British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

MACKSILKY.

2009 20P Coin, Has The Queen Really Got A Boil?

Yes it might if unusual, but no it wouldn't on the grounds that quality control at the mint is not very good. Having said that, if they are trying to get the mximum life out of a pair of dies, they are maintaining a long tradition. Historically, dies have always been used until they disintegrated, it is just that you see more cracked rather than pitted die.

The Mint quality control, as Rob says, is pitiful these days. But then, so is the circulating coinage as a percentage of the money supply.

There's a technical term for these extraneous lumps of metal attached to modern coins but for the life of me I cannot remember what it is.

Cud?

That's what seems to fill the Bay while I'm looking at error coins :angry:

Edited by Nordle11

A cud is where a piece of extraneous metal has been incorporated into the flan. This is due to disintegration of the die surface leading to pitting.

Nah, it is rather a more accurate representation of a then 83 year old monarch.

The Mint quality control, as Rob says, is pitiful these days. But then, so is the circulating coinage as a percentage of the money supply.

There's a technical term for these extraneous lumps of metal attached to modern coins but for the life of me I cannot remember what it is.

A cud is where a piece of extraneous metal has been incorporated into the flan. This is due to disintegration of the die surface leading to pitting.

:ph34r:

Just reread this and obviously hadn't read Nordle's reply in relation to Peck's. Nordle is right. My reply was directed at the previous posts. This referred to the OP which is a pit on the die. Cuds are usually flat and featureless.

Just reread this and obviously hadn't read Nordle's reply in relation to Peck's. Nordle is right. My reply was directed at the previous posts. This referred to the OP which is a pit on the die. Cuds are usually flat and featureless.

The only interesting cud I've seen is one positioned under Queenie's nose, makes it look like a huge blob of snot. I'd still not pay more than a quid or so for something like that though.

The only interesting cud I've seen is one positioned under Queenie's nose, makes it look like a huge blob of snot. I'd still not pay more than a quid or so for something like that though.

Chewing the cud? EUWWWWWWWWWWW :blink:

Would this round blob on this coin just be a one off or would there be x amount of these in circulation. And can any one tell me is this a similar fault to the 1897 o'ne penny flaw?

Any incorporated foreign object would be random, any die distress will have multiple examples.

Would this round blob on this coin just be a one off or would there be x amount of these in circulation. And can any one tell me is this a similar fault to the 1897 o'ne penny flaw?

Like Rob says, this is a random error but because of the poor quality control these aren't as infrequent as you might think. This also isn't confined to the 20p, all denominations would have errors such as this.

The 1897 o'ne penny flaw is different to a blob of metal attached to the coin, this is where the die itself has become damaged and when coins were struck the metal raised up into the damaged part of the die to create the dot.

It's interesting to know, as you can find examples of it (and the 1946 one' flaw) with a fairly small dot, and then others which are so obviously pronounced and have clearly been struck well after the die was damaged.

Matt

Like Rob says, this is a random error but because of the poor quality control these aren't as infrequent as you might think. This also isn't confined to the 20p, all denominations would have errors such as this.

The 1897 o'ne penny flaw is different to a blob of metal attached to the coin, this is where the die itself has become damaged and when coins were struck the metal raised up into the damaged part of the die to create the dot.

It's interesting to know, as you can find examples of it (and the 1946 one' flaw) with a fairly small dot, and then others which are so obviously pronounced and have clearly been struck well after the die was damaged.

Matt

The alternative point of view is that the 1897 dot was a deliberate die identifier, and the so-called 'progression' of it is in fact the reverse - the dot gradually filling in on the die as happened so often with colons in the copper series.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the great info, i know about the 20p piece dated 2012 with tear drops it has been named TEARS OF THE QUEEN. So can i name this coin THE QUEEN OF ALL BOILS, great show cheers jim, oh and let me know if anyone comes across the same coin as above :)

Hi all,

Been looking for information on this topic , I know there are collectors out there that collect this fault in the 20p coin. I have 45 random 20p coin faults with differant errors from boils,snot,turkey neck to mustache to cheek and mustache , all dated from1982 threw to 2013.. Some are hilarious.

