British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gollum

I have a problem

My problem is that I absolutely love the proof sets and the way they shine, the depth of the strikes and the clarity of the coins, I see them and they make me go weak at the knees, but, I know I will have to lock them away or some thieving little git will have them of off me.

So, I thought I would also collect the run of the mill circulated sets that I can have at home to look at and drool over, and yet as much as I like the proof sets, i have to ask myself, are they "real" coins in the collecting sense, I mean proofs are ok but you buy them in sets, circulated ones whilst maybe grotty or knocked are life, they have a history, they have a story to them, they have mystery and in some cases the chase and allure of finding a rarer one is part of the fun, isnt it ?.

I see the wisdom in collecting those older coins, the silver and gold ones, they are in some cases rare and alluring, yet, I will have to lock them away like marley or scrooge and I want to get them out at home and feel them, look them over and all that makes the chase worthwile.

So, What do I do !. Chase one or the other, or both but the proofs in moderation. Ebay i hate you, it's like a kid in a candy shop, where to go, and where to stop.

Edited by Gollum

Garry, collect bottletops if you like, no-one here will say it's the wrong thing to collect!

A surprising number of people even collect commemorative crowns...

Just don't collect fake gold shiny bars mon ami ;)

My problem is that I absolutely love the proof sets and the way they shine, the depth of the strikes and the clarity of the coins, I see them and they make me go weak at the knees, but, I know I will have to lock them away or some thieving little git will have them of off me.

So, I thought I would also collect the run of the mill circulated sets that I can have at home to look at and drool over, and yet as much as I like the proof sets, i have to ask myself, are they "real" coins in the collecting sense, I mean proofs are ok but you buy them in sets, circulated ones whilst maybe grotty or knocked are life, they have a history, they have a story to them, they have mystery and in some cases the chase and allure of finding a rarer one is part of the fun, isnt it ?.

I see the wisdom in collecting those older coins, the silver and gold ones, they are in some cases rare and alluring, yet, I will have to lock them away like marley or scrooge and I want to get them out at home and feel them, look them over and all that makes the chase worthwile.

So, What do I do !. Chase one or the other, or both but the proofs in moderation. Ebay i hate you, it's like a kid in a candy shop, where to go, and where to stop.

Scratch that itch with postdecimal proof sets! Seriously, they go at auction for no more than half their Spink listed value, they are nice and shiny, and they don't cost a bomb. In fact, when I start looking out some coins for you, I intend to offload some of my proof sets - how does 1974 1975 and 1976 grab you? And maybe one of 1978 or 1979 into the bargain. :)

It's a choice we all have to make. Do we lock up our coins and then we just have photos to look at, or do we have them around so we can look at them when we want? I guess it depends on how much you worry about them being nicked (assuming you're not saying your wife will break them up to pay the electric!)

In the end, whether you have boxes of proofs or piles of circulated coins, eventually your collection will be precious to you and it's loss will be a blow. It could be argued that a collection of proof sets is easier to replace than a date run or a 1903 open 3.

Certainly proofs would be easier to replace than what I collect, but I don't see the point of never seeing my coins except on visiting day!

I take sensible precautions, like not telling people I collect unless I know them or they too are collectors, stuff like that. But who wants to live in Fort Knox? I live in an ordinary house, in an ordinary street, on an ordinary island, surrounded by 20ft of ordinary razor wire, patrolled by ordinary cheetah/shark/crocodile hybrids. The only known animal that can chase you down on land or water and bite your head off while smiling and crying at the same time ... :P

Scratch that itch with postdecimal proof sets! Seriously, they go at auction for no more than half their Spink listed value, they are nice and shiny, and they don't cost a bomb. In fact, when I start looking out some coins for you, I intend to offload some of my proof sets - how does 1974 1975 and 1976 grab you? And maybe one of 1978 or 1979 into the bargain. :)

:D :D :D I am smiling, in fact i look like one of the black and white minstrels !, oh god that shows my age doesn't it.

I bought 6 sets for £15 and 10 predecimal sets for £4 from a postcard fair...they will sit there gathering dust...although one set is BU...can't resist a bargain...offers please in a plain envelope (John can supply cheap envelopes ;) )

I bought 6 sets for £15 and 10 predecimal sets for £4 from a postcard fair...they will sit there gathering dust...although one set is BU...can't resist a bargain...offers please in a plain envelope (John can supply cheap envelopes ;) )

Do you mean the blue wallets? I'd say 40p each wasn't a bad price (just over twice face value) - if you can find any buyers! You can't usually find proof sets at £2.50 each -what dates were they?

Do you mean the blue wallets? I'd say 40p each wasn't a bad price (just over twice face value) - if you can find any buyers! You can't usually find proof sets at £2.50 each -what dates were they?

Their mine I tell you, all mine, i lost them earlier. Well I am up for one of each set please, 40p each Peck ! bit expensive isn't it... :lol: Peter, give me a price in total please.

