whose stated mission is to grade coins correctly and consistently in order to give the collector reassurance, then tell you the grade will depend on how good a day it is? I've no problem with Steve, Paul or Semra, but this contradicts their alleged business objectives.

Not being dense. There is a story to this, but it's not really suitable for a public forum. None of the three people you mention were involved. The chap who examined the coin just gave it a once over and then gave his opinion. To be fair he then explained how and why they grade at length and explained that for an accurate score to be given he'd need to consult "the computer" and also have it assesed by two of his peers. I hope that makes sense? :) 

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I would like to know rob as always learning....What would you grade the coin mentioned please ?.

The obverse looks uncirculated, or very close to depending on what the tops of the hair strands above the ear and on the bun look like under a glass. The reverse is too bright to say, but is probably similar. You need to see things in hand to make a reasoned assessment.

4 hours ago, Rob said:

The obverse looks uncirculated, or very close to depending on what the tops of the hair strands above the ear and on the bun look like under a glass. The reverse is too bright to say, but is probably similar. You need to see things in hand to make a reasoned assessment.

Thank Rob.

I wasnt sure after the other opinion on grade.