Need to sell them.. Could anyone point me in a direction I could maximize there worth.

Can email pics when required.

Ebay probably. All these 'errors' are simply due to die damage from extended use, so not strictly errors as such and only worth a premium to very few people.

Thanks rob,

I am intrigued as to there worth , it's to my understanding that your Forum god...very pleased to meet you..

They have served me well, made me laugh , topic of conversation now for some body else. Would you suggest individual or group sales ?

AND who are those few...:-).

They are out there somewhere .

Thanks again

Your best bet is to test the market with one or two pieces before you list everything. I don't think selling through a dealer would realise much of a premium unless you could find one with a customer for them because they will be too cheap to generate much of a return.

If you do list on eBay, might be worth including the US site (for which pleasure you may have to pay extra) as it seems to me that error coins are a bit more popular that side of the Atlantic. And of course, good quality photos will be needed.

Be interesting to hear how you get on!

(Oh, shall I delete your other thread Tomo? This one seems busier and as it's appropriate to the topic ...)

Edited by TomGoodheart

Thankyou both, wasn't sure until I searched forum for right place to ask the question,

So will be in touch through this thread .

Rookie mistake :-). I will execute both instruction and publish 5 on eBay tomorrow afternoon

1 x knobbly knee (reverse)

1x turkey neck/ double chin ( obverse)

1x 4 toes or 5 on lions foot (reverse)

1x tear/ boil (obverse)

1x moustache/ snot!!(obverse)

They will all have a reasonable reserve.

Shame to split lot.

Nearly all 45 have if not 1 error on 1 side but both sides are effected .

Sorry don't want to flood forum with 90 photos and a list. But will spend the morning preparing a list / description and photos . For anyone to see.

Will exchange email on request.

They are worth a look.

USA was always an option I've been watching their forums ain't seen much information on (CUDS) blobs.

Might just open their eyes.

Again your information is appreciated .

Thankyou.

Will inform forum shortly of the outcome .

Thankyou both, wasn't sure until I searched forum for right place to ask the question,

So will be in touch through this thread .

Rookie mistake :-). I will execute both instruction and publish 5 on eBay tomorrow afternoon

1 x knobbly knee (reverse)

1x turkey neck/ double chin ( obverse)

1x 4 toes or 5 on lions foot (reverse)

1x tear/ boil (obverse)

1x moustache/ snot!!(obverse)

They will all have a reasonable reserve.

Shame to split lot.

Nearly all 45 have if not 1 error on 1 side but both sides are effected .

Sorry don't want to flood forum with 90 photos and a list. But will spend the morning preparing a list / description and photos . For anyone to see.

Will exchange email on request.

They are worth a look.

USA was always an option I've been watching their forums ain't seen much information on (CUDS) blobs.

Might just open their eyes.

Again your information is appreciated .

Thankyou.

Will inform forum shortly of the outcome .

Minimum reserve is £50 (or it was at one time)

I can't see them being worth any premium.

Dip the toe ....here and overseas .stranger things have happened.

Think it'll be a good exercise to test the water.Even If it means that other people learn something they didn't know already about the coins ,I'll be happy,

no body wants a stagnant pool,

Trial and Error..

If all else fails i have £9.00 of ugly 20's.

Thanks peter.

Dip the toe ....here and overseas .stranger things have happened.

Think it'll be a good exercise to test the water.Even If it means that other people learn something they didn't know already about the coins ,I'll be happy,

no body wants a stagnant pool,

Trial and Error.. Premium + would come in handy but..

If all else fails i have £9.00 of ugly 20's.

Thanks peter.

Good evening all, here are a few to browse over..

Your thoughts?

Still putting together photos and list.

post-8406-0-41470000-1405638129_thumb.jp

post-8406-0-33862700-1405638282_thumb.jp