British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
sweep

1862 Penny? What Do You Think?

Hi I recently got kicked out of a coin forum and was suggested to go to a British one. So here I am.

Anyway I recently got a 1862 penny for £15, I will post pictures and I was wondering what you think?

In other news I am on the look out for a 1853 or pre 1853 young head penny however eBay seems to stock worn,

cleaned and very rarely 1840s dates. I was wondering if anyone knows of another online site which may stock coins

at a reasonable price? An alternative to this is me to check eBay every now and again and post a link to the coin here

so I can for help whether it has been cleaned, has verdigris or edge knocks etc. As I have no experience.

Would anyone mind me doing this?

Thanks

That's a bloody nice coin for £15.

My experience is that people on here are all too willing to help... if you post they will answer your questions..if they can't then you will normally be pointed in the right direction..

Welcome! :)

I don't know they were just saying go to a UK one as this is a US one etc, they were quite rude saying that I should educate myself more!

Added more photos.

post-8339-0-46965600-1398417900_thumb.jp

post-8339-0-64475800-1398417901_thumb.jp

Thanks I already prefer this forum and I have just joined! I would say this coin was uncirculated what would you say?

Hi I recently got kicked out of a coin forum and was suggested to go to a British one. So here I am.

Anyway I recently got a 1862 penny for £15, I will post pictures and I was wondering what you think?

In other news I am on the look out for a 1853 or pre 1853 young head penny however eBay seems to stock worn,

cleaned and very rarely 1840s dates. I was wondering if anyone knows of another online site which may stock coins

at a reasonable price? An alternative to this is me to check eBay every now and again and post a link to the coin here

so I can for help whether it has been cleaned, has verdigris or edge knocks etc. As I have no experience.

Thanks

I have a couple of 1853s and an 1851 but I couldn't do them for £15 ;-)

Thanks I already prefer this forum and I have just joined! I would say this coin was uncirculated what would you say?

It's not as easy to grade with the plastic covering giving off so much glare, but yes it looks UNC with a few carbon spots here and there..

I took some photos with the plastic off I will upload them and NRP I would be interested in 1853 or earlier date in EF+ I will pay up to £80.

Thanks

post-8339-0-75223700-1398418973_thumb.jp

Yeah looks to be aUNC/UNC. Carbon spot above Britannia's knee and an edge knock at 8 o'clock on the obverse but nothing that should bring that price down.

Do some double checking of the condition of the leaves in the wreath on Vicky, it's still hard to tell because of the glare but if they're worn then possibly EF+ or gEF. If not then I'd be happy with the above grade.

Good buy at £15 Sweep!

Good morning sweep. I hoped you'd find us! Lots of penny collectors here. In fact it's sometimes difficult to get people to talk about anything else!

It was me that suggested a British forum because I know there are several experts (even people who've written books about the things) here. So welcome and I hope you find it useful!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Thanks

I'd say very close to UNC, and an absolute bargain for £15!

We often help each other out with prospective purchases, so as long as you're not posting an eBay (or other) link every day, we'll be glad to help you out. :)

Thank you all I wreaths on Vicky are not worn I don't think I have uploaded a photo with the contrast and brightness altered to make the leaves stand out more. Plus pennies are the best! :)

post-8339-0-79015400-1398420869_thumb.jp

Nice 1862 worth a lot more than that ,!853 quiet common, maybe nrp would do one for £20.Only joking neil.

There is a link to 1862 variants here, I can only count 14 leaves and 3 berries? I hope it is the 15 leaves one!!!

Type in 1862 one penny detecting wales. For some reason I cannot post a link

That doesn't bring up anything specific.. Use this symbol to post links;

post-8244-0-67845600-1398422344_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11

He's just used Wiki to get those prices, they aren't normally too bad but take them with a pinch of salt.

If I was home I would check Freeman/Gouby for you, perhaps someone else who has their books to hand can quote you the prices and maybe even identify the die combination too!

He's just used Wiki to get those prices, they aren't normally too bad but take them with a pinch of salt.

If I was home I would check Freeman/Gouby for you, perhaps someone else who has their books to hand can quote you the prices and maybe even identify the die combination too!

I don't need Freeman - it's 6+G (the common type). But even so, it's a nice penny :)

I have been offered a coin by Declan. I think it is good and my first young head. There is a picture of it in my attachment.

The green in the ear isn't verdigris he says,

coin.doc

I have been offered a coin by Declan. I think it is good and my first young head. There is a picture of it in my attachment.

The green in the ear isn't verdigris he says,

That's a very nice example :)

amazing what £15 can get you.

:lol:

(Sorry. Sorry. Couldn't resist..)