British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Greaves

1920 Penny

A Freeman 189 1920 penny, where the colon after the IMP points to a tooth is exceptionally rare. Does it have to point to the centre of the tooth or does the edge of the tooth count? Mike

sory mean : colon dots to a tooth

The : points pretty much directly to the centre of the tooth. If yours points more or less to the edge of the tooth then it's the common 2+B variety.

Apologies if I was not clear. My query relates to a penny I have just bought, but not yet received. The colon dots appear not to point to a gap between teeth neither to the exact centre of a tooth but just off centre of the tooth. It is clearly different to all other 1920 pennies I have seen where the colon dots clearly point to a gap.

Apologies if I was not clear. My query relates to a penny I have just bought, but not yet received. The colon dots appear not to point to a gap between teeth neither to the exact centre of a tooth but just off centre of the tooth. It is clearly different to all other 1920 pennies I have seen where the colon dots clearly point to a gap.

You're getting confused. The two obverses for 1920 are :

1. the common regular issue, as from 1913 - 1921 (all but one or two 1920s are this)

2. the shallow head design (Freeman 189), which you can see on half the 1921s, all the 1922s and the non-ME 1926s. It's akin to the 'recut obverse' used on the larger silver from 1920-1926, and yes, it does have different pointings, but many other differences such as overall size of the bust, style of lettering (serifs), shallow 'flat' look of portrait, etc. Needless to say, yours is NOT that one!

Thanks. Got the coin now, alas not a Freeman 189, but in excellent condition, probably UNC.

Thanks. Got the coin now, alas not a Freeman 189, but in excellent condition, probably UNC.

As there is only one known and it's British Museum your chances of finding one are pretty slim.

• Like 1