British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DAVID O

GB TEN PENCE VARITIES

Argus Books was apparently the publisher of the 1992 Year Book whereas the 1988 was published by Numismatic Publishing

To clarify these are both listed as Coin Monthly authorship

Argus Books was apparently the publisher of the 1992 Year Book whereas the 1988 was published by Numismatic Publishing

To clarify these are both listed as Coin Monthly authorship

I keep meaning to put details on of the 10p varieties on the Rotographic website. I've got a very long list of them.

You could always upload the entire back catalogue and wait for the current owner to come to you! A bit risky I know...

You could always upload the entire back catalogue and wait for the current owner to come to you! A bit risky I know...

I could, but the issue is the sheer amount of work involved. The publication started in 1967 in November, and ran monthly at least until Feb 1992, with a period of 6 months when they issued twice per month. When you put that together its around 25 years of monthly issues. In the early days and in the later years, the page count was around 80, but when at its best, it ran to around 140 pages or so, maybe overall an average of 100 pages. Conservatively that means 25x12x100 = 30,000 scans, although I guess it might be half of that if pages were scanned in twos. Then there is all the cropping and aligning, plus design of the 'package' for the whole thing. My best guess is that its around 6 months work if performed on a continuous basis. To then have somebody come along and say 'you can't do that, take it down from a web site' would make all that work a complete waste, so for this reason, I'm not interested unless I can be reasured that there will be no comebacks.

I could, but the issue is the sheer amount of work involved. The publication started in 1967 in November, and ran monthly at least until Feb 1992, with a period of 6 months when they issued twice per month. When you put that together its around 25 years of monthly issues. In the early days and in the later years, the page count was around 80, but when at its best, it ran to around 140 pages or so, maybe overall an average of 100 pages. Conservatively that means 25x12x100 = 30,000 scans, although I guess it might be half of that if pages were scanned in twos. Then there is all the cropping and aligning, plus design of the 'package' for the whole thing. My best guess is that its around 6 months work if performed on a continuous basis. To then have somebody come along and say 'you can't do that, take it down from a web site' would make all that work a complete waste, so for this reason, I'm not interested unless I can be reasured that there will be no comebacks.

I've offered to scan the Ron Stafford article from 1979 (the big florin survey) but there haven't been any takers so far. It would only be around 8 scans but I'm not going to do it unless there is some interest.

I've offered to scan the Ron Stafford article from 1979 (the big florin survey) but there haven't been any takers so far. It would only be around 8 scans but I'm not going to do it unless there is some interest.

I'm interested. All of the articles I've seen so far have been great references, even if they aren't directly relevant to my collecting.

Quite right.I'm having too many senior moments. However, all it means is another 12 editions to scan, another 1000 pages :blink: ish!!

I'm interested. All of the articles I've seen so far have been great references, even if they aren't directly relevant to my collecting.

Then I'll do it! Before long...

me too, Peck - not so much for the decimal, but surveys of any predecimal are of interest to me.

Stop prevaricating oh green one and scan away, I would like to read them also

Mañana :)

look up ! no thanks pigeons do things in your eyes, but yeah tomorrow is another day.

Edited by Gollum

look up ! no thanks pigeons do things in your eyes, but yeah tomorrow is another day.

To the Latins, it's always "tomorrow", especially if the missus needs a job doing :D

To the Latins, it's always "tomorrow", especially if the missus needs a job doing :D

my wife has italian blood so I am buggered, she likes a fight and i like peace.

my wife has italian blood so I am buggered, she likes a fight and i like peace.

Garden or mushy? (© The Two Ronnies, 1975)

PUBLIC STATEMENT :

"The attached link is to a pdf that contains scans of two Coin Monthly articles by Ron Stafford, from the issues of that periodical dated FEBRUARY 1979, and 28 DEC-10 JAN 1980. I hereby acknowledge the intellectual ownership in these articles of Ron Stafford, and the publication copyright which at the time was held by The Numismatic Publishing Company, Essex which has since ceased to exist.

The scans were done and the uploads made, purely for the interest of members of the predecimal.com forum. This material must not be copied except for the private use of said members, nor may it be used by anyone for commercial purposes, or disseminated any more widely than the predecimal.com website.

Efforts have been made to trace the current copyright owners of this material but these have been unsuccessful. If the current copyright owners make representations that this scanned upload is a breach of copyright, the uploaded file will be taken down without delay or prejudice."

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k0ckgf6tybktc39/Ron Stafford florins survey.pdf

Note : the first long article contains a survey of 20,000 florins made by Ron Stafford during 1978, and the second short article is a follow-up survey in 1979.

Thank you oh wise one. Much appreciated.

Note : the first long article contains a survey of 20,000 florins made by Ron Stafford during 1978, and the second short article is a follow-up survey in 1979.

Thanks Peck. An interesting read.

Note also that Ron Stafford has identified the earlier obverse on 1923 florins even before Davies does.

Note also that Ron Stafford has identified the earlier obverse on 1923 florins even before Davies does.

Brilliant, thanks Peck

PUBLIC STATEMENT :

"The attached link is to a pdf that contains scans of two Coin Monthly articles by Ron Stafford, from the issues of that periodical dated FEBRUARY 1979, and 28 DEC-10 JAN 1980. I hereby acknowledge the intellectual ownership in these articles of Ron Stafford, and the publication copyright which at the time was held by The Numismatic Publishing Company, Essex which has since ceased to exist.

The scans were done and the uploads made, purely for the interest of members of the predecimal.com forum. This material must not be copied except for the private use of said members, nor may it be used by anyone for commercial purposes, or disseminated any more widely than the predecimal.com website.

Efforts have been made to trace the current copyright owners of this material but these have been unsuccessful. If the current copyright owners make representations that this scanned upload is a breach of copyright, the uploaded file will be taken down without delay or prejudice."

http://www.mediafire...gf6tybktc39/Ron Stafford florins survey.pdf

Hi at all!

Unfortunately that link does not work any more. Does anybody of you have a copy of that pdf, still? So, please share that one once again. This article seems to be very interesting and I would like to include the citation into the literature section of my documentation.

Many thanks!!

Christoph

PUBLIC STATEMENT :

Hi at all!

Unfortunately that link does not work any more. Does anybody of you have a copy of that pdf, still? So, please share that one once again. This article seems to be very interesting and I would like to include the citation into the literature section of my documentation.

Many thanks!!

Christoph

The link doesn't work for me either, and I was the one who uploaded it! And after a computer disaster in January I've lost a few months of data including the scans I made of the articles. My scanner doesn't work with my latest computer so I can't re-do them. So if anyone has kept their download I too would be very grateful.

PUBLIC STATEMENT :

Hi at all!

Many thanks!!

Christoph

The link doesn't work for me either, and I was the one who uploaded it! And after a computer disaster in January I've lost a few months of data including the scans I made of the articles. My scanner doesn't work with my latest computer so I can't re-do them. So if anyone has kept their download I too would be very grateful.

I lost my downloaded copy when my hard disk failed a few months back, so I can't help either.

Every week back up on your external hard drives boys....like I should of.....lost loads :(