Yep the blue ones.& the proof sets were late 70's (some toned) over 30 years old now.They are a thing that I don't collect but have aquired.I found some old foreign unc sets from the 60's.They sold them in Smiths.

Yep the blue ones.& the proof sets were late 70's (some toned) over 30 years old now.They are a thing that I don't collect but have aquired.I found some old foreign unc sets from the 60's.They sold them in Smiths.

As a side collection, I've started to collect pre-1965 US proof sets (working from 1964 backwards - have only reached 1961 so far, though...), the sets can be got relatively cheaply (recently bought a perfect condition 1962 set for only £10 on eBay! The silver content alone is worth more than that, though that really was a bargain) and the 1/2 Dollar, 1/4 dollar and 10 cents coins are 90% silver - I have problems with seeing base metal "silver" coins as real coins for some reason (though don't have this issue with copper...)

As a side collection, I've started to collect pre-1965 US proof sets (working from 1964 backwards - have only reached 1961 so far, though...), the sets can be got relatively cheaply (recently bought a perfect condition 1962 set for only £10 on eBay! The silver content alone is worth more than that, though that really was a bargain) and the 1/2 Dollar, 1/4 dollar and 10 cents coins are 90% silver - I have problems with seeing base metal "silver" coins as real coins for some reason (though don't have this issue with copper...)

Only silver coins I have are a 1964 and 1965 kennedy half dollar and a couple of sixpences. Probably not worth a great deal as silver goes.

Only silver coins I have are a 1964 and 1965 kennedy half dollar and a couple of sixpences. Probably not worth a great deal as silver goes.

Only the 1964 Kennedy half dollar is 90% silver, the 1965-1970 issues had an outer layer of 80% silver and 20% copper but an inner layer of 20% silver and 80% copper, think it averages out at 40% silver or something like that - a bit like the 50% 1920-1945 50% British Silver I guess!

Only the 1964 Kennedy half dollar is 90% silver, the 1965-1970 issues had an outer layer of 80% silver and 20% copper but an inner layer of 20% silver and 80% copper, think it averages out at 40% silver or something like that - a bit like the 50% 1920-1945 50% British Silver I guess!

I don't like em anyway, matter of honour, it aint british old chap. Still it's a coin.

Right, The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain by Freeman. Is there any major difference between the old 1985 print and the latest one APART from the prices. I ask because I can get the old one cheaper than the new one.

I don't like em anyway, matter of honour, it aint british old chap. Still it's a coin.

LOL! Well they're sort of British, lost colony and all that ;-)

Right, The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain by Freeman. Is there any major difference between the old 1985 print and the latest one APART from the prices. I ask because I can get the old one cheaper than the new one.

Are you really sure you want one.?A Spink and Collectors Coins GB would be a good start.

A good read for the novice is Coincrafts 2000 catalogue.Ignore the pricing although it is about right now.

Coincraft is a big lump of wood and can also be used to reach those high shelves or change a lightbulb.

The old Freeman ones used to go for £100 and the new one £30/£35.Try a library copy.

Are you really sure you want one.?A Spink and Collectors Coins GB would be a good start.

A good read for the novice is Coincrafts 2000 catalogue.Ignore the pricing although it is about right now.

Coincraft is a big lump of wood and can also be used to reach those high shelves or change a lightbulb.

The old Freeman ones used to go for £100 and the new one £30/£35.Try a library copy.

Peter, i already have a spink and CCGB 2011 ( of amazon ), I don't have the coincraft book though, but is it that good, I don't like borrowing from librarys because just when you desperately need to look something up the sods want it back.

The 2nd edition was printed over 10 years ago but an excellent reference.The paper is rubbish but the content useful.

The 2nd edition was printed over 10 years ago but an excellent reference.The paper is rubbish but the content useful.

Thank you peter, it is the educational / reference content I need. So that is handy.

That's not the first edition - which was 1969? 1970? But because the 1985 is more up to date than the 1st edition, and is also out of print, it fetches more than twice as much (usually).

That's not the first edition - which was 1969? 1970? But because the 1985 is more up to date than the 1st edition, and is also out of print, it fetches more than twice as much (usually).

I never saw the point to that with regard to prices except to a book collector.

The image quality is much better in the second edition, so I read somewhere, which is why I purchased that particular edition for myself. I've never browsed the first edition to check this out for myself however.

If you think you're hooked now, just wait until you start scanning over the pages of Freeman!

Tie up your purse strings and throw away your cheque book would be my advice ;-)

I never saw the point to that with regard to prices except to a book collector.

Ahh, pish, I never meant to embed the reply in the middle of the above text like that, damned phone!

Try again...The image quality is much better in the second edition, so I read somewhere, which is why I purchased that particular edition for myself. I've never browsed the first edition to check this out for myself however.

If you think you're hooked now, just wait until you start scanning over the pages of Freeman!

Tie up your purse strings and throw away your cheque book would be my advice ;-)